COMPLETED: Connecticut Science Center @ Adriaen's Landing

Cotuit

The CC parking garage is also used by the Marriott I believe. I personally would not want a large convention to get in the way of local Science Center patrons though. Also this abundance of parking will make it impossible for anyone to claim there is not enough parking near Front Street for customer parking once that project gets under way.

Tycoon's got a point. Yes the CCC garage may not be full 24/7, but a good way of making sure people never come back to your museum is to make it a hassle for them to park. If there is a huge convention in town, and people can't find a good place to park, thye are just going to not bother and go home.

I don't have a problem with plenty of garaged parking with a good facade. The more spaces available in garages, the less valuable those surface lots become.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My point is the close proximity of the two garages. We could have build just one taking both places into consideration. I am quite sure a large garage is cheaper than two smaller ones. Plus even if there is a huge convention and the convention center garage is full, there are multiple garages on Market Street that are less than a 5 minutes walk.

Speaking of garages. I was at Santa Monica over the weekend. Friday night's garage parking at the Third Street Promenade was $3.00 for the evening. Not to say this is why Third Street Promenade is one of the destination spots for LA residents and visitors all over the world, but I certainly would have expected Hartford to be less than the tony LA. I don't know how much city owned garages charge, but 3 bucks a night wouldn't be a bad idea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Street_Promenade

I've spent a lot of time in Santa Monica. One of the reasons for the success of the Promenade is the abundance of parking. There are multiple garages on 2nd Street , there are garages on 4th Street. Sears has its own parking on Colorado Street. The Broadway mall has its own parking garage. There is street parking everywhere. There is so much parking (supply) that no garage can overcharge (demand).

There is also parking at multiple lots at the pier and numerous hotels and restaurants have their own lots.

Parking is never a problem (almost never). The lesson of Santa Monica is that lots of parking garages equals lots of people.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Umm I thought that problem was addressed before construction started. The original plan had the roof hanging OVER the highway. I know that problem was brought up, perhaps nobody acted on it. I don't think the roof is over the highway, but with wind maybe it could be a problem? Not that I care about keeping the highway neat, I'd rather have the highway shut down.

Tunnel for 91? I'm still of the mindset that 84 needs to be buried.Riverfront Recapture has in my opinion done a fab job overcoming the mistake that was 91,now the Science Center is sort of a crown to their achievment and perseverance.

The attitude definitely sucks around here. It's the total opposite of what I experienced in Atlanta when I was in college down there. They have a "can do" mind set and we have a "can't do" simple as that. It sucks and if anything ever gets me to leave CT it will be that attitude!

Anyone read the comments section on that article? What a bunch of short-sighted Hartford haters (a few exceptions).... Hartford isn't the problem, it's the attitude of this region that sucks...

I read it; the naysayers were out in force in the beginning, but they seemed to be in the minority. The Courant's comments sections seems to really attract a negative crowd though, I remember one person, commenting on another article, advocating constructing a wall around Hartford. Anyways, it's good to see this slight hiccup in construction being dealt with promptly; I can't wait until I get back to CT and see the progress.

This is the roof problem I heard about. I really don't think that the ice issue is real given the horizontal distance between the roof and the highway. Without engaging in the discussion of who pays for the repair of the elevation/deflection problem, predicting the behavior of unrestrained formed steel components is as much art as science. When you are pushing the envelope with pieces at the scale of the monumental roof structure of the science center, the possibility of problems is pretty great and when problems arise they need to be taken in stride. The posts on the Courant article drawing similarities to the I-84 debacle are evidence of the ignorace of the posters.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived