COMPLETED: Connecticut Science Center @ Adriaen's Landing

Cotuit

• 1 month later...

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just had a job in the Convention Center today (my first trip in, VERY nice...), and I got to overlook this site. Still looks like a big mudpit, but they have a big crane there, which I think is the piledriver SOCOM was talking about.

• 1 month later...

Because of soil contamination on the site, they cannot escavate like they normally would. So they are driving piles into the ground to support the building.

Looks like 90% of the piles are in the ground. This summer we should really start to see this thing take shape.

• 1 month later...

The project is moving right along. There are some new contsruction pictures at ctcse.org. The pile driving was completed about 3 weeks ago. Now they are putting "caps" on the piles. I'm not exactly familair with this step in the construction process, but it seems to me the capping of the piles is the final step before the steel starts rising.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just about to ask about access from the Founder's Bridge to the CCC via the science center, but TB beat me to it! I think I read that one of those CCC outside plaza nooks--the eastern most if I recall--facing north is going to extend over the road and to the science center and to the bridge. I like that idea, but I also can understand why it would be good to "force" people to the street. Wasn't that the whole idea of getting rid of the skywalk over Trumbull?

I really don't like the name of this thing. How many people are really going to call it that in casual conversation? I find myself calling it the Connecticut Science Center. It's like the GHO...nine times out of 10 people still call it the GHO and not the Buick Championship or Travelers Championship. (Although, since Travelers has strong Hartford ties, that may work slightly better. I proopsed they rename the tournament the Travelers Hartford Open. I got no reply!)

Edit: D'OH! I just went to their website and right on top it says, "On May 26, 2006, the Connecticut Center for Science & Exploration changed its name to Connecticut Science Center." They must have heard me in conversation. :) Good move!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

How much parking will there be? Where will it be?

I hope it turns out as good as this one, my kids loved it

www.montshire.org

According to the museum's website, there will be 470 parking spaces on-site in the garage that will be beneath the center. Additionally, there are garages going up at the "Front Street" site, although its anybody's guess when those will be accessible. The Morgan St. Garage is not a really long walk from there...so that will be an option as well. I believe there are but I am not sure, are there places to park that are a short walk from the pedestrian bridge in East Hartford?

For people traveling I-91N to I-84W & Trumbull Street you get a really good view of the site...and all the work thats going on...so as to let those people who drive through the city know theres stuff going on in the city so stop and take a look

For people traveling I-91N to I-84W & Trumbull Street you get a really good view of the site...and all the work thats going on...so as to let those people who drive through the city know theres stuff going on in the city so stop and take a look

I passed by today. Looks like there making great progress.

• 3 months later...

Archived