South Station Tower

Guest donaltopablo

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The South Station development consists of the completion of the South Station Transportation Center at the lower levels of the project plus the addition of a 47-story, 1.2 million square-foot office tower, a 500-room hotel, a nine-story 430,000 square-foot office/research and development building, and parking for approximately 1,400 cars.

According to a December 2000 story in the Boston Herald, the Federal Aviation Administration has serious concerns over the proposed height due to its proximity to Logan Airport. Likely the tower will be scaled down to meet their requirements or possibly not be built at all. Talks are still in progress.

post-4432-1119459098_thumb.jpg

post-4432-1119459098_thumb.jpg

This is an old proposal and isn't making any real headway right now. There are FAA concerns over it's height (the airport is just across the harbour). Boston's office market is in a slump right now as well, most new development in the city is residential right now. This isn't happenning until the office market turns around again.

It really surprises me that Boston's skyscrapers aren't a little taller. The city has the 7th largest metro in the nation (2003 estimate) and every metro in the top ten save for Baltimore/Washington has buildings taller than the John Hancock. I'd love to see South Station or maybe one ever higher. Heck, even Philly is putting one up thats gonna be close to 1,000 feet high.

• 8 months later...

Just heard that as of a few days ago South Station Tower is back and ready to go... :yahoo:

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/stories/...27/daily27.html

40 story office

13 story hotel & residential

9 story office

$40 million in transportation improvements to South Station train & bus terminals

Cesar Pelli & Associates Inc. is the design architect

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This isn't South Station news, but its close (1 block away). There is a new Whole Foods being pitched for a small surface lot at the corner of Essex St. and South St. between the Financial District and Leather District. It would supposedly be topped with uber-priced condos for that part of town (~$800 psf).

It's good to get another grocery store downtown, but I just wish it was a little more mainstream.

Actually, I think that would be the only grocery store Downtown. The Shaw's at Prudential isn't Downtown, that's Back Bay, so this is good news, even if Whole Foods isn't mainstream, the residents Downtown aren't exactly mainstream either.

Yeah....I guess it would be...I was including the Whole Foods at Beacon Hill on Cambridge St as the other.

Yeah, that's not Downtown either, though a lot of Downtown people shop there. There was quite a bit of resistance to that becoming a Whole Foods, it was a Stop & Shop and a lot of older fixed income people were upset about the change.

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more information about the Whole Foods downtown.

It will be part of a 15-story residentail tower to be called "The Leighton". It will be built at the site of the propsed 2 Financial Center, which is now obviously dead.

Still no hard date on construction, but likely by the end of the year.

Archived