IN PROGRESS: The Residences at The Westin

Well here's more folks.  It shouldn't be hard to tell that I stole this from the journal, here's the rest....

http://www.projo.com/business/content/proj...3x.1d7ba46.html

I believe we will probably be seeing more shots in the near future but this is a start.

westintowers2.bmp

I also like that parcel 2 and 9 are included in the picture, it seems as if they did us a favor.  Perhaps future renderings will show more?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great news!!! Things were getting a little slow around here. :rolleyes::D

• Replies 958
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It shouldn't be hard to tell that I stole this from the journal, here's the rest

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wish the journal would post better photos. :angry:

I've been looking around the Jung Brannen Associates Inc. website, but frankly, it sucks! For example, they have Ten Park Row as "In Progress." :unsure:

That totally irks me concerning Ten Park Row. It should be filed in Works Never to be Built. And there parcel 4 sits, so lonely  :(  So close to Citizen's Bank  Needing a developers love and vision    B)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is "Ten Park Row" completely in the graveyard?

Well here's more folks.  It shouldn't be hard to tell that I stole this from the journal, here's the rest....

http://www.projo.com/business/content/proj...3x.1d7ba46.html

I believe we will probably be seeing more shots in the near future but this is a start.

westintowers2.bmp

I also like that parcel 2 and 9 are included in the picture, it seems as if they did us a favor.  Perhaps future renderings will show more?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Looks great! It's going to be a nice addition to the Providence skyline.

That totally irks me concerning Ten Park Row. It should be filed in Works Never to be Built. And there parcel 4 sits, so lonely  :(  So close to Citizen's Bank  Needing a developers love and vision    B)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There's still a rumour floating around out there of Citizens building a new "campus" in the city. Nothing concrete about that has been announced yet.

Is "Ten Park Row" completely in the graveyard?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe so. I don't think it was actually in Capital Centre, but rather on the parking lots between North Main and Canal near Park Row.

There's still a rumour floating around out there of Citizens building a new "campus" in the city. Nothing concrete about that has been announced yet.

I believe so. I don't think it was actually in Capital Centre, but rather on the parking lots between North Main and Canal near Park Row.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, Ten Park Row was parcel 4 in capital city center. Beacon Companies of Boston backed out of the project after getting to the final stages.

While I like that the new Westin tower has been moved further away from the existing hotel building in the latest plans, I prefer the other design that had been posted on this site with a spire topped tower. It made more of a statement and looked less like a pseudo replica of the original hotel. One aspect I would love to have changed (which seems unlikely given its use in the Westin gym) is that dome on the Westin's office section. It just doesn't fit with the rest of the structure, especially in lieu of the new tower design.

Any word on how much of the new tower will be office as originally proposed? I didn't see much mention of any office use in today's Projo article?

I prefer the other design that had been posted on this site with a spire topped tower.  It made more of a statement and looked less like a pseudo replica of the original hotel.  One aspect I would love to have changed (which seems unlikely given its use in the Westin gym) is that dome on the Westin's office section.  It just doesn't fit with the rest of the structure, especially in lieu of the new tower design. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

While I agree on the spire (the gabled look isn't as distinctive, but is probably cheaper), I like the dome a lot. It looks great from various vantage points in the city and fantastic when it's lit up at night.

- Garris

I picked up a ProJo, I will try to scan & post it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Excellent, thanks!

They've been doing something in the middle of Francis Street for the past few days right next to the Westin Park.

Anyone know if that has anything to do with anything?

Thanks for posting these. I have a paid account with photobucket, if you want to email me the full size ones, I can try to post them.

I'd really like to get the top one for the projects thread if you have a larger version of it.

ProJo editorial calling for a crosswalk to be added to Memorial Blvd. from the mall to the Westin 2nd Tower.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's nice that the ProJo is pretty urban savy for a mainstream newspaper. That said, they are part of the problem too. Their surface lots, their ugly parking structure, their depressing modern fronting. Has anyone heard of any movement by the ProJo on any of these things?

- Garris

It's nice that the ProJo is pretty urban savy for a mainstream newspaper.  That said, they are part of the problem too.  Their surface lots, their ugly parking structure, their depressing modern fronting.  Has anyone heard of any movement by the ProJo on any of these things?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ProJo's editorials always seem to come down on the good side of urbanism. But I agree about their properties Downcity. It seems that Duany's proposals for Fountain Street and Emmet Square are moving forward, but his proposal called for the demolition of the one story parking garage on the square, and I haven't heard anything about ProJo letting that go. I've also heard nothing about their surface lot between Fountain and Washington.

Excellent, thanks!

They've been doing something in the middle of Francis Street for the past few days right next to the Westin Park.

Anyone know if that has anything to do with anything?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Channel 10 news reported tonight that the new tower was reviewed by the Capital Center Commission today. With only minor design alterations to consider, it's looking good!! :thumbsup: Looks like we'll be getting a hotel/condo tower that pretty much looks like the rendering we've all come to know. (and I love)

Also, Channel 10 commented on the fact that the builder is on a "fast tract", due to the contractual obligation of the new owner to have the new tower completed by mid 2007. It's seems unlikely that they will do any major redesign - yay!

Once The Procaccianti Group closes on the property (should be any day now) ... things should move pretty quickly!

I'm sure that Projo will have more details in the morning paper. B)

I'm sure that Projo will have more details in the morning paper.  B)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yup

The Design Review Committee had 3 main issues. The trees on site, need to be moved NOW if they are to have a chance to survive. Procaccianti is having trouble finding a company that is willing and able to move them.

The bricks are supposed to be put up in pre-fab panels. The Committee is worried about seeing seems between the panels.

The intersection of Memorial & Francis will see more pedestrians due to the retail at the base of the new tower. There is currently no crosswalk on that side of Memorial (closest to the highway). Procaccianti & the Design Review Committee are supposed to meet with the Dept. of Transportation on this.

Groundbreaking is due for "this summer" and they are contractually obligated to be open and be in business in July '07.

There's 5 lanes coming from the highways into that intersection, and that is really too many. It should work fine with 3 (1 from 95 north [far right lane] and one each from 95 south and 6 east). The far right lane can remain seperate (as it is now with 2 lanes) for through and right turn traffic only (no left turn, it doesn't need to turn left, because there is another ramp swinging that traffic around behind the mall). The remaining two lanes can make all turns on it's own light.

Reduce the total lanes from 5 to 3, push the three lanes over to the right, and create an island between inbound and outbound. This will allow for a safety area for pedestrians crossing. It may also be necessary to have pedestrians cross in two sections depending on the timing needed for the lights.

A more expensive alternative is to allow some traffic to dive under Francis, by-passing the light, much the way Huntington and Commonwealth Aves. do at Mass. Ave. in Boston. A lane each from 6 East and 95 South could dive under the intersection, and 2 lanes from each could meet the light to allow for turns.

Archived