Baltimore Pics

Spartan

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We go down to Baltimore every few weekends or so. The inner harbor is great...Baltimore also has some very interesting neighborhoods, it would be great to see some pics of those if anybody has them..

What I've always found interesting about the Balitimore metropolitan area is it seems small, for being such a major city. While there is certainly suburban development....there doesn't seem to be much sprawl, especially on the north side of the city.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

i love baltimore, it is one of the cities i recently visited over winter break and it was magnificent. i had visited it before but i wasnt as appreciative of cities back then partly because i was younger. anyway it is a great city that others should model after, it has really turned around from the 1980s. on my list of places id like to live.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Those are nice pics can't wait till Norfolk gets like that

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was just thinking about that. Every time i go to B'more it strikes me how Norfolks downtown and B'mores innerharbor are almost exact replicas of eachother. All Norfolk needs is a few more buildings and we'll be there.

• 3 weeks later...

Great pics. I love Baltimore's Inner Harbor. I hope Jacksonville develops around the St. Johns River in a similar way. BTW,one of my friends from B-more came down to Jax for the Super Bowl. He said nothing compares with the fresh crabcakes in this city. If so, I'd got to get up there and try them out.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Although I've only been there while I was on vacation visiting Washington D.C., I must admit, it is a pretty city. The Inner Harbo is nice.

Just out of curiousity, why doesn't Baltimore have some buildings that are as tall as the ones in other cities its size, like Boston or Charlotte? I don't think a city has to have tall buildings to look nice, just curious.

Baltimore does a several nice looking buildings already, though.

• 3 weeks later...

Just out of curiousity, why doesn't Baltimore have some buildings that are as tall as the ones in other cities its size, like Boston or Charlotte? I don't think a city has to have tall buildings to look nice, just curious.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here's my thoughts: Baltimore was a blue collar city. It was built around the port, the railroads, and a large amout of manufacturing. It's not the financial center that Charlotte or Boston is. Unlike Pittsburgh which went from manufacturing to finance, Baltimore never really made that jump. It's a largely residental city now.

The taller buildings that exist are banks, but they are banks headquartered elsewhere--Bank of America and Sun Trust, who bought local banks in the past decade. Also, there are no geographic restrictions on where the city sprawls, and much of the white collar jobs have spread north to the burbs of Towson, Cockeysville, Hunt Valley and southwest to Columbia.

baltimore is not geographically bound, but it is politcally bound within its boundaries, it cannot expand out like phoenix etc. yes the suburbs have spread outward into cockeysville, columbia, etc. however midtown baltimore has strict height restrictions (where the gotham looking building is) and they just havent really built many super tall buildings since the charles center projects of the 80s and 90s. there are a few very tall condo buildings going up towards canton and little italy tho.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived