City Comforts

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I enjoyed it. And it's really cool because it's little stuff that any city can do -- no matter where they are on the spectrum of urban renewal. And the little touches that the author suggests don't require any sweeping zoning legislation or grandiose plans. Nothing wrong with zoning (in most cases) and drawing up big plans, but not every community can do it. The suggestions here are really for everybody.

Sure, click the sample chapter link above if you want a really good idea of what it's all about. That's my favorite chapter actually because it deals with the social aspect of cities and simple steps that leaders can take to build a greater sense of community. Some examples that are elaborated on and represented visually are:

Provide seats

Offer a conversation piece

Encourage the chance encounter

Build neighborhoods for the social stroll

Provide a place for music

Use sound to permit conversation

Allow strangers to sit together

Quench the thirst for community

Use movable chairs

Let readers sip

These are just a few of my favorite examples, but it should give you an idea of the author's approach to making the city comfortable.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

As long as there is a coffee shop somewhere...... :D

Seriously, it is unfortunate to see so many aspects of (at least) American society stearing us in an anti-social direction. Something as simple as an ATM, convenient as they are, have affected a simple social interaction. I really think we do need some social contact to keep our sanity!!

There is a dog park a block from our house that has really allowed me and my wife to become more social with our community, though something like this might not be possible in many urban settings.

• 2 weeks later...

As long as there is a coffee shop somewhere...... :D

Seriously, it is unfortunate to see so many aspects of (at least) American society stearing us in an anti-social direction. Something as simple as an ATM, convenient as they are, have affected a simple social interaction. I really think we do need some social contact to keep our sanity!!

There is a dog park a block from our house that has really allowed me and my wife to become more social with our community, though something like this might not be possible in many urban settings.

In Latin America, there have always been the Plazas, constructed just like the Spanish did. They were usually comformed by the town or city's church and administrative buildings, restaurants and important people's houses. Now, unforunatelly, these meeting centers have been replaced by malls. However, there is still a lot more places to meet than the average american big city.

In Quito, however, the high criminality rates threaten this comfort. :angry:

:ph34r:

Interesting point Ruso. It reminds of what some of the public squares may have been like in early America. It seems like so many of the plazas and squares here, at least in bigger cities, are often designed around shopping like you suggest, or maybe it was the shopping that took over the square!!

Interesting point Ruso. It reminds of what some of the public squares may have been like in early America. It seems like so many of the plazas and squares here, at least in bigger cities, are often designed around shopping like you suggest, or maybe it was the shopping that took over the square!!

It is shame, now everything depends on shopping malls. However, I think that is how it has always worked, except for the plazas and squares with churches and administrative buildings.

:ph34r:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived