IN PROGRESS: The Residences at The Westin

Any new hotel on that site meant to interface with the convention center will almost certainly have a foot bridge.  This is near mandatory in the 21st century to attract convention business.  Like it or not, it's reality, and every venue in the nation will bow to it.  As Cotuit has pointed out in the past, this has been a problem NYC has had in getting conventions...  The lack of contiguous convention space...

- Garris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its kinda funny,

I used the foot bridge tonight, I was going to the Providence Bruins (who won!!!) and I parked in the mall, went from the mall through the westin, right outside to the arean, it was actually easier then walking outside the buildings...

Mij

• Replies 958
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ProJo article

The Procaccianti Group closed the deal on the Westin yesterday. Work to move the trees on site will begin tomorrow and take about 7 days. They are going to the lawn in front of the Department of Administration building on Capitol Hill.

The Procaccianti Group is planning to add hotel rooms in a shorter brick addition attached to the existing Westin, which will then connect to a 30-story tower. The tower will feature first-floor retail shops and restaurants, hotel rooms and a parking garage for the condominium owners.

The condos will be on the top floors of the tower and will feature European-style balconies and terraces. The condominiums will be pricey, some selling for more than $1 million each. And The Procaccianti Group's architect has designed an arched entranceway to the condos that mimics the entrance to the Westin.

The design review committee was concerned that the entrance to the condos, which will be in the existing Westin courtyard, will look too much like the hotel entrance and be confusing.

Construction is scheduled to begin "this summer."

Westin2Tower.jpg

Journal photo / Mary Murphy

Duncan Pendlebury, president of architects Jung Brannen Associates, yesterday discusses the fa

Providence Business News story

The Journal story says the new tower will be 30-stories, the PBN article says it is 28. The current tower is 28-stories so I think that is where the PBN article is confused. Looking at the photo of the model from the Journal article, I would guess it is 30-stories, plus the 2 levels of parking.

Providence Business News story

The Journal story says the new tower will be 30-stories, the PBN article says it is 28. The current tower is 28-stories so I think that is where the PBN article is confused. Looking at the photo of the model from the Journal article, I would guess it is 30-stories, plus the 2 levels of parking.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Does any one know if the One Ten site is going higher? I remember reading that the design review committee suggested that they go higher then the 30 stories...

Does any one know if the One Ten site is going higher? I remember reading that the design review committee suggested that they go higher then the 30 stories...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That was such a weird request, I still can't quite believe that a design committee in a New England city would ask that a building be taller. If anything, I would have thought the developer would have proposed a taller building than they really wanted assuming that it would be trimmed in committee.

I guess with the design committee's blessing, if the developer thinks they can afford to build taller, and thinks they can sell the extra units that will create, then they'll go for it. But I haven't heard any word that they are.

That was such a weird request, I still can't quite believe that a design committee in a New England city would ask that a building be taller. If anything, I would have thought the developer would have proposed a taller building than they really wanted assuming that it would be trimmed in committee.

I guess with the design committee's blessing, if the developer thinks they can afford to build taller, and thinks they can sell the extra units that will create, then they'll go for it. But I haven't heard any word that they are.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You hit that right on the head, "weird" but, I know i would love to see three or four more 300- 400 ft building in this area. Unfortunitly that would be in place of some of the older historic building, but as mentioned in the completeing and connecting providence booklet, some of these building have no historical value except age... well see

Oh I think there is plenty of room for more towers Downcity without tearing something else down. There is the parking lot on Weybosset behind the Dunkin Donuts. There's a street running through it, but the lots could be merged. There's also space behind the Arcade Garage along Memorial Blvd. that should be hot property as it is right across from the Riverwalk and would have excellent views of the East Side and the Upper Bay. Then there's all the land under 195, though I would expect most of that to be zoned for low-rise.

Oh I think there is plenty of room for more towers Downcity without tearing something else down. There is the parking lot on Weybosset behind the Dunkin Donuts. There's a street running through it, but the lots could be merged. There's also space behind the Arcade Garage along Memorial Blvd. that should be hot property as it is right across from the Riverwalk and would have excellent views of the East Side and the Upper Bay. Then there's all the land under 195, though I would expect most of that to be zoned for low-rise.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Really, i was thinking of the boston sky rise for that 195 area, may a contiuation of the $$$ district.

So is Procaccianti moving its HQ to the tower or not?  Doesn't look like it now...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There's no mention of offices in the tower in the latest ProJo article. They may be building offices just for themselves, or they may move themselves into someplace in the "Power Block" later on.

The trees are almost all moved. A little birdie at the Westin told me construction is starting next week. That conflicts with the July date reported in ProJo. They only have until July 2007 to get the new tower completed and opened, so I assume they will begin work as soon as possible. The last ProJo article said that the Design review Committee had a few small issues to work out, so I don't know how much weight I would put in the next week construction rumour.

The trees are almost all moved. A little birdie at the Westin told me construction is starting next week. That conflicts with the July date reported in ProJo. They only have until July 2007 to get the new tower completed and opened, so I assume they will begin work as soon as possible. The last ProJo article said that the Design review Committee had a few small issues to work out, so I don't know how much weight I would put in the next week construction rumour.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WOW!!!!!! NEXT WEEK!!!!! Talk about fast track. I can't imagine this being true.

Ugh, those pictures perfectly highlight the need for the Providence Journal to get their act together and do something about that stupid wasteful executive garage. I think the green garage and 70's addition should be replaced by a 4-6 story "media tower" which could be leased by the ProJo and any interested news stations for their Providence/downtown offices. On the facade could be a large screen (a la Times Sq. or Piccadilly Circus) which showed local news broadcasts and advertisements. This "square" is developing into one of downtown's hubs, it'd be great to make it a center of public attention.

I think the green garage and 70's addition should be replaced by a 4-6 story "media tower" which could be leased by the ProJo and any interested news stations for their Providence/downtown offices.  On the facade could be a large screen (a la Times Sq. or Piccadilly Circus) which showed local news broadcasts and advertisements.  This "square" is developing into one of downtown's hubs, it'd be great to make it a center of public attention.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That would be hella cool. I think at least one of the television stations whould have a Downcity studio (I think 12 would pull it off the best). The ground level could have a Today Show style window into the news room, it need not be quuite as cheesy as Today though. There could also be a cyber cafe with news kiosks and whatnot. The outside of the building would have news tickers and video monitors and such.

If ProJo was involved in it as well, there could be kiosks to search the Journal archives, a mini ProJo musuem, and a Providence gift shop.

William Morgan doesn't like the new Westin tower

He doesn't seem to like any tower.

At least I agree with this part of his piece:

That we show little understanding of the value of contemporary architecture says much about how we care about our surroundings; we cannot forever rest on the laurels of good design of centuries gone by.

William Morgan doesn't like the new Westin tower

He doesn't seem to like any tower.

At least I agree with this part of his piece:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ugh... I couldn't disagree with this guy more... I guess all those canyon creating skyscrapers suck the vital, dynamic, urban street life out of such places as NYC, Vancouver, Chicago, and Phily, huh?? Especially when compared with our "lively" Wickenden St (only on Sat and Sun mornings... Otherwise, it's never hard to find parking or dodge pedestrians on Wickenden).

Reading things like make me wonder if we are all living in the same city. I think the Westin, despite some slightly cartoonish elements, is one of the most beautiful buildings in the city. I find it fascinating that I've been complemented most, of all my photos, on the one of the mall and the Westin together in the same shot. I think that's because of the inherent drama and harmony in the design of those two buildings. Interesting detailing, human scaling, and some nice materials make them more interesting than 95% of many of the new (and most of even the old) buildings in Providence.

- Garris

I love the frequent characterization of the mall as "suburban." I agree the mall is not ideal for an urban environment, but it is one of the best urban malls I've seen (I believe that Norfolk, VA has a mall rather similar to ours downtown). The streetside restaurants, the many entrances on Francis Street, the views from the Winter Garden compelling you to go out and explore the city... much better than places like Copley Mall or Cambridgeside Galleria or the Manhattan Mall in Herald Square.

I love the frequent characterization of the mall as "suburban." I agree the mall is not ideal for an urban environment, but it is one of the best urban malls I've seen (I believe that Norfolk, VA has a mall rather similar to ours downtown). The streetside restaurants, the many entrances on Francis Street, the views from the Winter Garden compelling you to go out and explore the city... much better than places like Copley Mall or Cambridgeside Galleria or the Manhattan Mall in Herald Square.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly. Although three sides of the mall are pretty blank and inaccessible to thepedestrian, the Francis Street mall side has become a vibrant urban space that allows the mall to be almost a main street. The only thing that hinders its ability now is the poor crossings across Francis Street, cause that light at the street from the train station is timed horribly and is not pedestrian oriented at all.

Morgan makes some valid points...I'll give him that. However, IMHO he is taking out all his frustrations on one building and that is quite sad. If such a strong opinion is made against ONE building, then he should have the common curtesy to suggest an alternative. The fact of the matter is that he cant and that is the bottom line. Mr. Morgan please do tell me what you mean by "exceptional design" and how can you apply it to the position of the new tower. I have a feeling that if his "exception design" were to be applied, then it would destroy the synergy between the mall, the current westin and union station.

Archived