Southbank

TheUrbanCore

From the T-U. I think it is great that Jenkins is doing this. As we have discussed, there is a definite need.

Newsmaker

City Councilwoman Suzanne Jenkins, whose district made headlines last week with the proposed $500 million San Marco Riverwalk on the Southbank, wants area landowners to agree on how the Southbank will continue to be developed.

Jenkins proposes a Saturday charette that would allow property and business owners, planners and others interested in the area to share ideas, which would be incorporated into a document, "and we move forward from there."

Jenkins said she met with Downtown Vision Inc., JaxPride and the Jacksonville Museum of Science and History about the charette. "You get all of the landowners and businesses in that area to sit in one room and say, what do you want the Southbank to look like?" she said. "It would be an action plan for the businesses so that everyone can agree."

To reach Jenkins, call her council office at 630-1394.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really hope they tie this in with the rest of San Ma......I mean the Southbank, lol. And I'm a little concerned that 3 towers will be the same height. I hope they don't look exactly similar, giving them a "ghetto projects" look. I'm anxious to see some renderings!

What abou the Trump towers in Miami. There are repeats but don't have the ghetto look. If they look something like that, it would be pretty neat in my opinion.

southbank.jpg

This is pretty bad quality wise, but here's a scanned image of the project's preliminary site plan. The angled street, on the left, follows the path of the skyway. The existing hotel sits where Towers 6 & 4 are planned, and the rest of the site is surface parking. So far, I think this is a very good and urban oriented site layout for the Southbank.

(from right to left, here's a detailed list of the projects towers)

Tower 1 (bottom right): 35 stories/375 residential units

Tower 2 (top left): 28 stories/275 residential units

Tower 3 (2nd from the right): 35 stories/325 residential units

Tower 4 (center- E of circle): 35 stories/325 residential units

Tower 5 (bottom left): 9 stories/200 room hotel

Tower 6 (center - left): 300 residential units

Not that this has anything to do with the southbank, but i thought i remember hearign they were going to renovate or spruce up the csx building. if i heard wrong do you kno if there is any chance of them painting it or doing something to better its exterior appearance. its ugly.

^They currently replacing the old facade on the CSX building as we speak. They are about halfway done with the riverfront side. You should check it out. The new black & beige glass panels look great, compared to the old blue tile panels.

They do look good! They are a welcome relief from the old blue tiles. I have seen the improvements while I have been on the practice field.

From today's T-U:

Chart House owners don't plan to move

Despite a Miami-developer's plans to build a residential-retail tower on its Southbank site, owners of the Chart House Restaurant said they have no plans to relocate.

Howard Cole, chief operating officer with the Landry's Group, said the restaurant, at 1501 River Place Blvd., has a lease with options until 2032. "As long as we don't break our lease, there's no way legally we have to move," he said. "There's just no other plan."

San Marco Riverwalk developer Stevan Pardo said he has been in verbal and written communication with a representative of that company, but Cole said the contact was superficial and came after Pardo's public announcement. "There is no negotiation with [stevan Pardo] or anybody," Cole said.

Pardo said the restaurant's first option-to-renew date is Dec. 31, 2006. "I don't know if anyone can predict if the Chart House will be in full compliance with the lease at the time of its option," Pardo said.

The restaurant just finished $1 million on renovations last month, Cole said.

Pardo said that his plans could work around the existing Chart House structure.

Archived