IN-PROGRESS: "Iway" 195 Relocation/Wash. Bridge

• Replies 711
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found this photo from Richmond, VA in a thread in the photo section.

Richmond8-12-05006.jpg

I think it's a nice illustration of how green space can co-exist with elevated highways (though it doesn't show what is actually under the highway). An important thing for Providence to think about in regards to the 195 relocation project and it's impact on connections between the Jewelry District, Narragansett Landing, and the Hospitals.

Here's a view of the area from Live Local.

Here are some images from today of how the 195 work is looking high up from the top floor of Rhode Island Hospital. These are pretty bad photos, taken on a dreary day fairly late in the evening (thus the sky-high ISO and resultant graininess, plus taken out of Windows that might not have been cleaned since the Main Bldg was built back in the 50's or 60's).

It does give an idea, though, of how much progress has been made when you compare them to the photos I took earlier (http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=5595&view=findpost&p=70916).

The second photo is a zoom from the first, taking a look at the East Side part's progress...

- Garris

195reconstruction14ga.jpg

195reconstruction29gt.jpg

This has probably been covered before: When is the rebuilt Point St. overpass over 95 supposed to open?

I think there was a ProJo article on this recently. Cotuit is right, it's waaaay behind schedule. I think completion is now scheduled for "when its done." I recall that there were several cost overruns, unexpected engineering challenges, and a dispute or two with some contractors.

- Garris

Thanks Garris. But I would really like to see an overhead photo. Do you fly!? :rofl: Hey, didn't we have a poster here a while back who flew? Yes, I believe he posted some neat pics.

That's me Frankie. I'm still here though not so much actively contributing. I have done plenty of flying, but at odd hours of the day that didn't provide the best photo-taking opportunities. But maybe this weekend we can change all that!

The first blast to take down the old Jamestown Brigde is scheduled for April 11th. Then I believe I heard that it will take 4 to 6 weeks to clear away the steel and get ready for the second blast to take out some of the supports.

My question is, has anyone thought about how this might effect the "I-Bridge"? Isn't it scheduled to be floated up the bay this spring? (Or are they going up the other passage?)

That Jamestown Bridge debrie better not get in it's way!! I hope they planned for this!

The first blast to take down the old Jamestown Brigde is scheduled for April 11th. Then I believe I heard that it will take 4 to 6 weeks to clear away the steel and get ready for the second blast to take out some of the supports.

My question is, has anyone thought about how this might effect the "I-Bridge"? Isn't it scheduled to be floated up the bay this spring? (Or are they going up the other passage?)

That Jamestown Bridge debrie better not get in it's way!! I hope they planned for this!

Won't be a problem. The IWay bridge is being built at Quonset -- that is to say, already north of the Jamestown bridges.

I can't believe the speed of this project. Is this the same RIDOT which took 5 years to replace 2 bridges which carry Route 10 over Cranston Street? Kudos!

To be fair, the Route 10 project had to account for currently existing traffic whereas this one does not. They could only do half a bridge at a time on Route 10 or else close the freeway which was not an option. The Iway can be done all at once since its new and no one is driving over it yet.

I can't believe the speed of this project. Is this the same RIDOT which took 5 years to replace 2 bridges which carry Route 10 over Cranston Street? Kudos!

Its the same RIDOT that is taking a decade to replace the bridges on Rt 114 in Barrington and Warren. The old Warren bridge has not even been demolished yet and it's been closed for about as long as the Jamestown Bridge!

To be fair, the Route 10 project had to account for currently existing traffic whereas this one does not. They could only do half a bridge at a time on Route 10 or else close the freeway which was not an option. The Iway can be done all at once since its new and no one is driving over it yet.

Yep, and when it comes time to connect the new highway by the ends, I bet that alone will take a quarter of the time it took to make the whole thing.

If you want to see slow progress, though, you should see what they've been doing in Bridgeport, CT for the past 25 years. :P There was an overpass project on I-95 in Attleboro/Plainville area that also took some 7 years to complete, and involved building, essentially, a new highway in the median to keep the traffic flowing.

I don't know if there are any plans to do so, but I would really like to see RIDoT have a bridge walk for the public in advance of the bridge opening to traffic, like was done with the Artery Tunnel and Zakim Brodge in Boston.

I don't know if there are any plans to do so, but I would really like to see RIDoT have a bridge walk for the public in advance of the bridge opening to traffic, like was done with the Artery Tunnel and Zakim Brodge in Boston.

They did exactly that when the new Jamestown Bridge opened in 1992. I went there and it was fun! They had barber shop quartets and some string bands playing on the bridge that day. There were several thousand pedestrians walking the bridge that day.

They did exactly that when the new Jamestown Bridge opened in 1992. I went there and it was fun! They had barber shop quartets and some string bands playing on the bridge that day. There were several thousand pedestrians walking the bridge that day.

Start the email engine to them. Here is some info if anyone would like to gety thier attention

RIDOT Director 's Office

401-222-2481

[email protected]

Executive Staff

Public Affairs

401-222-1362

e-mail [email protected]

Human Resources

401-222-2572

Legal Services

401-222-6510

And for the record i think it sounds like a great Idea. Give the community a sence of Pride and achievment.

Archived