Downcity Business Improvement District Created

Cotuit

I saw two members of the DID using their huge power washer this morning on my walk to work and they were cleaning up graffiti!!! It was on Westminster right next to Grace Chruch and Hotel Providence. Never used a power washer before but it was amazing how fast the paint came off- just a few passes of the stream and the paint was nothing but a memory. Great to see but I still wish we could adopt the same policy that NYC has for their subways (all graffiti is removed within 24 hours thus discouraging people from doing it in the first place)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Speaking of the Grace Church and Hotel Providence, I drove by yesterday afternoon and I couldn't believe all the homeless people hanging out there. This is why they wanted to move travelers aid out of downtown, but they seem to have found their way back.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im not sure what services they provide but they has always been a "bad" spot and still are. Hotel providence moved out the fence so people cannot sit on the outter edege around the wall which did help alot. It kind of one of the hot spots thats still in use but many other of these hangout spots are since gone.

Speaking of the Grace Church and Hotel Providence, I drove by yesterday afternoon and I couldn't believe all the homeless people hanging out there. This is why they wanted to move travelers aid out of downtown, but they seem to have found their way back.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's largely because of Grace Church and Mathewson Methodist which offer meals and in cold weather shelter.

I saw two members of the DID using their huge power washer this morning on my walk to work and they were cleaning up graffiti!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I saw a couple yellow-jackets riding their bikes through Waterplace last week, and one pointed to a tag and said "I wish I could catch that f*cker!" Don't worry, they are on this problem.

They have also painted over the many diffrent boxes and such that control traffic lights etc. Each now has a nice new coat of black paint. DID has/had been doing a great job.

I saw a couple yellow-jackets riding their bikes through Waterplace last week, and one pointed to a tag and said "I wish I could catch that f*cker!" Don't worry, they are on this problem.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

EXCEPT their designation of Waterplace Park as where the condos are going...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True, there should be green stripes along the river, and they could have squeezed Station Park in there.

They also have the Hoilday Inn on the wrong side of Atwells, at the circular gas station site.

And has everyone heard about Monday Market?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nope, but I love the idea. too bad it's during the week tho. People who work to till 5 (in say East Providence) will get there just in time to get the stuff that's been all picked over all ready.

I really wish it were for a couple of hours on a Saturday or Sunday. :huh:

Nope, but I love the idea.  too bad it's during the week tho.  People who work to till 5 (in say East Providence) will get there just in time to get the stuff that's been all picked over all ready.

I really wish it were for a couple of hours on a Saturday or Sunday.    :huh:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was thinking it was odd to have it during the week too, but I think they really want to capitalize on the office workers in town during the week. Let's face it, the city is still pretty sleepy on the weekends.

It would be cool to set up the market on WaterFire nights though...

I was thinking it was odd to have it during the week too, but I think they really want to capitalize on the office workers in town during the week. Let's face it, the city is still pretty sleepy on the weekends.

It would be cool to set up the market on WaterFire nights though...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It would be awesome it this really took off. It would also be great for all the new Condo residences!

Imagine an open air european style produce and flower market in the middle of downcity! Very cool!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Providence Phoenix article on the DID

The article questions the heavy weight of developers on the DID board and Burt Crenca from AS220 is pushing for kiosks for posting flyers. The DID says they are working on it. The article also mentions a move for a Thayer Street Improvement District to be established.

I just watched a DID member spend 30 minutes on a ladder trying to scrap a sticker of the back of a parking sign. Dilligent, but efficient?

Absolutely. It's that kind of attention to aesthetics and detail that can make an area feel very clean and cared for... I'm all for it!

- Garris

I just watched a DID member spend 30 minutes on a ladder trying to scrap a sticker of the back of a parking sign. Dilligent, but efficient?

What does your boss think about you spending 30 minutes watching a yellow jacket? Efficient? :lol:

I hear what Garris is saying, but yeah, 30 minutes on a sticker sounds a like a little much.

What does your boss think about you spending 30 minutes watching a yellow jacket? Efficient? :lol:

I hear what Garris is saying, but yeah, 30 minutes on a sticker sounds a like a little much.

Blowtorch and/or "green" solvent - 45 second job.

Are these volunteers or workers doing this stuff? If they are city workers they should have more available to them than a putty knife to scrape with.

• 4 months later...

Archived