South Station Tower

Guest donaltopablo

Guest donaltopablo

This purposed building looks awesome. I don't recall seeing this when I was there, anyone know if they still plan to build it?

southstationtower.jpg

The South Station development will consist of the completion of the South Station Transportation Center at the lower levels of the project plus the addition of a 40-story, 1.1 million-square-foot office tower, a 500-room hotel, a nine-story 430,000-square-foot office/research building, and parking for approximately 1,050 cars.

Important considerations in the master plan were the preservation of the historic South Station Head House building; the linkage of the existing train station and bus terminal; and the ability to facilitate future pedestrian access to the waterfront. Hines is currently taking the project through the local and state environmental permitting process.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Last I heard (6 mos. ago?), the SST was still making progress through all of the reviews with the city, state, FAA, railroad administration, etc. It sounded like it will be around 700ft. The design of the building and the size of the spire (if any) are unknown.

The Boton papers had some articles on the SST project a few months ago (can't find them). There were questions with disrupting Amtrak and commuter rail, which seem to be getting resolved. The height of the building never seemed to be a big issue except to the FAA, since the building is in the Financial District and there aren't too many immediate residential neighbors.

As I recall, one article said the building would be something like 40 stories and and 695ft, so it would probably have a spire. Another story said there would be major changes to the spire and the building would be around 700 ft, maybe no spire?

BTW the rendering makes the building look more or less round. It actually is kind of wing shaped with this being the leading edge (fat end) of the wing.

It seems like this project will get built because the city, environmentalists, NMIMBYs, etc. all seem to like it. Due to the economy and Big Dig, it won't be built for a few years, and may be quite different from the rendering.

• 1 year later...

Archived