Dallas Cowboys to get $650 MILLION stadium!

ElGobernador

Cowboys in line for new stadium

Arlington deal needs approval of council, voters

By THOMAS KOROSEC

Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

ARLINGTON - Arlington city officials announced Monday they have struck a deal with the Dallas Cowboys to build a $650 million, 75,000-seat retractable-roof stadium between Dallas and Fort Worth.

The deal is expected to be approved today by the Arlington City Council and also would have to be approved by city voters in November.

Under the terms, the city would pick up half the cost by levying a half-cent sales tax and raising taxes on hotel rooms and rental cars.

"I feel confident about the outcome," Arlington mayor Robert Cluck said of the stadium's prospects for council and voter approval. He pointed to an economic study that predicted a stadium would add $238 million a year to Arlington's economy.

Stephen Jones, the Cowboys' chief operating officer, told reporters: "We worked hard to do something in Dallas. It didn't work out. We're excited to be in Arlington. They had some wonderful leadership, and people worked hard to get this done."

Arlington voters have been generous to sports teams in the past. In 1991, they voted to raise $135 million in sales taxes to build a baseball stadium and keep the Texas Rangers in the city.

But Warren Norred, head of the Arlington watchdog group DFW Review, said the Rangers deal "has been great for the team owner but nobody else. This one is also worth nothing more than bragging rights."

Norred said stadium opponents are apt to be hugely outspent by the Cowboys, who have sent mailers to residents.

Meanwhile in Dallas, several officials were asking who fumbled a deal to move the team to Fair Park, a proposal that died in June when the Cowboys suddenly cut off negotiations with Dallas County officials.

In an e-mail to Dallas mayor Laura Miller that was circulated among Dallas City Council members last week, mayor pro tem Don Hill blasted the mayor for speaking out against the prospect of public financing for a stadium in Dallas.

"You have handled this important matter and trusts as the mayor very carelessly," wrote Hill, characterizing the project as important for two minority neighborhoods. "You have not sought the feelings of the council, and this way of doing things is totally wrong."

Miller, who built her career on opposition to public funding of the American Airlines Center basketball arena, told reporters she would not get into a bidding war with Arlington and would not back anything close to $325 million in public money.

"If I had $350 million to spend to give Dallas, Texas, a huge economic impact jolt, I'd put it in (remaking the city's riverfront) and downtown Dallas," she said.

State Sen. Royce West, a democrat from the city's southern sector, said Dallas lost economically by failing to lure the Cowboys from their current home in Irving.

"Somebody dropped the ball someplace," said West, who sponsored legislation in Austin that would have let Dallas County raise revenue for a stadium.

Several Dallas officials said they were unconcerned about the Cowboys' move further west.

"I wouldn't vote to give Jerry Jones one red cent," Dallas councilman Mitchell Rasansky said, referring to the team's owner.

"They aren't going to change the name to the Arlington Cowboys or the Texas Cowboys. It's taken them 40 years to build the name."

[email protected]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What do you all think of Mayor Miller's comments of spending $350 Million on riverfront development and downtown instead of a stadium that was gonna go to a not-so-hot area near downtown Dallas?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, it is not all NFL. The new stadium is a request made by the team and the owners. The city probably also wants to keep a nice look too, including a renovation or a new stadium. That is why they are asking for taxpayer's money. I agree that the NFL should pay for part of it though.

Well, it is not all NFL. The new stadium is a request made by the team and the owners. The city probably also wants to keep a nice look too, including a renovation or a new stadium. That is why they are asking for taxpayer's money. I agree that the NFL should pay for part of it though.

I think the NFL actually does contribute monies to new stadiums.

As far as being in Dallas rather than the burbs, the Cowbos wanted Dallas. Dallas did not want the Cowboys--at least as not as much as Arlington (which has 1/4 of the population of the city of Dallas and is closing in on 1/3).

Well, the Cowboys were offering Dallas County to pay $425 million in hotel and rental car tax. The percentage it would raise was simply too much of a burden. Especially when the Cowboys were already playing in Irving. The stadium will only be 15-20 minutes from downtown IF it wins in November.

Arlington was offered to pay $325 million. They have more flex room in sales tax because they aren't a DART member city. In fact, they are the largest city in the nation with no public transportation. They are notorious for voting down tax increases, except when the Rangers have wanted stadium. I'm they'll get what they want, but on game day or big events, OUCH, OUCH, OUCH, OUCH, OUCH. Did I mention OUCH!!. I-30 is only 6 lanes wide, at this point, and where 360 crosses it, there is no real interchange. Just a half clover leaf. The majority of the metroplex still lives east of Arlington, which has really created havoc for big Ranger games. The other problem will be economic impact to Arlington itself. IF they are to be rewarded a Superbowl as expected, most of the guest will have to stay outside of Arlington. Probably in Dallas and FW mostly if they want any kind of nightlife. The comparisons to Houston's Superbowl will be endless, and unfortunately people will say its Dallas' Superbowl. Anyways, good luck to them. I really hope it works out for them, because if not, they are already in financial trouble.

Meantime, the Trinity River Project broke ground in Dallas. Much, much much more important use of tax dollars. This is THE biggest project ever for Dallas.

Follow Up Story:

Arlington council OKs vote on new Cowboys stadium

Associated Press

ARLINGTON - City Council members gave initial approval Tuesday night for a deal with the Dallas Cowboys to build a $650 million football stadium in Arlington and to place the project in voters' hands.

Arlington council members unanimously voted to place a referendum on the Nov. 2 ballot asking voters to increase sales and other taxes to pay for half of the retractable-roof, 75,000-seat stadium that would be among the NFL's largest.

The council approved the deal with the Cowboys on an 8-1 vote. Councilwoman Sheri Capehart said she was voting against the plan because she had more questions than answers.

Final approval is expected at meeting next week, before the Aug. 24 deadline to put the item on the fall election ballot.

Mayor Robert Cluck said Arlington, halfway between Dallas and Fort Worth, would be the ideal location for the venue, which likely would be built next to the Texas Rangers' Ameriquest Field. Cowboys' owner Jerry Jones has said the team will not change the Dallas name.

"The organization is pleased with tonight's vote and enthusiastic about moving forward with our stadium in Arlington. Tonight's vote was a show of the overwhelming support Arlington city leaders have given this project," said Cowboys spokesman Brett Daniels.

About 50 members of Touchdown Arlington, a group formed to lobby for the stadium, held a celebratory dinner at a nearby restaurant and then marched to City Hall in time for Tuesday's meeting. Outside City Hall, a high school marching band played in support of the Cowboys.

But not everyone in Arlington is happy about the plan. About two dozen people spoke against the proposal, many saying that taxpayers should not subsidize an entertainment venue. Some said the city already had budget problems.

Members of Concerned Taxpayers of Arlington are urging residents to vote against the deal, which they say would not spur the economic development or bring the other benefits touted by the city and team.

"We're going to have to put up a whole lot of money, but we're never going to get it back," said Bruce Deramus, president of the grassroots organization of about 460 members. "The (council members) know in their heart that it's not good for Arlington."

Group members say they are still waiting for the benefits predicted before the Rangers' $191 million baseball stadium was built in 1994. The city's debt on that project has since been retired.

Before Arlington voters in 1991 overwhelmingly approved a half-cent sales tax to fund the new stadium, Deramus said, city leaders promised a transportation system linking Six Flags and the ballpark -- as well as a nearby amphitheater, shops and a river walk, "but it was all a big farce."

Arlington would pay no more than $325 million for the football stadium. If approved by voters, the funding would come from a one-half percentage-point sales tax increase, a 2-percentage-point increase in hotel-occupancy taxes and a 5-percentage-point increase in car-rental taxes.

The Cowboys would play home games for 30 years in Arlington; pay $2 million in rent annually at the new stadium, with two 10-year lease extensions allowed; and give the city 5 percent of any naming-rights deal.

Arlington officials said revenue from user fees, including a 10 percent ticket tax and a $3 parking tax, would go to the team.

The city could add $238 million a year to its economy and gain an estimated $7 billion in benefits over the next 30 years, according to a study commissioned by Arlington officials.

The Cowboys have been looking for a new home to replace Texas Stadium in Irving, where the team has played since 1971. Last month, Arlington officials announced they had been negotiating with the Cowboys for a stadium after the team's talks with the city and county of Dallas apparently fell apart.

While negotiations were under way in Dallas, the plan's funding mechanism was criticized by the Hotel Association of Greater Dallas and some residents and business owners who formed a group called No Jones Tax.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Needless to say that this field should be in central Dallas, or even central Fort Worth. I'm also gonna go out on a limb and say that the stadium will have an absolute SEA of parking. So much for the whole "Jerry's World" idea.

Rantanamo, you're right about the comparisons to Houston's Super Bowl in the area of nightlife and so forth. Add to the fact that Houston will likely have hosted 2 Super Bowls before Dallas gets one (Houston looks to be a contender for 2009) and will just add fuel to the fire. What will Super Bowlers do in Arlington? Go to Six Flags? Oh, that's right, it's closed in the winter. How far is the area from the TRE?

I have two problems with this proposal. Stadiums need to be downtown not in the suburbs. NFL doesn't need to be asking tax payers for support on a new $650,000,000.00 stadium. Other than that, its going to be good for the Cowboys.

The Arizona Cardinals recently moved from Diablo Stadium in Tempe, but not to Phoenix nearby, but to a new stadium in the Phoenix suburb of Glendale. If only the Diamondbacks shared their Bank One Stadium downtown with the Cardinals, they'll also be in the same city limits where the Suns play several blocks down the road. It would be nice if both the Giants and/or Mets built a stadium in New York for either separate team instead of sharing the Meadowlands out in Jersey. Move the Patriots to Boston instead of driving south on I-95 every time.

Enough of that, though. If Arlington wants the Cowboys in their town, they definitely need to make improvements when it comes to nightlife, transportation and places to go. Arlington is not just another suburb anymore, it is well over 340,000 people. The need more nightlife and sports bars for fans to go watch the games if they can't afford the stadium seats. They need some place to go, because Six Flags over Texas is closed in the wintertime. Arlington might as well try again to get transportation in the city limits - it was voted down two years ago. If they keep voting it down, that means Dallas' DART or Fort Worth's The T may not be allowed to drive game day shuttle buses out to the new stadium, and Trinity Railway does not have Sunday service (the nearest station is about six miles north). This could make I-30 even more congested.

I just hate that the city of Dallas wouldn't let the Cowboys move into the city that bears their namesake. It is probably not fair that the Mavericks and the Stars get to make their home at Reunion Arena in the city limits. Fair Park would have been in use for more than just the Cotton Bowl and the State Fair.

Also, I'm kind of glad they are starting to improve the look of the Trinity River, cause it's been deserted for years. You can't even fish out there because the mercury at times in the water is so bad.

As far as being in Dallas rather than the burbs, the Cowbos wanted Dallas. Dallas did not want the Cowboys--at least as not as much as Arlington (which has 1/4 of the population of the city of Dallas and is closing in on 1/3).

That is simply not true. Get your stories straight before speaking.

I just hate that the city of Dallas wouldn't let the Cowboys move into the city that bears their namesake. It is probably not fair that the Mavericks and the Stars get to make their home at Reunion Arena in the city limits. Fair Park would have been in use for more than just the Cotton Bowl and the State Fair.

Again, this is not true.

Thhe City of Dallas wanted the Cowboys and Dallas County wanted the Cowboys.

The Cowboys chose elsewhere. Period.

That is simply not true. Get your stories straight before speaking.

What's not true about it? I said Dallas didn't want them--at least not as much as Arlington did. Arlington is putting its money where its mouth it. Wise? That's debatable, but they are and Dallas isn't.

Point being--the Cowboys are staying in the DALLAS-Ft. Worth Metroplex. "Cowboys" doesn't sell as much as "Dallas Cowboys". Calm down, Dallasite. I could see if they were going to Austin or San Antonio, but they aren't. More money was to be made from frilly stuff like the museum and shops and hotels than from some parking lot in Arlington.

Ummmm, no. Dallas did want them, even offering up Fair Park. This all came down to, can you get me on the November ballot so the NFL gives me the '11 Superbowl. Dallas wanted the Cowboys, but was not willing to pay $425 million for it.

Dallas asked for the same deal that Arlington ended up with, but the Cowboys walked when Dallas asked, because the issue went pass the November deadline. It has nothing to do with who wanted the stadium more. Dallas was trying to pony up big bucks, and is still willing to if the Arlington vote doesn't pass. Arlington did not want them more, and they are paying much less for them than Dallas was going to. Just a matter of politics.

I think the NFL actually does contribute monies to new stadiums.

That is why I said it's not ALL NFL. Do you understand what I said?

• 2 weeks later...

Ummmm, no. Dallas did want them, even offering up Fair Park. This all came down to, can you get me on the November ballot so the NFL gives me the '11 Superbowl. Dallas wanted the Cowboys, but was not willing to pay $425 million for it.

Dallas asked for the same deal that Arlington ended up with, but the Cowboys walked when Dallas asked, because the issue went pass the November deadline. It has nothing to do with who wanted the stadium more. Dallas was trying to pony up big bucks, and is still willing to if the Arlington vote doesn't pass. Arlington did not want them more, and they are paying much less for them than Dallas was going to. Just a matter of politics.

Ahhh, I see now. That part doesn't make it out to the big presses. So at least Dallas tried. That's cool.

Wolfdawg54, I did misunderstand your prior statement.

Since I moved here from Charlotte, I understand how irritating it can be for outsiders to pretend like they understand situations with these sports teams. Charlotte went through a lot with George Shinn--stuff that the rest of the country may never understand or believe.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Are you familiar at all with Las Colinas?? It's literally less than 5 minutes from where the current stadium is, so why would this change a thing??

Yes, I work there.

Las Colinas is also small and doesn't have much to offer.  Arlington, although extremely boring to me, already has much more to offer.  At least during the summer there are 2 theme parks.  Las Colinas is just way too small to offer the NFL fans anything.

I would rather have the Dallas Cowboys stay at least on this side of 360 than in some suburb thats closer to Fort Worth. Irving is the population center of the Metroplex and it is in Dallas County. Arlington is closer to Fort Worth than Dallas.

If anything, it should be in Dallas city. But then, Jerry Jones is looking for someone who will whore out the most money on his bad deal. Dallas said no to his bad deal and rightfully so.

And as for changing the name to anything other than the Dallas Cowboys - we all know this will never happen. :)  The Dallas Cowboys name in itself is a legend - it would therefore be nothing without the "Dallas".  And besides, Jerry Jones would never let this happen. LOL

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If they move to Arlington I hope attendence will drop off. Then they can be Fort Worth/Arlington Cowboys. Metroplex Cowboys.

• 7 months later...

A site in Arlington has been selected for the Cowboys new stadium.

1714668-633278.jpg

Dallas Morning News: Arlington council picks stadium site

Fort Worth Star-Telegram: Boundaries nearly set for Cowboys stadium

The Dallas Cowboys stadium will affect about a dozen residential streets southwest of Ameriquest Field in Arlington.

Pinnacle Consulting is notifying residents in the roughly 50-acre neighborhood that their homes or apartments will be acquired. The city has separate buyout plans for homeowners and renters.

City officials said residents and property owners outside of the immediate footprint will be notified that they could be in a future buyout area

The buyout guidelines:

-Homeowners would be offered $22,500 in addition to fair market value to their homes.

-Renters would be offered a lump sum payment of $5,250 per dwelling.

-Businesses would be offered a lump sum of $10,000 on top of fair market value.

We've been discussing this site on another board. Horrendous. This is further away from the freeway than the ballpark as well as further from Six Flags. Its takes no advantage of being in Arlington's entertainment area. Its also an uneccesary location to tear down homes and businesses for. There are acres and acres of park and parking lots in this area where the stadium could have gone. The location makes it necessary to go through the ballpark to get back to freeways going east and north. Very very very strange site. They'd better work with the Rangers to never have a game on the same day. Ever. Such a location type would be fine in a much more urban area with bus and/or rail serving the stadium. This site is solely suburban and will rely on suburban arterials for its traffic carry.

We've been discussing this site on another board.  Horrendous.  This is further away from the freeway than the ballpark as well as further from Six Flags.  Its takes no advantage of being in Arlington's entertainment area.  Its also an uneccesary location to tear down homes and businesses for.  There are acres and acres of park and parking lots in this area where the stadium could have gone.  The location makes it necessary to go through the ballpark to get back to freeways going east and north.  Very very very strange site.  They'd better work with the Rangers to never have a game on the same day.  Ever.  Such a location type would be fine in a much more urban area with bus and/or rail serving the stadium.  This site is solely suburban and will rely on suburban arterials for its traffic carry.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. Bad location. Bad. This whole project, to me, is just the epitome of "blah."

(btw, rantanamo, I assume you're also rantanamo from the D/FW Metropolis board, yes? ^_^ )

Archived