Detroit Photos

Allan

LMichigan posted these over at SSP. They're among the best pics of Detroit I've ever seen, so I figured I'd post them over here.

711131399_img-or.jpg

Michigan Central Station. This is likely to be renovated as the new headquarters for the Detroit police department.

711262613_img-or.jpg

Downtown from Lafayette Park

711262634_img-or.jpg

71untitled3-or.jpg

City Lights

71dr.jpg

Skyline from the lagoons of Belle Isle

71untitled2-or.jpg

Looking down Woodward Ave

71untitled8-or.jpg

Looking down Gratiot Ave

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

monsoon - the building on the left is the Renisance Center. It is Michigan's tallest building (and probably will be for some time). I actually like the skyline view from that angle better than the angle from the riverfront. Here's another photo from behind downtown - although the Ren Cen isn't visible in this view. This was taken from Brush Park, where many of the city's historic homes are currently being restored.

detroit.JPG

I love those street photos, especially when gridded!

Me too, although Detroit doesn't really have a rectangular grid pattern, at least not downtown. It actually has an interesting story behind it. The city was planned to be a network of radial streets connected by circles, similar to the street grids of Paris & Washington, DC. But the surveying tools they used in Detroit were inaccurate, and they ran out of money, so only half of the first circle was created. The 1807 plan from after the fire looked like this:

old_map_1807_plan.jpg

Unfortuantely it was never fully realized. People always talk about realigning the streets to match with this plan, and then finishing the circle, but I doubt it will ever happen.

Detriot is one of those cities I'd love to see some street scapes from.

I'm hoping to go down to Detroit to get some city photos soon...and before it gets cold. The only thing is that I don't have much time for that - I need a full day (actually more like a week) - it took a whole day to photograph downtown Flint, and I'm not even close to being done taking all the pics I wanted to there. Detroit is much larger, so It'll take even longer. And this being college app time, there isn't much time to run around taking pics of cities. In addition to Detroit & Flint, I want to do photo threads on Lansing, Port Huron, Grand Rapids, & Traverse City.

For streetscapes, the best place to go would be Tony Detroit's website. There are hundreds of pics of Detroit there, and he is constantly adding more pics. Few people know Detroit better than he does.

Tony Detroit's Website

Thanks for the really great pictures of Detroit. I have never ben there, and know very little about it. With the bad press Detroit gets, it's hard to believe that it has such a nice looking downtown. I hope it can rise again, it has a wonderful history and some great buildings.

Archived