Flint Improvements

tropolis

I am from Grand Blanc-Off of Perry road almost into Atlas township.

Thursday-Saturday night Saginaw street does have a good amount of people around, but it is also extremely DARK in that area. I am not afraid for me, but I am afraid for the 15-18yr old teens that inhabit the area. My girlfriends sis and bro hang out down there with their friends and I can honestly say they lack good judgement. Grandblanc and surrounding areas, as you know are very different places than Flint. There also seems to be a bit of a racial devide amongst the citizens too. Community programs would greatly help flint! I think now would also be an ideal time to rethink the road layout in Flint too. Those five lights on Saginaw trap you there forever.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow....I am also from GB! Not often that you run into GB people on a forum like this. I live near in the intersection of Cook and Holly. I might end up renting an apartment somewhere down here in metro Detroit though - if I can round up some roommates that are better than the ones I have now. I really have no desire to move back in with my parents for the summer, LOL.

Thursday-Saturday night Saginaw street does have a good amount of people around, but it is also extremely DARK in that area. I am not afraid for me, but I am afraid for the 15-18yr old teens that inhabit the area. My girlfriends sis and bro hang out down there with their friends and I can honestly say they lack good judgement.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I doubt there's anything to worry about. It's not like it's just 5 kids standing outside downtown - there's usually at least 20 or 30 just outside of the Metropolis. The jail and police headquarters are only a couple of blocks away, and I usually see a DDA police car nearby on concert nights. Not saying they should stray too far from that block away from Saginaw St.

Anyway, welcome to the forum :D

And yes I agree that there should be more lights downtown. My guess is the city feels it's a waste of money to light the other streets since none of them have residential units or businesses that stay open past 5pm, save for Buckham Alley. I also agree that the next big thing downtown should be built on a street other than Saginaw. It defeats the purpose of having a downtown street grid when all the attractions are on the same street. No need to mimic Frankenmuth :wacko:

Allan:

I'm not sure whether or not Daystar bought the Durant building. I think he just made the announcement prematurely. I should've known better anyway, since he still hasn't started work on the much smaller Dryden building.

It would be awesome if that building is ever renovated with retail and lofts. It would liven up that whole area. The retail across the street on MLK Ave. would probably be renovated and I think a midrise could go on the end of that block. Across Saginaw, the Northbank parking garage would finally gets its retail space filled. I'd also hope for a parking garage behind the Durant with ground level retail to fill that block and allow some surface parking lots to be built upon.

Let me stop before people start thinking I'm crazy...

Archived