COMPLETED: Connecticut Science Center @ Adriaen's Landing

Cotuit

Hartford needs a bus staging area away from downtown. Just look at all the school buses idling in front of the Civic Center (Bodies Revealed) and G Fox (Capital Prep). Everytime I walk by these areas the air is full of diesel fumes and the sidewalk is blocked by a wall of buses. I hope the city has figured this out. Chances are they have not and school buses will be idling all over the city soon with Columbus Blvd a mess. Unless they plan to have the buses waiting underneath the museum, which is ridiculous yet would not surprise me.

I agree with you here Mikel, I think the busses idle by the XL center because of the sports medicine school do they not? that school is moving over by Colt in the next year or so so that will help.

on a simular tact I would like to see the bus stop in front of the old state house moved. This building in conciderably less attractive to visitors due to the bus structures and people loitering. There is an old picture on the wall inside of SHS Office foodcourt hall way and it looks so much nicer. I am sure they can move the bus stop 1 block and provide the same service.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hartford needs a bus staging area away from downtown. Just look at all the school buses idling in front of the Civic Center (Bodies Revealed) and G Fox (Capital Prep). Everytime I walk by these areas the air is full of diesel fumes and the sidewalk is blocked by a wall of buses. I hope the city has figured this out. Chances are they have not and school buses will be idling all over the city soon with Columbus Blvd a mess. Unless they plan to have the buses waiting underneath the museum, which is ridiculous yet would not surprise me.

Until Renaissance Place is started (HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!), that empty lot on Main/Asylum would do.

• 4 weeks later...

They have made very good progress on the glass skin of the building on the North side. All but one panel is in place. unfortunately they keep the glass covered with plastic to protect it during construction, so its not that glamorous, but it looks good to see the progress. I also saw seceral welding archs and such on the flying carpet this AM

• 2 weeks later...

I just walked to E. Hartford and back by way of the river walk. Damn its nice out!!

The updated image is the one they are using for the signage on the construction site itself.

Also that place is crawling with workers today with the nice weather. I hope they can keep to this kind of activity and we can see some serious progress this spring.

I did see some new steel was added along Columbus street. I wonder if its the framing for a retail location or some such appropriate street frontage.

• 4 weeks later...

I drove past the Science Center this morning and it looks like the crane is finally moving on the "magic carpet" - rumor has it that there is an additional 40,000 lbs of steel going up (another source reported 40 tons - 80,000 lbs - I don't know which report is right so I went conservative).

I drove past the Science Center this morning and it looks like the crane is finally moving on the "magic carpet" - rumor has it that there is an additional 40,000 lbs of steel going up (another source reported 40 tons - 80,000 lbs - I don't know which report is right so I went conservative).

cool

I have not noticed any changes for a while.

maybe I will bring my camera to work tomorrow and stroll on over there.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.hartfordbusiness.com/news5495.html

The Science Of Predictions

Conservative visitor estimates aim to safeguard budget

By Diane Weaver Dunne

Hartford Business Journal Staff Writer

reading the article I am not so surehow conservative they are being. I hope everything works out well for this museum as it is a great feature for the city.

I hope it does not become something for every nay sayer to beotch about.

http://www.hartfordbusiness.com/news5495.html

The Science Of Predictions

Conservative visitor estimates aim to safeguard budget

By Diane Weaver Dunne

Hartford Business Journal Staff Writer

reading the article I am not so surehow conservative they are being. I hope everything works out well for this museum as it is a great feature for the city.

I hope it does not become something for every nay sayer to beotch about.

450k sounds pretty modest, considering the library article says that it gets 400k a year now.

450k sounds pretty modest, considering the library article says that it gets 400k a year now.

The Library is F R E E :)

I have been to the Library to boot Heroin and have sex a few times in the last year, but I likely will not go to the Science center as often.

In reality, I likely will go to the science center once by myself and maybe once when my father the science teacher visits me, and who knows if ever again untill I have kids. The Library I will walk to any time there is an interesting thing to see (like the thing about burying the highway) or if I really want a good book or some reference material.

And I write that as someone who has an acute interest in science and does not have the patience or attention span to read most books.

I really do hope that it not only makes its target but surpasses it.

with the break down that they give in the article they expect 90k school kids 90k tourists, and 270k regular people. its the 270k i am worried about.

The Library is F R E E :)

I have been to the Library to boot Heroin and have sex a few times in the last year, but I likely will not go to the Science center as often.

In reality, I likely will go to the science center once by myself and maybe once when my father the science teacher visits me, and who knows if ever again untill I have kids. The Library I will walk to any time there is an interesting thing to see (like the thing about burying the highway) or if I really want a good book or some reference material.

And I write that as someone who has an acute interest in science and does not have the patience or attention span to read most books.

I really do hope that it not only makes its target but surpasses it.

with the break down that they give in the article they expect 90k school kids 90k tourists, and 270k regular people. its the 270k i am worried about.

LOL! Yeah, that's true. I still think it should do OK. At least it's the only interesting thing near the convention center, no Front Street to ciphon off visitors from it!

• 2 weeks later...

Nice shots!

Ahh but I went for a walk today and got more!

IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0041.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_0047.jpg

inside the guts

IMG_0049.jpg

I took these next few to give you a view of the plazas potential interaction with the river walk plaza.

This space is great for downtown and with this new plaza will bring additional life and usefulness to the area.

I also saw a park ranger on a bike. there might be a glimpse of him in the pics.

IMG_0054a.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg

and this area here is where the science center meets the street. I would be very please if someone could find a rendering of how this will look in the ned. I am hoping for something science center related, but also some stuff for pedestrians. cafes something interesting and positive for the street.

IMG_0046.jpg

anyone have a rendering from this side? or has anyone seen plans?

Pelli's generally hit or miss - some of his projects truly feel phoned in - but this is quality stuff. Unique, contemporary, and iconic; it speaks well for the city.

The visitors should bring more (hopefully significant) life to our Sundays as well.

Archived