550 mil for MA convention centers

Guest donaltopablo

Guest donaltopablo

Maybe the local New Englander can help me out, any renderings/site plans for the new convention centers? I didn't even realize Boston was getting a new one.

Bay State to sell $550M of notes for convention centers

Boston Business Journal

Massachusetts plans to sell $550 million of bond-anticipation notes to pay for construction of the state's new convention center in Boston and two smaller convention centers in other cities, the state Treasury Department announced Monday.

According to Bloomberg Business News, the state will take bids from investment banks Thursday for the notes, which mature Jan. 15, 2004, and aren't callable.

"The $550 million represents what we've already spent on the project or will be spent in the next month or two," said Jeffrey Stearns, the state's deputy treasurer for debt management, in a statement. "We're in the process of setting up a new credit for the long-term debt. These are going to be special obligation bonds repaid from a series of tourism related revenues."

The new Boston Convention and Exhibition Center is to open in about a year on a 60-acre site in South Boston. The facility will have about 520,000 square feet of exhibition space on one level, 160,000 square feet of meeting space and a 42,000-square-foot ballroom, according to a bond sales document.

About $66 million of bond proceeds will be used to buy and renovate the civic center in Springfield, while $19 million will be spent to reimburse the city of Worcester for improving the city's convention center.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is one pic of the curved roof of the convention center. The building is just monumentally huge and hard to photograph. I also included some other shots I took of the vicitnity from the roof of a nearby builidng probably about 180 feet up, and a half mile away.

june2003boston025.jpg

Fort point Channel, with old warehouses, lofts and attractions down the street a ways from the CC

june2003boston017.jpg

New bridge over Fort Point channel toward CC area from Financial District

june2003boston039.jpg

Lots of new building and street construction near the CC.

june2003boston027.jpg

Downtown and Backbay in the opposite direction from convention center

june2003boston018.jpg

Manual Life Building U/C diagonally across the street from the CC

june2003142.jpg

Archived