Roll Call for Upstate/Midlands!

emerging.me

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kevin..how extensive is the route? If you know the routes it's easy to do the state maps.

When I left USC I had like 13 weeks of paid vaction. So I took 50 days and road out to Montana on to Washington and then a long tour through the South. I believe it was 26 states..very cool trip. I did it by car and camped about 75 percent of the time. I'd wanted to do it by motorcycle..but was talked out of it. My friends were right..on a bike you'd spend a lot of time driving away from bad weather.

I recommend once in your life everyone go take a long trip through the west. It's amazing how big and diverse America is. If you don't have the time get on a plane to get there quick..then rent a car and ramble around.

Some responses, thoughts, etc.

Looking at the DMA map from a couple posts up.. i cant believe a NC county (appears to be Clay County?) is under the Atlanta DMA! ? Didnt even know that

I am from Pinehurst, Moore County, NC.. 40 miles from the NC/SC line along US 1.. we're also teh northern extent of the Sandhills region which yall are more accustomed to it being in Chesterfield and Kershaw counties.

Marion County i remember watching WCIV 4 in Charleston has Marion County under their viewing area dopplar radar. Live 5 and WCBD 2 do not recognize Marion County from what i remember. Horry County from all Charleston stations are recognized but theres a fight from Wilmington and Florence they have to contend with. I know for Pawleys Island cable, they have Florence, Wilmington and Charleston local stations

Chesterfield County is a swing county it seems; its officially Charlotte market but has VERY close ties to Florence/Myrtle Beach and Columbia market.. sounds JUST like Moore County, NC where im from!

This was my trip in 1993. I was gone 50 days. Right before leaving I read Blue Highways and had watched Rudy Mancke visit Glacier National Park. That inspired me to take a long nationwide trip and go camping in Montana. I was in Utah when my mom got very sick. Everyone would not tell me her condition so I decided it was time to quit playing and come home. By the time I hit Louisiana she was out of bed. While reading a USA Today around Baton Rouge I discovered the space shuttle was going to launch in four days so instead of coming home I went down to the Everglades to kill time. I figured it was unlikely I'd ever have a chance to see that again. Awesome seeing that go up. The east coast part of the trip was me visiting relatives in Jacksonville, Charlotte and Fayetteville.

I had intended to spend a lot of time in southern Utah around Arches and Zion national parks. But they had 14 inches of snow when I arrived so I kept going south. My one regret.

DrumCorpsAlum if you have your route digitized I can make your map for you. I need to know map projection parameters. Something that helped me was using the national highway transportation plan as a background ayer for tracing my journey. It's very extensive if you know where you've been. It's about 50 meg compressed in shapefile format. Or you can acquire it state by state if that is too big.

• 2 weeks later...

Researchman- its too bad that you didnt get into the western part of Wyoming, it is beautiful- the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone are amazing. During the week of March 26- April 2nd ( also the week of Easter ) my father and I are planning a trip to fly from GSP to San Diego then renting a car and driving up the west coast to Seattle and flying back from there.

Oh by the way i'm from Easley.

In fact I got out there and kept running into snow in higher eleveations. After two weeks in Montana I started to drive southwest out of Missoula into the bitteroots. I had planned to drive all along the continental divide but it began snowing..I kept going until I realized I was the only person on the road..so I turned around and went back north thru Coeur d'Alene. I remember driving into Sheridan Wyoming and the last hour before sunset I believe I saw 10,000 deer in dozens of huge herds. It was awesome to see 200 deer grazing beside the interstate.

Gravey888 enjoy your trip. The desert NE of San Diego is beautiful..but don't rent a big car. I upsized to a bigger vehicle to carry around my buddies in SD. Going up and down the mountains it began to overheat. Big Sur is supposed to be great, Yosemite real crowded but maybe not this time of year. Oregon Coast, Columbia river, Olympic Penn is all very beautiful. You are doing it the right way too...get out there fast and use the time you have to drive.

Everyone at some point in their life should spend a few weeks driving around the west. It's amazing how big and beautiful this country is. But you never appreciate it until you drive around it. Maybe I should migrate over to ruralplanet.org.

I realized I never really responded to this thread so I thought I would take a moment to do so.

I live in Greer, SC a Suberb of Greenville, SC and I work in Downtown Greer aka Greer Station. For 8 months before I moved back to Greer I lived in Charleston, SC 5 months in the St. Andrews Area of West Ashley and 3 months a bit farther West of the Ashley. Before that I lived 2 years in Central, SC while going to Clemson. Central is so called becuase it is the central point on a old rail line from Atlanta to Charlotte. And two Years before that I lived on the Clemson campus in Clemson, SC and for 15+ years before that I lived in Greer, SC in the house I live in now. And I lived all over the US before that but to young to remember it. So Upstate is what I know.

I'm a Greenville native and current resident. The love I have for this area of the country is unmatchable, though not arrogant. There is a charm in the atmosphere of our downtown that is so contagious that everyone who has visited and mingled among the ambient flow of pedestrian chatter and footsteps has been left with a desire to remain or at least to return. Greenville, SC has become such a prominent role model among the national and international downtown associations, that cities around the world have begun implementing (copying) the very kinds of developments which have made our city so great. Come to the source... :D

• 2 weeks later...

Archived