Dallas Cowboys to get $650 MILLION stadium!

ElGobernador

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup that's me.

I wouldn't be surprised if an eminent domain precedent from another case puts this deal in trouble. The citizens should fight it if they feel the offers are unfair. It would buy them time. As much as I want DFW to have the world's greatest stadium, I don't think they are doing this the right way.

• 3 weeks later...

I would rather have the Dallas Cowboys stay at least on this side of 360 than in some suburb thats closer to Fort Worth.  Irving is the population center of the Metroplex and it is in Dallas County.  Arlington is closer to Fort Worth than Dallas.

If anything, it should be in Dallas city.  But then, Jerry Jones is looking for someone who will whore out the most money on his bad deal.  Dallas said no to his bad deal and rightfully so.

If they move to Arlington I hope attendence will drop off.  Then they can be Fort Worth/Arlington Cowboys.  Metroplex Cowboys.

I wish they'd been able to work out the deal to put in Fair Park. Laura Miller just wasn't going to put much of Dallas' money into it and from the financial end of being mayor, she's probably right in that the city of Dallas won't recoup their investment. Still, it was a nice opportunity to clean up a blighted area with terrific potential.

I also don't blame Jones, he's a businessman. He'd rather spend his own money on free agents than a new stadium and why should he use his own money if someone is willing to build it for him?

I hope attendance drops off as well, it's hard enough to find tickets for a decent price. I'll drive my butt to Arlington, I may not like it was much but I'll do it.

• 1 month later...

Preliminary plans for the new Cowboys Stadium have been have been filed with the city of Arlington. Right now, the plans call for 414 luxury suites spread throughout the stadium with 20 at the field level. Also, there are 16 bunker suites under the stands that can be used for parties before and after the games.

Among the other ideas in the Cowboys stadium blueprints:

There's still the possibility the state doesn't allow them to buyout all the homeowners and businesses. The stupid ruling that allowed private companies to use Eminent Domain has really helped Jerry. Otherwise, homeowners were holding out big time and it would have taken a long time if never to acquire land. The state can still put a stop to it if they like.

• 2 weeks later...

Fort Worth Star-Telegram: Land costs surge for Cowboys stadium

Acquiring the land in the path of the planned Dallas Cowboys stadium may cost the city $70 million to $100 million -- about double the original estimate -- according to Mayor Robert Cluck.

Cluck hinted at the rising cost during his state of the city address Thursday. The mayor and other city officials provided details later.

Higher-than-anticipated appraisals, negotiations with property owners, settlements from lawsuits and the need for more land are the key factors driving up the cost, officials said.

The city of Arligton is responsible for acquiring the land for the stadium, but they have a $325M cap for total spending on the project. So far, the city has closed on 48 of the 131 properties they were seeking to aquire.

• 1 month later...

The Trinity Railway Express may serve the new stadium in Arlington. A TRE station could be built near the Collins Street railroad bridge. Collins Road would then be restriped for bus only lanes allowing for express service to the new stadium 3 miles down the road. The station would also serve as a park-and-ride facility for Arlington commuters.

But Arlington's cost is an estimated $3.75 million, and federal money would only cover about half the tab. Arlington would have to figure out a way to pony up the rest of the money, even though voters have repeatedly rejected a transit sales tax.

Fort Worth Star-Telegram: TRE could serve new stadium

The city of Arlington and the county have reached an agreement were the cost of demolision of buildings and streets will come from the $25M the county pledged for the project. Demolition on some houses and streets could begin in several weeks. The official groundbreaking for the Cowboys Stadium will be next spring.

Fort Worth Star-Telegram: City ready to clear stadium's path

• 3 weeks later...

The city of Arlington has completed the sale of $297.9 million of bonds to pay for it's share in building the new Cowboys Stadium.

The 30-year bonds will be paid back by a half-cent sales tax, a 2-cent hotel-occupancy tax and a 5-cent car-rental tax that became effective April 1. Voters approved the tax increases to help finance the city's share of construction costs.

Some of the bonds will be paid back with a yet-to-be-negotiated naming-rights agreement and with the Cowboys' $2 million annual rent payment, which is slated to begin in 2009. That year, the football team is scheduled to start playing its home games in the stadium, located between Randol Mill Road and Division Street, east of Collins Street.

Fort Worth Star-Telegram: City sells bonds to obtain cash for stadium project

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

An article about some possible design features of the new Cowboys Stadium.

Based on what's happening with other new NFL stadiums, fans here could see such features as:

Larger luxury suites and club seats.

Upgraded food services, even in nonluxury seating.

More team merchandise for sale.

A team hall of fame.

Bigger scoreboards.

A multiuse facility that can accommodate concerts and conventions, for example.

They did say that the sight lines will be much better than at Texas Stadium and that they are considering a grass field that can be rolled in and out like what will be at the Arizona Cardinals new stadium. The designs for the new Cowboys Stadium will be released in early 2006.

Fort Worth Star-Telegram: Stadium to offer a whole new ballgame

• 3 weeks later...

The city of Arlingtons' commercial tree ordinance requires businesses to replace trees within a buildings footprint. Trees 6-inch thick or more removed for parking will have to be replaced inch for inch and have a three inch tree for every parking spaces. The Cowboys are asking to place the trees in groupings rather than spreading them across the parking areas.

Other rules also may be relaxed for the stadium project.

Arlington requires that parking lots be made of asphalt or concrete. But the Cowboys have asked the city to allow it to use porous, honeycomb-looking stones that allow some grass to grow. Planning and Development Director Karen Brophy said the material can improve air and water quality. The grass would prevent a "heat island," which occurs when heat rises from an asphalt or concrete lot and can contribute to ozone problems during summer months.

Mayor Robert Cluck said a stone and grass parking surface also could prevent some water runoff, which can wash oil or other fluids from cars directly into gutters and into the local water system. He said the grass would act as a filtering agent, keeping chemicals from getting into the water table.

Fort Worth Star-Telegram: Cowboys may get flexibility in how they replace trees

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

This new home is a long time coming. Hell the deadskins have had a new stadium for years! <_< Many consider it the best in the NFL. The Boys should hold that distinction. Jerry needs to get off some of his billion dollar retirement money and make this stadium untouchable for years to come. As far as the season ahead I see us losing maybe two games. Though Parcels needs needs to keep a close eye on T.O. :ph34r:

Archived