World Population close to 10 Billion by 2050

monsoon

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to build a resort city in the upper atmosphere of Saturn and live there. I have the whole thing mapped out, it's awesome! You can get all the fuel and water you'd ever need from the atmosphere, and just imagine the views!! Those rings and 31 moons :)

Now I just need to figure out the whole interstellar space travel infrastructure thing... Hmmm

I think it could go either way.

Higher population doesn't have to mean more suffering and more waste. Hopefully we can figure out stuff like renewable energy, non-polluting transportation, preserved natural areas and recycling of resources.

or

well, if the last 4 years is any indication...

I believe that mother earth has its was of balancing things out. If the population growth continues to be extreme without any active human intervention to reduce pollution, energy consumption, or agricultural modifications, then we will see the earth responding. The earth has a limit and if humans continue to push it to the breaking point without considering the consequences, it(earth) will respond.

what are the stats for energy consumption and pollution levels for these countries current and projected? anyone know?

The world has gained about 4 billion people in the last 50 years, yet we are still more clean and healthy than 50 years ago... Some may argue that global warming etc... makes us dirtier but it really doesnt... Some may say we have more AIDs/HIV+ people and thus we are in poorer health when really, 50 years ago, we couldn't really tell who had HIV or who had such and such disease...

Gaining 4 billion more people in 50 years isn't really that bad, it's just the same as from 1950-2000.

Living here in the world's richest country, it is easy to forget that 2 billion of today's population does not get enough to eat and hundreds of thousands die from starvation every year.

You silly lefty....

In George Bushs America its all about MY PIECE OF THE PIE! The Protestant god told me to let lose terrorists starve!

The Protestant god told me to let lose terrorists starve!

I am offended by that remark... I know it was a joke but don't say something like that if you don't know anything about God... (and BTW, our God is the same as the Catholic's God and the Jew's God, so really you can't say "protestant's god" because ours is the same as the Catholic's and the Jew's.)

I misspoke, I meant the god of Muhammad, who the muslims call Allah. The Jews call him Yahweh, the christians call him God, or the Holy Father. It's all the same being, the god of Abraham. Muslims even accept Jesus as a biblical prophet.

Y'all are more alike than you are different.

This really isn't a city discussion though....

Actually the Muslims believe there is one God and that you can call Him by God, the Lord, Allah, Yahweh .. because to the Muslims, God encompasses all. Also, Muslims historically have been the most tolerant of other religions until the Catholics and the Inquisition forced them out of Spain into North Africa and other parts of the world. Americans have a huge misconception of what the majority of Muslims believe and how peaceful and good they really are.

Allah is the same as God, and Yahweh, Jehova, whatever name you want. Muslims believe strongly that Christians and Jews are people of the book or dhimmi. The Qur'an says that these people are protected (In that they believe in the same God). However, Muslims do believe that their way of doing things is superior. Overall they are a peacful group of people. They aren't all terrorists, but they have negative views of the West, and conquering forces in general.

China's population controls are effective in cities, but not in the countryside, so this is likely where most of the growth will occur. The vast majority of China is rural, and most people live along or within 100 miles of the coast. As China becomes more and more capitalist, they will have to allow more and more growth to occur.

At some point they will bave to make recycling more madatory, and require companies to make pagaging that minimizes or elimitates waste, and that cna easily be recycled. They have these containers now that are like those Glad containers- but they are made of vegetables, and are 100% biodegradable. More and more things like that are sure to come along.

Even beyond recycling, utilizing recycled materials, more work needs to be done to educate citizens on how to compost. Throwing away food and other biodegradeable elements although should decompose -- will not in the heaping landfills.

Archived