Where does the west/south begin?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although that may be considered the south and west, I believe we're getting at what has the feel of it. For instance, southern Florida doesn't really have much of a traditional "South" feel to it.

The only place in Southern Florida that doesn't have a tradition southern feel to it is Miami, because of its cultural diversity. Everything south and west of Miami feel like any place else in Florida. However, like Central Florida, its still a part of the South, despite what the orange map claims.

Everything south and west of Miami feel like any place else in Florida. However, like Central Florida, its still a part of the South, despite what the orange map claims.

Naples, Fort Meyers/Cape Coral, that area doesn't feel southern. Neither does Key West, and those all lie west or south of Miami.

Have you been to Naples/Ft. Myers?

Naples is home to the one and only swamp buggy races. It doesn't get more southern than that. The area is generally higher income retirees and very suburban in nature, but it's just as southern as any other well to do suburb of Atlanta or North Carolina.

Pehaps the homegenization of american culture is higher in places like Naples, Orlando and Tampa, but these places still have a distinct souther tint to them.

I always forget how southern Florida really is. Then I leave Miami and it hits you in the face.

Naples, Fort Meyers/Cape Coral, that area doesn't feel southern. Neither does Key West, and those all lie west or south of Miami.

The first question I'd ask you is what characteristics do you associate with being southern? Do you consider a city with a unique feel to it like New Orleans southern?

What's the difference between Naples or Hilton Head, SC, other than Naples being larger?

Anyway, several South Florida cities like Homestead, Florida City, Immokalee, Clewiston, Belle Glade, etc. feel just as southern as any city in the southern region of the US.

Its still southern though. I still don't understand what makes a place "southern". It seems like many think that any place that embraces several cultures, is unique or dense, etc. isn't "southern". Seriously, everytime these type of threads come up, it seems like its a bad thing or disrespectful to be labeled southern?

Even the orange map is corny. Just take Jacksonville, for example. While the rural western areas of the city are "dixiefied", the beaches like Ponte Vedra or Amelia Island, don't resemble that at all. Plus, the inner city has developed and feels more like a Midewestern city than many well known southern cities. So, what do you call a place that doesn't fit the southern stereotype, yet is located in the heart of the south, like Jax or even present day Charleston, SC?

I've spent a lot of time in Detroit, Buffalo and DC over the years and other then built environments (which I associate with age, instead of region) they didn't feel that much different from being in Florida. In fact, inner city Jax feels like a smaller version of Detroit, architectural and cultural wise.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived