Site Plans/Maps of New Urban Development?

Like many people on these boards, I have a general interest in urban planning and new urbanism in particular. However, when I troll the internet for interesting sites on new urbanism, I tend to come up a little short. Though the website are usually not lacking in glamor shots of traditional homes and soundbytes about the importance of walkable communities, they usually don't have very detailed comprehensive maps/site plans of their developments.

Too me, all the pretty brochure shots don't mean much unless I can see a general overview of the site layout. (This opinion has become tremendously reinforced by some of the so-called new urbanist developments, many which appear to posses very suburban layouts once you finally unearth the site plans.)

So basically, I was wondering if anyone out there knows of detailed, comprehensive, or interactive site plans for new urbanist communities? Hopefully something beyond the typical brochure shots.

(For reference, I think the website for Glenwood Parkin Atlanta easily has the most user friendly and informative maps I've seen so far)

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New Urbanism (from the Congress for New Urbanism Website: http://www.cnu.org/index.cfm)

-----------------------------------------------

New Urbanism is an urban design movement that burst onto the scene in the late 1980s and early 1990s. New Urbanists aim to reform all aspects of real estate development. Their work affects regional and local plans. They are involved in new development, urban retrofits, and suburban infill. In all cases, New Urbanist neighborhoods are walkable, and contain a diverse range of housing and jobs. new Urbanists support regional planning for open space, appropriate architecture and planning, and the balanced development of jobs and housing. They believe these strategies are the best way to reduce how long people spend in traffic, to increase the supply of affordable housing, and to rein in urban sprawl. Many other issues, such as historic restoration, safe streets, and green building are also covered in the Charter of the New Urbanism, the movement's seminal document.

-----------------------------------------------

Check out their website - if you haven't already - to get more detailed info. They just recently moved their HQ to Chicago!!!

Basically, the concept is how to design our cities to become more liveable -- less dependency on automobiles and ways to cut the destruction of our natural landscapes.

But... the question of mapping is tough. It always depends on where you are talking about. I would give them a call and see if they can offer any assistance.

Archived