Detroit: August 27, 2004 (Part 1 of 2)

Allan

Since yesterday was Friday, and I didn't have loads of homework that had to be done right away, I went to Detroit after class. This thread will primarily cover New Center, but a couple shots of downtown will be mixed in.

New Center was envisoned as a second city center for Detroit. General Motors built their massive world headquarters here, as did the Fisher Body Company. GM has since left their buildings for the Renaissance Center downtown, but the beautiful buildings remain today. The area is approximately three miles up Woodward Avenue from downtown.

The Fisher Building. The building as it exists today is only a portion of the original plan. The original plan called for three towers: two short towers (like the one that exists today) and an 800 foot tall central tower. Unfortunately, the depression killed the rest of the plans, leaving us with just one-third of the original plan.

IMG_1519.jpg

IMG_1520.jpg

Cadillac Place was one the GM world headquarters. After GM moved downtown, the state of Michigan bought the building and refurbished it. It now houses several thousand state employees.

IMG_1521.jpg

The Argonaut Building was also used as GM offices, but it will soon be redeveloped into 250 condominums.

IMG_1522.jpg

The Fisher Building

IMG_1523.jpg

IMG_1524.jpg

IMG_1525.jpg

IMG_1528.jpg

IMG_1529.jpg

IMG_1530.jpg

IMG_1532.jpg

IMG_1541.jpg

IMG_1554.jpg

Inside, there are seveal mosaics similar to this one. Unfortunately, this is the only decent pic I got.

IMG_1556.jpg

IMG_1557.jpg

IMG_1558.jpg

IMG_1561.jpg

IMG_1562.jpg

IMG_1563.jpg

The ceiling

IMG_1565.jpg

Continue on to Part 2

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was pleasantly surprised by the New Center area myself. Until recently, I regulated myself to downtown. I had heard that New Center was a bit rough around the edges, but it didn't look that bad to me. Sure, there are areas that could use some improvement, but overall it was much better than I had anticipated.

Archived