IN-PROGRESS: "Iway" 195 Relocation/Wash. Bridge

I'm thinking more along the lines of just a nicer place to walk for the residents of the city. I used to live on Orms st. and would often walk down that way and thought that if SOME improvements were made for pedestrians then it could liven the street up. I don't see any reason for that end of the street to be in such unfriendly condition if you consider that from there there is; a gallery, a performance auditorium, a luxurious hotel (will be), a church, a club, countless B&Bs, lots of residents, and plenty of buildings/lots with potential, all within a two minute walking distance, then why does it feel like downtown ends at the mall? To me, it would make sense for this to be one of the most pedestrian friendly areas in the city. Instead, there is a huge divide between two one-way streets, the river is obscured by sloppy, unkept, trees and trash, and it's a pain to cross to the other side. Nothing new in the area will really thrive as long as it's as hard as it is cross the street on foot.

In a neighborhood with thousands of residents, you don't see many people walking around.

• Replies 711
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm thinking more along the lines of just a nicer place to walk for the residents of the city.  I used to live on Orms st. and would often walk down that way and thought that if SOME improvements were made for pedestrians then it could liven the street up.  I don't see any reason for that end of the street to be in such unfriendly condition if you consider that from there there is; a gallery, a performance auditorium, a luxurious hotel (will be), a church, a club, countless B&Bs, lots of residents, and plenty of buildings/lots with potential, all within a two minute walking distance, then why does it feel like downtown ends at the mall?  To me, it would make sense for this to be one of the most pedestrian friendly areas in the city.  Instead, there is a huge divide between two one-way streets, the river is obscured by sloppy, unkept, trees and trash,  and it's a pain to cross to the other side.  Nothing new in the area will really thrive as long as it's as hard as it is cross the street on foot.

In a neighborhood with thousands of residents, you don't see many people walking around.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You make some really good points... To add to them, the city should come full circle, by putting some work into this section and heading out to the end of the streor et (what is it valley) you would actully be conecting the city to federal hill from both ends of atwells, maybe even prompting some much needed atention to the PC section.(wake me up I dreaming) Another thing, the east siders wouldnt care so much about the interuption of there veiw if there wasnt one. Having large condos, office building on both sides of 95 would be awsome...

It is sort of developed through the Promenade and along Kinsley Street to Eagle Square. But it's really half-assed and not maintained.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I actually drove down this way this morning to check it out, as it had been a LONG time since I had been down there. Im curious as to why it was developed like this and what the original plan was. It seems like they started to spruce it up in hopes of attracting new businesses or something but it just never came together. I remember thinking it was odd 10 or 15 years ago seeing that they had these nice streetlights and park benches and whatnot running down this street of abandoned mills and warehouses. The cool thing is that it wouldnt take too much for them to make it really nice. Hell, just trimming back the trees and bushes and slapping some paint on the railings would make a huge change.

Liam

The olde tyme lampposts were a stupid investment, whenever the investment was made. Typical Cianci pandering for votes with no thought on the longterm, i.e. almost every single one of those lampposts in damaged in someway. You see the same thing on Federal Hill, where we have those fancy lights, but apparently no budget to maintain them (and they are a different style, make all the olde tyme lamps in the city the same to drive down the cost of maintainence).

The Eagle Square/Rising Sun and Jefferson/Foundry projects are now starting to send out tendrils to make that area more attractive. It will become a pedestrianized corridor as more development fills in the spaces between.

I agree, sweep the sidewalks, pick the weeds, cut back the overgrowth, fix the lamps, and repaint the lan markings for the bikelanes and that stretch is back in business. But the city needs to find someway to keep it up, I say make the developers pay for it.

The olde tyme lampposts were a stupid investment, whenever the investment was made. Typical Cianci pandering for votes with no thought on the longterm, i.e. almost every single one of those lampposts in damaged in someway. You see the same thing on Federal Hill, where we have those fancy lights, but apparently no budget to maintain them (and they are a different style, make all the olde tyme lamps in the city the same to drive down the cost of maintainence).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A heads-up for all:

The awful condition of Atwells is about to finally get some attention! RIDOT will begin rebuilding the roadway, sidewalks, and I think refurbishing or replacing all of the streetlights beginning either this summer or next summer (I am pretty sure this summer). So, be prepared for some traffic and detours, but this is some sorely needed work on The Hill.

The awful condition of Atwells is about to finally get some attention! RIDOT will begin rebuilding the roadway, sidewalks, and I think refurbishing or replacing all of the streetlights beginning either this summer or next summer (I am pretty sure this summer). So, be prepared for some traffic and detours, but this is some sorely needed work on The Hill.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh thank Maude! I hope they work on the alleys too, I should probably bother my councilor on that one. I should tell my landlord to bug him, she can get whatever she wants done on the hill.

Seriously, Atwells is going to be a dirt road if it gets put off much further, I hope they get rid of all those stupid brick plaza areas (although the brick is holding up better than the pavement in most cases).

The Federal Hill Arch is crumbling too, another Cianci thing with no budget for maintainence.

Seems we may have quite a bit of road work coming up (which is good, because it is sorely needed). We have Atwells, this year or next. Finishing up Washington Street this summer. Rebuilding Empire for two-way traffic (will have to impact LaSalle Square somehow). Rebuilding Weybosset for two-way traffic (hopefully that will spill onto Dorrance). Union Street becoming two-way at Grant's Block.

Anything else?

Seems we may have quite a bit of road work coming up (which is good, because it is sorely needed). We have Atwells, this year or next. Finishing up Washington Street this summer. Rebuilding Empire for two-way traffic (will have to impact LaSalle Square somehow). Rebuilding Weybosset for two-way traffic (hopefully that will spill onto Dorrance). Union Street becoming two-way at Grant's Block.

Anything else?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Elmwood Ave for its entire length in Providence - construction next (2006) summer.

You can't tell me that places like the Jefferson and the Foundry wouldn't be much more enticing if the riverwalk went by them as well.  The current state of river seems like a sort of developmental limbo, there are spots where you can walk over it and hang out but nothing alongside it.  The rivers aren't really appreciated/used by anyone else but pedestrians, it's nice to see that there is work being done but there needs to be work done where people live, not just where people visit.  Is that an unreasonable desire?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know that some good work was being done by the Woonasquatucket River Greenway Project, but I haven't heard anything about them lately. Maybe their funding dried up. There's a map of the greenway here.

I know that some good work was being done by the Woonasquatucket River Greenway Project,  but I haven't heard anything about them lately.  Maybe their funding dried up.  There's a map of the greenway here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They're still going strong...they just got a pretty major United Way grant to continue the work on a project they are calling the Riverside Gateway, or something like that I think. There should be some good stuff coming out of that in the next year or two.

Anything else?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's good to hear about Atwells. I hope they do the Jewelry District soon, as there are large swaths of roadway there that almost can't be traversed by vehicular traffic. I was around the Elbow Street area today and, man, it was like horse and buggy road conditioning there.

Is there a reason this area is in such disproportionate disrepair?

- Garris

I know that some good work was being done by the Woonasquatucket River Greenway Project,  but I haven't heard anything about them lately.  Maybe their funding dried up.  There's a map of the greenway here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Aren't they more focussed on areas upstream from Eagle Square?

Is there a reason this area is in such disproportionate disrepair?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Three decades of corruption.

• 1 month later...

The drive of the future: Rerouting 195

Hi...

I was looking around for a good webcam site that was keeping an eye on the Gtech Construction! No luck ... but I did find Telecamsystems. They have an awesome view of 195 from the 20th floor of the Former Fleet Building.

This will be really cool once they start the heavy work of moving the high way. Hopefully the site will be up throughout the work.

Check out these views:

Looking East toward South Water Street

MAY0505A.jpg

Looking South at 195 and Point Street Bridge

(notice the crane where then new 195 Bridge is going)

MAY0505C.jpg

Looking Southwest at the current 195/95 interchange

MAY0505D.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Providence Business News article about 195 relocation work.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"The project is slated for completion some time in 2011 or 2012."

I hope that is including the demo of the old highway! I don't think the old I-195 has another 6 years of life left in it! Have you ever seen the underside of it? Pretty scary! I get nervous every time I'm under the highway and have to wait for the light on Wickenden street to turn.

EPBOY,

I'm wondering how you got the following picture:

MAY0505A.jpg

I tried to replicate the same pic on the website you posted and I can't figure out how to zoom in as far as you got or get to the same location without cutting and pasting images together.

Any tips?

EPBOY,

I'm wondering how you got the following picture:

Any tips?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Piece of cake, kinematix! Glad to be able to help. :D

OK, when you get to http://www.telecamsystems.com/providence, you see the 5 panel panaramic hourly shot. JUST ABOVE that, you will see "Six More Views From The Fleet Center". Click on it, then any of the thumbnails you see and you will see the same angles and zooms as the photos I posted.

1_image.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Anyone interested in the history of I-195? (Yes, I am truly a geek!)

Everything you ever wanted to know (and more) is at Bostonroads.com

including this preconstruction rendering from 1947 of a proposal for the part of the highway that was to be elevated over downtown/Dyer St..

img8.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Archived