COMPLETED: Connecticut Science Center @ Adriaen's Landing

Cotuit

Does anyone have any new photos of the progress on the Science Center? After seeing the renderings for the past year, it has really grown on me. I think it's going to look great coming down 91 and coming into the city from 84 East.

You won't be able to miss the structure and it should have a curiosity appeal to people passing by the highway and also the convention center.

I just hope they put things that compliment the Science Center around it such as family restaurant/chain restaurant. Hartford needs some chains so visitors have a comfortable/familair place to eat. Even Newbury Street in Boston has Fridays and a Joe's Bar and Grill.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This building is going to look amazing from Columbus Blvd. and will really transform the streetscape. The parking garage is hidden behind street level "storefront" (as it always should be) encased in glass. It connects Riverfront Park with the Convention Center with a beautiful public space at the plaza level. And the huge video screen 2 and 3 stories up on Columbus is impressive. The structure will be an icon for the city when viewed from the river or East Hartford. The overall design of the project is classic Pelli... it fits into its environment perfectly while adding tremendously to its surroundings with a pedestrian friendly structure full of light in a classy yet bold design. What a great project for downtown.

This building is going to look amazing from Columbus Blvd. and will really transform the streetscape. The parking garage is hidden behind street level "storefront" (as it always should be) encased in glass. It connects Riverfront Park with the Convention Center with a beautiful public space at the plaza level. And the huge video screen 2 and 3 stories up on Columbus is impressive. The structure will be an icon for the city when viewed from the river or East Hartford. The overall design of the project is classic Pelli... it fits into its environment perfectly while adding tremendously to its surroundings with a pedestrian friendly structure full of light in a classy yet bold design. What a great project for downtown.

Icon is a good word. I've said before we need more iconic buildings in the city, and this should be one. In fact, we now have 3 within a one block area (Travelers Tower, Phoenix/boat building, Science Center).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Newest image.

28074250.jpg

From looking at that picture there is no "tower crane". I always wondered why here out west the Tower crane is the choice of contractors. There are about 6 tower cranes up in the air in Tempe, make a visitor really think there is developing going on. Anyone know why there isn't many tower cranes used in the Northeast? Is it because of the terrain?

• 4 weeks later...

The bottom concrete section is nearing completion. Once that is done, the glass and steel portion will rise above Riverfront Plaza. Should be something to see.

mar07_1lg.jpg

Looking at this picture, I just thought of a possible unintended consequence of the Science Center to the Riverfront Plaza.

Being on the Plaza for the 4th of July etc I've always been amazed at how quiet it is up there from Highway noise. Once that glass building goes up I'm willing to bet the freeway noise will bounce off onto the plaza. I hope not, but I'm not holding my breath.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

According to HBJ Today (Hartford Business Journal's free daily e-newsletter):

Science Center construction underway

The first steel beam of the Connecticut Science Center at Adriaen's Landing in Hartford was laid this morning. The center is broadcasting the construction of the center 24 hours a day online from a camera mounted atop the neighboring Marriott Hotel. About 20 steel beams will be laid by the end of the day. By July, the structure should be eight stories tall and comprise 30,000 tons of steel.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe I am just in a negative mood, but why on earth do we need separate parking garages for the Convention Center and the Science Center? The existing brand spanking new Convention Center parking garage is just a stone throw away. Couldn't they designed one garage for both places? Is the Convention Center parking garage even half full? This is a waste of tax payers money.

Maybe I am just in a negative mood, but why on earth do we need separate parking garages for the Convention Center and the Science Center? The existing brand spanking new Convention Center parking garage is just a stone throw away. Couldn't they designed one garage for both places? Is the Convention Center parking garage even half full? This is a waste of tax payers money.

The CC parking garage is also used by the Marriott I believe. I personally would not want a large convention to get in the way of local Science Center patrons though. Also this abundance of parking will make it impossible for anyone to claim there is not enough parking near Front Street for customer parking once that project gets under way.

Archived