IN-PROGRESS: "Iway" 195 Relocation/Wash. Bridge

Anybody got any intel on the tent city that continues to grow beneath the disused eastbound elevated portion of 195. Today I saw for the first time a large American flag/eagle artwork and a 'donation' receptacle so drivers can roll down their windows and toss coins.

First saw it in Feb or so. It got smaller then almost doubled last few weeks.

Anybody?

• 1 month later...

• Replies 711
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Brown, Johnson & Wales, seek Route 195 land. Brown University and Johnson & Wales University are asking the General Assembly to give them first claim on nearly six acres of prime downtown real estate that will become available when the relocation of Route 195 is complete.

http://www.projo.com/ri/providence/content...28.40489d3.html

Brown, Johnson & Wales, seek Route 195 land. Brown University and Johnson & Wales University are asking the General Assembly to give them first claim on nearly six acres of prime downtown real estate that will become available when the relocation of Route 195 is complete.

http://www.projo.com/ri/providence/content...28.40489d3.html

What happened to the vision to transform the 195 area into a center for biotech and information technology industries that would offer a mix of private and non-profit institutions? If the vision is to model

^I agree with the general sentiment of Urbaner's and Jim's posts, but I don't foresee any shortage of developable land in the vicinity of 195 anytime soon. Even if JW and Brown gobbled up literally all of the new parcels, there are literally acres of surface lots within a three-minute walk of the old 195 that could be developed by the high-tech firms we're supposed to be attracting.

^I agree with the general sentiment of Urbaner's and Jim's posts, but I don't foresee any shortage of developable land in the vicinity of 195 anytime soon. Even if JW and Brown gobbled up literally all of the new parcels, there are literally acres of surface lots within a three-minute walk of the old 195 that could be developed by the high-tech firms we're supposed to be attracting.

The problem is the people who own those lots aren't selling them.

...because they're more profitable as surface lots. One step at a time. I think this use of the land could work out really well, and it'll jump start the development of this land. What I've always been wondering is what state the land will sit in until it's developed. I'm a little worried about vast areas of barren land in the Jewelry District. If too much of it sits empty for long enough, it could become a problem. I think that pre-packaging the area a little bit with a devoted focus could really speed up the process of filling the rest of it up, THEN the pressure to develop the nearby lots will hopefully rid us of many of the surface lots. To be honest though, in this economic climate, it could be a decade or two before we fill this land.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Question: While looking for a place for an afternoon rendezvous I noticed that there are parking spaces underneath the new "Iway". Exactly what are the purposes of this parking lot?

Afternoon rendezvous, and a depositorium for empty beer containers.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RIDOT to open last major link of Rte. 195 Iway project

The major ramps to be opened next Tuesday will carry westbound traffic on Route 195 to Route 95 north. The state Department of Transportation says it will open the last major segment in its relocation of Route 195 next Tuesday.

http://newsblog.projo.com/2009/10/dot-to-o...or-link-of.html

Archived