New 15 & 10 story Winston-Salem skyscrapers

Danny 4 Peace

/\ New $74 million 15 story Park Place condo tower proposed for Second Street.

There's also a new $67 million 10 story North Pavilion Tower about to break ground next month!

The news broke on the condo tower last year and the Pavilion Tower this spring. Its cool to finally have a rendering of Park Place now that its at its new location! Units are going for $280,000-$2million.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I looked up the project and the $74 million is for Park Place South. Park Place Tower is only $38 million. Park Place South will have an 8 story Hilton Garden Inn hotel overlooking the proposed Civic Plaza Park, a new 27101 post office and the Galleries at Park Place lining the strollway. I don't know the status of the hotel or galleries. I they are just proposed right now as part of the city park and will break ground with the park. Hilton has agreed to be part of it when it breaks ground and is mentioned in the 17 page document presented to the city hall.

I'm a member of MWSA. These plans need our approval before the city and County considers them. Of couse they are also public documents anyone can look at in City Hall South. The problem is do you know they exist to look them up. :P Nothing is released for Press from City Hall unless it is a sure thing. This is going on off the radar screen right now. I don't know if the hotel and galleries will materialize? Don hasn't moved past the vision stage with that but he did get a hotel chain for the proposed hotel. The renderings only show the condo tower and we do know the condo tower is slowly moving foward. You will see it in the news when the first units go on the market and they formally seek funding.

I post about once a month on all the forums. :lol:

I only wish Matthew would post on Winston-Salem over here and at some of the other forums.

Park Place South required the destruction of the post office and two parking decks. This current scaled down plan only calls for the destruction of one parking deck and the post office and the other deck will be kept. They will build this single condo tower and when the park breaks ground they will build the galleries around the strollway. Don is moving his hotel to Liberty Street when they close Third and open up a long space for the hotel. He is at the table with the city and Piedmont Federal bank trying to buy that property for his 8 story hotel. It does look like towers will surround the park when its build just like the city and Sasaki Associates predicted. All of this will be super sweet when its finished. A 15 story condo tower, possible 55 story bank tower, 8 story hotel, galleries, concert shell, sculpture, and an interactive fountain. All very big plans that will take atleast five years to get built but when they are finished will make such a big difference for those of us who live, work, and play downtown. I don't have a car so this is great for me. They also want to make the old courthouse across from One West Fourth and Winston Tower a grocery store. Ground can't break fast enough. :P

• 1 year later...

... A 15 story condo tower, possible 55 story bank tower, 8 story hotel, galleries, concert shell, sculpture, and an interactive fountain. All very big plans that will take atleast five years to get built but when they are finished will make such a big difference for those of us who live, work, and play downtown....

55 stories?? :blink: Who is supposed to be buidling that, BB&T? To me it seems like a tower that big in W-S would just dwarf everything else and look a little silly. What are the possibilities of 25 story twin towers? :)

I don't think a 55 story tower would look that much out of place considering that the Wachovia Center is 460' tall and that there is enough topography downtown that it might be built in a lower area like the site of BB&T's hq. Look at the effect of the BofA building in Charlotte v. the previous tallest old First Union hq - it's 280 feet taller or the equivalent of a 20-25 story bldg on top of the First Union bldg. And so, it's not a stretch...the stretch would be to get BB&T to actually build a new headquarters (and then actually build it tall).

Archived