Hispanic population in SC grossly underestimated.

The_sandlapper

Interesting article I found.

According to a study conducted by the University of South Carolina, the states Hispanic population has been grossly undercounted by the U.S. Census. As many as 400,000 people may not have been counted in the 2000 Census.

Posted on Sat, Jun. 05, 2004

USC is researching Hispanic population

By KRISTY EPPLEY RUPON

Staff Writer

Margarita Pelayo came to Columbia from Mexico 10 years ago, hoping to find a good job and give her children a better life.

About 75 percent of the estimated 500,000 Hispanics living in South Carolina today are from Mexico, according to University of South Carolina researchers.

And many, including Pelayo, are from the state of Veracruz on Mexico

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Amazing. My ex-girlfriend used to do humanitarian work with the Hispanic community, mostly migrant workers living just outside of the Columbia area. There are so many people there undocumented. And many of their employers (mostly rural farmers) would love to keep it that way. As long as they remain undocumented they can pay them as little as they want and keep them living in squalor. Thankfully, many churches in the area have been reaching out to these people and are making sure their basic needs are being met and helping them get integrated into society.

The Mexican diaspora is amazing they are migrating everywhere i've noticed many new migrants here too but surprisingly I know more Colombian & Peruvian migrants than Mexicans so i guess they are also giving them a run for their money here :P hehe Anyhow, i think the Mexican population is probably as large or larger than the Puerto Rican population in Hawaii now a group that has been the largest Hispanic/Latino population in the state for over a 100 yrs.

The increase in the Mexican population is quite astonishing... but its understandable too. Mexican food is great. We have a mexican restaurant in Spartanburg that features a "costal blend" of food. It includes alot of fish meats with its standard dishes. The Veracruz thing is quite accurate.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived