Number of high rises u/c in selected N.A. cities

G W North

Number of high-rises under construction as per skyscrapers.com for selected cities:

new york: 67

toronto: 55

vancouver: 29

miami: 28

montreal: 22

chicago: 22

calgary: 14

boston: 14

washington: 13

miami beach: 10

san diego: 9

ottawa: 8

san francisco: 8

edmonton: 7

portland: 7

mississauga: 6

houston: 6

atlanta: 6

seattle: 5

denver: 5

honolulu: 4

los angeles: 4

minneapolis: 4

dallas: 4

quebec city: 2

kansas city: 2

cleveland: 2

louisville: 2

buffalo: 1

new orleans: 1

sacramento: 1

cincinnati: 1

winnipeg: 0

detroit: 0

charlotte: 0

st. louis: 0

memphis: 0

nashville: 0

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's some surprises there. Metro Atlanta grew by more than 1 million people in the 1990s with only 4 u/c? I know that's only the city proper, but I don't think many are u/c in the suburbs. And Los Angeles has only 4 with nearly 4 million people. You'd think Detroit would have a few with it's "resurgence". I'm surprised Charlotte has none as I thought it's downtown was booming. I'm suprised Buffalo has 1 as it has gotten very little significant development over the last 10-12 years (I figured it would have none). Winnipeg is perhaps Canada's most stagnant major city and has been for a while now.

Overall Canadian cities do seem to have more on a per capita basis (comparing the metro areas anyways).

I'd rather post metro numbers, but I don't think they give such listings, so you'd have to go through every city in every metro. Toronto, Vancouver, Miami, and New York are probably the only metro areas with more than a few suburban high rises u/c anyways.

I'm also very surprised with Boston. I thought they only had maybe 3 or 4 u/c, not 14.

It's cool living in a metro where more than 60 highrise buildings are under construction. I see probably a dozen every morning on my drive to work alone.

Detroit's resurgence is concentrating on reusing what we already have. There are several skyscrapers that are completely vacant and many smaller buildings that are vacant. Sure, we could put up all kinds of new skyscrapers, but then we'd have even more vacant buildings to look at, since the ones that are being renovated would not be renovated.

There are a few projects in the pipeline, such as the River East office building (10 floors). The city is also working with developers to put up a tall residential building on the Hudson block. I believe that Schostak is the developer the city is working with. The catch is that they have to wait and see how the lofts of merchants row across the street sell before construction begins. If the lofts do not sell at the expected rate, then the deal is off. Fortunately, the lofts are selling better than expected.

Also, keep in mind that the office market has been weak all over the country since 2000. Once the office market pics up we should see some new highrises being constructed.

Uhm, Providence... :unsure:

Oh right, zero. :(

The GTECH Headquarters is supposedly breaking ground 'this fall,' but it's been lopped down to 12 floors, don't think it applies. :(

There's a few potential projects in the pipeline, but nothing ready to go, and certainly nothing UC.

I thought New York was slowing down with construction? I was obviously wrong... Also, what is the tallest building in Harrisburg? I've been there a couple times recently (or rather, by it) and crossing the bridge looking back at the city, it didn't look like much.

The tallest building is 333 Market Street which was built in 1979. It's such in ugly building, I really wish they would tear it down and build a new taller one. The second tallest building at 25 floors, which will be a mix of office and condiminiums, will actually be built right across the street from it on what is now a parking lot.

The mayor has "hinted" at his last press conference that something big will be announced later this year. I'm hoping it's by a different developer then the one who has built the past three office buildings in downtown...they all look almost exactly the same -- egg white buildings with black windows. We need some nice arcitecture.

Actually, according to emporis.com, a skyscraper is anything over 12 floors. However, to some people, 12 floors is a midrise, and anything taller than about 20 floors is a highrise. Personally, I don't really care either way. I tend to say that anything between 10 and 20 floor is a midrise, but I've been known to call a 12 story building a skyscraper before.

12 floors a highriselaugh.gif

Lets come back down to earth and show true highrises.

Buildings 500 feet or higher under construction:

New York City: 9

Chicago: 5

Toronto: 1

Miami: 1

San Francisco: 0

Philadelphia: 0

Los Angeles: 0

Boston: 0

Houston: 0

Kansas City: 0

Vancouver: 0

Buildings 300 feet or higher under construction:

New York City: 19

Chicago: 10

Toronto: 8

Vancouver: 8

Miami: 7

Philadelphia: 1

San Francisco: 1

Houston: 1

Approved 1000 feet or higher Approved is a step above proposed

New York City: 2

Chicago: 2

Philadelphia: 0

Miami: 0

Approved 500 feet or higher

Chicago: 6

Toronto: 5

New York City: 3

Miami: 1

San Francisco: 1

Vancouver: 1

Approved 300 feet or higher

Chicago: 12

Toronto: 11

Vancouver: 6

New York City: 4

Boston: 4

San Francisco: 3

Miami: 3

Philadelphia: 2

Houston: 2

Buildings completed since 2000, 300 feet or higher

New York City: 37

Chicago: 32

Houston: 14

Toronto: 13

Vancouver: 13

San Francisco: 6

Miami: 6

Boston: 4

Los Angeles: 1

Kansas City: 1

Grand total of 300 feet or higher - approved, under construction, or completed whenever

New York City: 562

Chicago: 281

Houston: 101

Toronto: 83

San Francisco: 91

Vancouver: 70

Philadelphia: 68

Los Angeles: 64

Boston: 54

Miami: 43

Kansas City: 16

I'll do proposed later.

The first skyscraper was 12 floors, and (there are two possibilities) one was in Chicago and the other in NYC...

KC had a 12 floor steel built building (with an elevator) in about 1888, it's one of the oldest true skyscrapers still standing.

muler, here is a great definition...

1-8 floors, lowrise

9-11 floors, midrise

12-15 floors, highrise

16-80 floors, skyscraper

80+, superskyscraper...

Whenever I refer to something as a highrise, I mean anything over 120ft tall...

Total proposed highrises for KC: (proposed, on hold, under construction) 16

Total highrises and midrises proposed, oh and uc in KC: 24

Like I said, you cannot go by your own definitions, you have to go by official definitions... OFFICIALLY a highrise is anything over 12 floors that has steel construction. (from skyscrapers.com and the CTBUH)

This is a continuation of the real high rise list:

Proposed; these are proposed buildings that have a very good chance of being built.

Proposed buildings over 500 hundred feet

Chicago: 7

New York City: 5

Philadelphia: 4

Boston: 2

Proposed buildings over 300 feet

Chicago: 14

New York City: 9

Boston: 6

Vancouver: 6

Philadelphia: 5

Toronto: 4

Houston: 1

I should have mentioned this in the prior list.

example of one city: If Chicago has 7 buildings over 500 feet proposed and 14 buildings over 300 feet proposed, the 14 buildings over 300 feet include the 7 over 500. The grand total of buildings proposed for Chicago over 300 feet would not be 21 but it would be 14.

Archived