Flint Improvements

tropolis

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the forum! So are you from the Flint area? I am from Grand Blanc, about ten miles south of the city, but am now living down in Southfield.

I will try to keep updated on all the Flint projects/improvements, although I am a bit busy with school at the moment.

BTW, we are probably going to reorganize the michigan forum in the near future, since the current setup doesn't seem to be working all that well.

You might be able to help us set it up. I was thinking something like this:

Mid Michigan (Flint/Tri Cities)

Metro (Detroit)

Western Michigan (Grand Rapids, Muskegon, & Kalamazoo)

But what to do about Lansing? It's in the middle of the state, but I don't know enough about Lansing, and I don't think there is enough traffic to warrant a subforum devoted to Lansing. It doesn't belong in western michigan, and it's certainly not part of mid Michigan. I suppose we could always leave it out, and then add one later on.

i like the setup idea, and the atwood project is looking good. I went through DT flint about a week ago, they're really tearing up the face of the building.

Good, because it was quite ugly before! All I know about the renovation is that they thought the original (1928?) facade was underneath the 1950s "improvement", and it turns out that they had removed it, so now they have to recreate it from scratch.

Downtown Flint seems to be turning around, one small project at a time.

Actually Lansing area would work. I don't think we need to include the UP, since there doesn't seem to be much news about Urban Planning and architecture coming from up there.

What should we do with Ann Arbor? Right now we just tacked it on to the Detroit metro, since the official naming of the area is the "Flint-Ann Arbor-Detroit CSA". I'm leaning towards leaving it with Detroit, although I'm open to suggestions.

BTW, I like the avatar - its unique and eye catching, but not too crazy.

that would be cool, tall buildings all along the freeway until saginaw county. I think it is more fun to drive/ride on the freeway when there are tall buildings to look at, but in flint, the buildings are not close to the highways. When is this update going to happen?

that would be cool, tall buildings all along the freeway until saginaw county. I think it is more fun to drive/ride on the freeway when there are tall buildings to look at, but in flint, the buildings are not close to the highways. When is this update going to happen?

The thing is that the buildings wouldn't be tall - it would just be generic sprawl and lots more traffic than there currently is. In fact, the tallest building would probably be only 2 stories, three at the most. Here in Southfield we build our sprawl up though, mostly because we've run out of land. In fact, there are 30-40 floor skyscrapers right outside my apartment! :)

Wolverine helps me out with the Michigan section, but he's in L.A. this week, so the update probably won't happen until he gets back, unless he sends me an OK from L.A.

I am a member, but I only post about once a week or so. I don't really don't have time to be reading all kind of forums, so this is the only one I read daily. After all, the more of my free time I spend reading forums, the less time I have to go out and shoot photos of Detroit.

Actually, the last time I counted, there were over 25 members from Michigan over here...it's just that most of them are just lurkers and rarely post.

Do you happen to know what kind of improvements they are making to the facade of the Hughes and Hatcher Building? I read a story from a few weeks back in the FJ online today, and it said they were doing work on the facade, but it didn't give any details.

I'd just like for them to get started on the thing, lol. Everything takes so long in Flint. The only thing going at a good pace is the Carraige Town townhouse project. I still see them pushing dirt around every day at University Park Estates! They've been doing that since what? At least May?

I guess the windows for the Atwood Building are being hand-made in Antartica or something. It's been sitting with seemingly no activity since the new bricks were put up. But I won't complain about that building too much. It'll be fully occupied and given a new name imprinted into the building :)

sorry i havent been here in a while. I liek how you changed thwe michigan forum setup. Didn't want the lansing area, huh?

hey dnast, nice to see you in this forum. Thanx for putting my thread in the mid michigan area. dnast knows me as megatower at ssp.

After you made the mid-michigan section, a lot of flint topics suddenly popped up. I dont know when i will be on again...

Welcome back to UP!

We decided not to do the Lansing section at this time. We don't have any forumers who would represent Lansing. I don't know enough about the city to represent it myself, and I don't exactly have the time to represent the city anyways...college is keeping me very busy!

Archived