Best and Worst Roads & Streets

Urbanrailfan

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I noticed that the worst drivers seem to drive on the best roads. Also, I agree the Georgia has the worst drivers, especially within Atlanta city limits!!

While I agree that Atlanta drivers are possibly some of the most aggressive in the world, it should be noted that a fair share of them (especially on the freeways) are not from Atlanta or Georgia.

I firmly believe that there should be a toll on all Atlanta freeways to get inside the perimeter. I believe that would cut down on a lot of this pass through traffic and make the CBD easier to deal with during rush hour.

BEST HIGHWAYS:

1) Tennessee

2) Florida

3) Georgia

4) Virginia

5) North Carolina

WORST HIGHWAYS:

1) California

2) Louisiana

3) Illinois

4) Missouri

5) Pennsylvania

Ive only been in TN twice so i could see it having a good statewide highway system but #1? Could someone tell me why?

Florida no doubt has great roads, i cant complain about that one bit! Now if it was at the latitude of Pennsylvania, FL wouldnt have great pavement quality!

Georgia like FL unless your in the Atlanta metro area, has great roads but i believe it ought to be above FL since it is on a bypass campaign statewide while FL does not believe in bypasses.

Virginia is king with bypasses while all primary highways are 4 lanes or greater. You have to take into consideration that many of its highways were built in the 70s and 80s that at times, the roadway was built along its natural course rather than level out its path (hills mainly).

North Carolina will continue to make itself further up on the list because it is on the path Virginia was two decades ago. NCDOT's plan is to eventually upgrade many of its four lane arterials and expressways into freeways. When that is all said and done, i believe NC should be then #1 in the nation for good roads. Dont forget, no other state can compare its secondary highway system since i have yet been in antoher state where i can do 65/70mph safely on a secondary road like it is 2nd nature.

--------

Worst highways:

California through Missouri, i dont know. Need explanation

PA does not suprise me, ive been mostly allover eastern PA east of I-81. One stretch of I-78 between Easton and Allentown was sooooooo rough, people are going to have axles broken and flat tires left and right if it does not improve anytime soon. Im suprised Arkansas did not make the list as PA and AR are neck to neck on dead last with worst roads. The thing i hate about PA roads are that its bypass & freeway system is incomplete like US 202 in Doylestown, US 30 through Amish country and US 219.

BEST DRIVERS:

1) Pennsylvania

2) Virginia

3) Tennessee

4) Ohio

5) Missouri

WORST DRIVERS:

1) Georgia

2) Alabama

3) North Carolina

4) California

5) Florida

I disagree with PA being #1 for best drivers. It sounds like a senior citizen that was orignally from NJ was doing this study :huh: While Philadelphia is pretty bad, the state as a whole is not bad. PA'ers know how to take their time and relax for the most part in the rural areas but...

Virginia should of been #1 if PA was #2, thats just my opinion. Most motorists are considerate, friendly and dont block the left lane unless they are turning about a half mile away. Northern Virginia can resemble its negative attributes like Philadelphia but thats about it.

Tennesee through Missouri, dont know why. I know TN was a very friendly state to visit though

Now the worst drivers:

How does NJ not make the list?????????

I dont know if Georgia is the worst in teh country, i think basing this on Atlanta is not a fair assessment. I drove through most parts of GA and it was quite pleasantful going up and down the state. Many passing zones (3 lane hwy) are provided if not the four lane divided status.

Alabama, i dont know how their drivers are bad but they dont have the greatest roads in the world.

Ok, i have beef with the person who said NC is #3 on the list. WHYYYY????? I hardly ever lose my temper driving in NC because most are legit drivers. I cannot think why NC is so bad except i did read Norff Carolina's comments and while that can hold true, i dont think thats a major reason it penalizes the state that badly! NC drivers are not the best with merging onto a highway, ill admit to that but on teh flip side, most move over to the left lane to someone get through. Id like some explanations why this got a poor ranking!!!!

California, dont know

Florida gets a better ranking than NC, thats just wonderful! I could say at least North Florida is pretty legit but the rest of the state is horrendous and being given a #5 spot is a treat for FL drivers because they deserve a ranking worse than this.

I would agree that Atlanta has some of the worst drivers you will find. Outside the metro area though, other than being fast, the majority of drivers are not too bad. Northern New England had very good drivers and I hear the Pacific Northwest has good drivers as well.

Archived