IN PROGRESS: The Residences at The Westin

Here's a link to a Google Satellite Image of the intersection for reference. I've been staring at it for the past 15 minutes (don't feel like working today :whistling: ).

Another thought including an underpass:

Both ramps from 95 land next to each other. There is really no need for any of the 95 traffic to make any turns at this intersection, there's alternate ramps to get 95 traffic to the mall, and using the Atwells ramps are an alternate (in some cases better) route to the Dunk and the Convention Centre).

Take those two ramps from 95 N&S, merge them into one lane, and send them under the Franics Street intersection, coming above ground before the pedestrian underpass between Union Station Plaza and WaterPlace. This would be pushed up close to the Westin and could be more of a tunnel structure than an underpass.

The two lanes coming in from Route 6 would arrive at the intersection as a left turn lane, and a through-traffic/right turn lane. East of the intersection Memorial Blvd. only needs to be one lane, the underpass lane will merge with it to become two lanes again.

This leaves the crossing on the skybridge side as 5 lanes, down from the current 8. There's currently three from Memorial Blvd. towards the highways, we could conceivably bring this down to 4, by reducing the outbound traffic lanes from 3 to 2. There should also continue to be enough room for an island between the lanes.

On the GTECH side of Memorial there would be 4 lanes to cross, one Eastbound and 3 westbound, one being a left turn lane.

• Replies 958
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think a quick and easy short-term solution would be to simply install railings along the sidewalks where we don't want people crossing forcing them to cross in the appropriate fashion or look like an idiot hopping over the rail. NYC has plenty of these, particularly along 5th Avenue around Rock Center and Saks. The railings are actually done in a decent artistic fashion too so they don't take away from the streetscape whatsoever. Simply put up these railings along the north and south sides of Memorial Blvd near the mall and Westin, and force people to cross Francis, then Memorial, and then back over to Francis. It

here is another one of my stupid thoughts :) With the westin being a somewhat high priced hotel.. and the arcade/retail/restaurant space to be devoted to the ground level of the new addition, does anyone think Apple may like that retail space?? although it is 2 yrs away :P

I dont want to jinx anything, BUT, has it crossed anyones mind that stores like Apple and Sony may not be successful in the mall?? Just a thought. I've never been into an Apple or Sony store so I dont know what they carry for merchandise , but I imagine High-end products that are veryyyy expensive. Can that last in Pplace?

I dont want to jinx anything, BUT, has it crossed anyones mind that stores like Apple and Sony may not be successful in the mall?? Just a thought. I've never been into an Apple or Sony store so I dont know what they carry for merchandise , but I imagine High-end products that are veryyyy expensive. Can that last in Pplace?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think if folks are gonna be spending $500,000+ for a high rise condo in dt Prov, they probably are gonna want a nice TV and Computer too. Hopefully Sony and Apple can hang in there while the buildings are going up!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would fear more for the Sony store far more than the Apple store. By their own standards, Sony is in somewhat of a crisis as a company right now and they are lacking focus product-wise. They also have a Sony outlet store competing with themselves 20 minutes away in the Wrentham Outlets. Then again, there's not really any decent electronics store in the whole Providence Place Mall.

I think the Apple Store will do quite well if it's in a good location. There are a billion college students here in town and, if you consider Apple more of a Blue State icon than a Red State icon, where will they fare better than RI?

- Garris

does anyone own or have experience with sony's Vaio laptop?? It look hot!!! but im not one to spend tons of money

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Kinda off topic, but the Vaios are supposed to be excellent but, as with most Sony stuff (and part of their problem), they are poor values for the money. You're paying a premium for the Sony name vs HP, Gateway, Dell, etc...

- Garris

Thats a reason why I feel sad they are in the mall becasue a more unique location ( even G-Tech ) could have had the same draw but done more for downcity. Appple downtown would have really had others looking at downcity. We must thank Design Within Reach for taking a larger risk than even apple has done.

Like I said before the mall does not seem to have a good vacant spot for an apple store unless you guys can think of one?

I think the Apple Store will do quite well if it's in a good location.  There are a billion college students here in town and, if you consider Apple more of a Blue State icon than a Red State icon, where will they fare better than RI?

- Garris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd like to see Apple in the mall now, rather than have them wait two years to see what will shake out on Westminster. The reality right now is that the mall is still the best spot for them. There will be plenty of retail on Westminster and at the new Westin Tower and in GTECH soon enough.

One huge spot that is behind temp walls is across from Bed Bath & Beyond and leading into the sky bridge entrance...

[snip]

...Great Render of the westin i love the retail on the corner.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought of that too. That might be a good spot. It'll certainly get great traffic from the bridge, but it still strikes me as feeling a bit lonely there...

The Westin render is indeed nice... That'll be a great place to take some urban-style photos when all is said and done...

- Garris

Does anyone else think the foot bridge from the mall to the Westin is a horrible idea? It is there currently, and really kills foot traffic.. It keeps people contained within the limits of mall and Westin..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I cant say i love the bridge, and it wasnt going to part of the deal when the city approved the the design. I really hope there isnt any new foot bridges. The fogarty building is one that quickly come's to mind. I know (im sorry i forgot his name, morrola or something like that) the ugly design included a foot bridge to the convention center, the argument w/ that is the one you bring up, the foot traffic.

I really hope there isnt any new foot bridges. The fogarty building is one that quickly come's to mind. I know (im sorry i forgot his name, morrola or something like that) the  ugly design included a foot bridge to the convention center, the argument w/ that is the one you bring up, the foot traffic.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Any new hotel on that site meant to interface with the convention center will almost certainly have a foot bridge. This is near mandatory in the 21st century to attract convention business. Like it or not, it's reality, and every venue in the nation will bow to it. As Cotuit has pointed out in the past, this has been a problem NYC has had in getting conventions... The lack of contiguous convention space...

- Garris

Archived