Township Auditorium Renovation

emerging.me

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That does sound cool, and so appropriate. Don't corporations usually buy naming rights in their hometowns, i.e., where their headquarters are located? There may be exceptions, especially in a venue with national exposure for a brand or company. It's not likely Bose would want to name the Township, but I would love it if I'm wrong!

That is true, but Bose does have one of their largest plants in Columbia, which is where they make their famous "Wave" radio. I'm going to have to get one of those.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I know this is a little off topic, but wouldn't it be awesome if people started moving back into the neighborhood behind the Township, buying the houses back from the attorneys that turned them into offices?

I was thinking about that the other day. All though I'd rather have offices in them than nothing, I think it could be a quaint neighborhood and this probably will happen in the near future. Possibly with this Township Renovation providing as a jumpstart as you said earlier. They also should probably build a parking garage or something in the back and hopefully bury some of those power lines! Perhaps that stretch of Henderson could become more dense by building apartments with retail on the first floor?

Ahhhh wishful thinking.... :whistling:

EDIT: of course still keeping the houses that maintain the character of the neighborhood. and sorry that was pretty much me rambling/thinking outloud.

^ The whole key is to have more people living in-town. With 60,000 jobs downtown, wouldn't it be nice if half of those people lived downtown? 30,000 workers plus 35,000 college students (USC, Allen, Benedict, Columbia College and the Lutheran Seminary) in town would make for a pretty solid population base for the downtown area.

I think that as downtown fills out and we get some larger companies, the Old Northeast neighborhood will probably see some more attention from residential landuses. The homes there are quite attractive, and the neighborhood is in pretty good condition.

• 9 months later...

Looks like they're ready to get moving on this. The site plan review case summary was submitted to the Planning Commission and is on the latest agenda (April 6th):

The Township Auditorium project consists of a new lobby addition with new restrooms, elevator and box office, new loading

dock with back of house crossover aisle, a back of house elevator, and staging area. Renovations include offices, new dressing

rooms, new green room, lighting fixtures, new stage floor, new rigging, and restrooms. Site work includes reworking the

loading dock as well as a new-elevated plaza area to increase safety from on-coming vehicular traffic while creating a more

dynamic and inviting entrance.

The 1920

Oh, sorry. I remember seeing your post now, but at the time I guess I didn't have time to click the link. At any rate it's a sharp rendering and the new Township should be a gem that adds tremendously to the built environment in that corridor.

• 1 month later...

Wltx.com is reporting that they will unveil the multi-million dollar renovations between 6:30-8pm at the Township. I assume that means tonight. Has anyone heard of this elsewhere?

From article - "Officials say the renovation will cover:

• A new expanded atrium lobby
  • Upgraded box office in the new glass tower addition
  • New elevator and stairwells to the first and second balconies
  • New Taylor & Henderson St plaza
  • New concession areas and restrooms
  • State-of-the-art sound and lighting
  • More easily accessible loading and storage areas
  • Upgraded dressing rooms and management offices
  • New roof and heating and air systems"

Article

Archived