NY: Day of protest

NYguy

The Republican convention kicks off this week, but protests around the city kicked off a few days ago. Today however, was planned as the largest (and a peaceful) protest.

I had originally planned to join in the festivities, but early chaos (stay away from Penn Station) and the driving heat changed plans. Anyway, for the most part, it was a peaceful protest, although I did see a couple of truckloads of confiscated bikes. There had to be at least a million people on the streets, but my experience with these large NYC events tells me it was probably more than that. The march was up the sidewalks, as well as through the streets. I'll just post a few photos of the procession up 7th Avenue, the pics speak for themselves...

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Protest makes headlines...

782-FRONT_BIG.jpg..front083004.gif

More photos from Newsday....

14032893.jpg

14030899.jpg

Aerial view of thousands of anti-war protesters marching by Madison Square Garden.

14032867.jpg

Demostrators outside Madison Square Garden.

14032268.jpg

Alleged anarchists run after starting a fire during a protest march near Madison Square Garden the venue for the Republican National Convention.

14032227.jpg

A giant dragon figure burns on Seventh Avenue near Madison Square Garden during the anti-Bush march organized by United for Peace and Justice.

14032267.jpg

14032271.jpg

Police try to control a scene after a group of alleged anarchists started a fire during a protest march near Madison Square Garden the venue for the Republican National Convention.

14032639.jpg

14032638.jpg

14032629.jpg

14031949.jpg

14031951.jpg

Demonstrators outside Madison Square Garden.

14031780.jpg

Police set up a line at corner of 34 St and 7th Ave, protestors had to turn off 7th and head south on 34 East on 34 Street. The police were there to make sure that they did make that turn.

14031910.jpg

A baby wears a shirt "Bush makes me cry" outside Madison Square Garden during the United for Peace and Justice march.

14031937.jpg

A demonstrator yells at a television reporter outside Madison Square Garden during the United for Peace and Justice march

14030818.jpg

Actress Rosie Perez addresses the crowd at the start of a protest march leading up to the Republican National Convention sponsored by the group United for Peace and Justice.

14030833.jpg

Director Michael Moore, left, is joined by the Rev. Jesse Jackson at the start of a protest march leading up to the Republican National Convention

Have you attended any rallies NYGuy? I must say I'm quite happy not to be in New York anymore right about now. This kind of stuff really bothers me. I remember a lot of protesting when the war in Iraq started, made me just want to get off Manhattan and hide.

My only convention related activity this year was the calm and peaceful Stonewall Democrats Convention here in Providence.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived