Roll Call for Upstate/Midlands!

emerging.me

Hey gang,

I thought it might be cool if all us Upstate/Midlands people posted where we live. It's all about community, baby!

OK... I live in the Irmo-Chapin area, but I want (badly) to move to downtown Columbia when the right opportunity opens up (and I think it will soon with all the growth).

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just outside Arden, NC in Henerson County on the Henderson-Buncombe county line near the airport, just one county north of Greenville County, SC. A lot of our radio and tv stations are from Greenville-Spartanburg and I can pick up 97.5 FM from Columbia at my house like a local station. I think of Greenville as part of the area where I live. When I'm not in Arden, I'm in Athens, GA for school (UGA-Athens).

Actually as far as I know Aiken has always been a part of the Midlands.

Seems logical enough geographically, and we do get most Columbia TV/Radio stations, but Augusta is by far the more dominant media/job market. I think the most definative location for us is the CSRA, but I'll be happy to be accepted in the Midlands :D

Seems logical enough geographically, and we do get most Columbia TV/Radio stations, but Augusta is by far the more dominant media/job market. I think the most definative location for us is the CSRA, but I'll be happy to be accepted in the Midlands :D

It's just when growing up in Columbia I always been told, Aiken has always been considered apart of the Midlands. Area Code 803 right?

Yes. Here is a map of SC's TV Markets

scmapcoverage.gif

I trust that all of you are knowledgeable enough about the area to identify each region's major city/ies.

Here is a map of SC's regions: Upstate, Midlands, Low Country, Pee Dee:

scmapregions.gif

Some of the counties might be debateable. For example, Lee, Chester, Lancaster, Horry, etc. (Horry is technically Low Country since it is on the coast, but more a part of the Pee Dee economically.

It's just when growing up in Columbia I always been told, Aiken has always been considered apart of the Midlands. Area Code 803 right?

Thanks for the maps Spartan. That clears things up.

Yeah, our area code is 803. The interesting thing is, that in about half of Aiken county, dialing Augusta (706) is not only a local call, but its also just 7-digit dialing (no area code). It just kinda boggles my mind to make a call from North Augusta to Augusta (or vice versa) and use 7-digit dialing to different area codes.

Anyways, since its such a large county, some of its metro affiliation is surely obscured. Where I'm from, in the northern part of the county, its only about a 35 minute drive to Augusta or Columbia. It's actually pretty surprising to see how close the built up metros are, and if these were both larger, more rapidly growing metros, (especially if I-20 had been built close to the cities) we'd be hearing talk of a codominant CSA. But, for now, at current growth rates/patterns, this is a long, long way off.

• 3 months later...

I'm a local yocal..born and raised here in Columbia.

Spartan, nice maps! What's the source of those? I'm a map guy..been writing software to map things for 25 years or more. I recently went to ETV for an interview and they had some great maps of the broadcast area on the wall. It's of use when trying to understand how many types of a population can receive a broadcast signal. I'm still amazed a reader here from NC can receive a signal from Cola town.

Haha, those maps are about as rudimentary as you can get. I found this graphic somewhere on the internet, and I used MS Paint to color the different counties.

scmap.gif

I used this map of the Media Market areas to base the colors. I made these before I became aware of ArcGIS :)

TVMarkets%20contiguous%20US%201.gif

That map was hard to find too. I was doing a project for my cartography class a couple years ago about cell phone market areas (they were in the news at the time b/c of the number portability thing), and for a while I assumed they were the same as these media market areas. I quickly realized that they are different. But in the process of scouring the internet for a CMA map, I found this.

I'm from Madison, WV (just south of Charleston, WV) and I moved to Columbia about 4 years ago.  I just bought my first house in October in Irmo.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welcome to the forum JW2!

I went to school the first two times around at Marshall, and my girlfriend is from Pt. Pleasant, WV you know home of the "MothMan!"

Archived