The Avenue

monsoon

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very good news but a bit confusing to me as another plot of land was announced for rezoning and someone said it was 34 stories? Separate projects, correct? I think the time is just right for this type of market in Charlotte, people seem to embracing it and wanting to move downtown. Hopefully it won't be long before we start getting some major retail in the downtown area!

An Atlanta developer, Novare Group,  has announced they want to build a 35 story 390 unit tower at the corner of N. Church & W. Fifth street. 

If the project happens, they will break ground in late 2005.  The final design is not completed and the final height may change.  I would assume depending upon demand.

The prices seem to be a bit better than the other recently announced highrises ranging from $170s to $325K, but the average unit size will be 900 sq ft.  Still very tiny by Charlotte standards.  The ground floor will will have retail space.  A very good  trend these days.

I think this is a good development for Charlotte and that side of downtown needed something such as this.  Personally I think the area west of Tyron is the most desirable and pedestrian friendly area of downtown, so this will be a nice addition.  Another benefit is that it allows Charlotte to maintain its claim as having the highest residential towers in the Carolinas as Myrtle Beach is soon to surpass Charlotte in this regard with several projects being announced there in the 28+ story range. 

Some of this outfit's other projects.  (mostly in Atlanta)

image.jpgcentennial.jpg

ponce.jpgmetropolis3_lg.jpg

metropolis2_lg.jpgcentennial3_lg.jpg

First some corrections:

1.Construction is set to start 2Q 2005...that would be mid 2005 not late 2005.

2.Also, to clear up any confusion, Myrtle Beach is in South Carolina and would have no bearing on Charlotte having the tallest residential tower in North Carolina.

This particular spot has been planned to be a condo tower since at least 1996 when the IJL Financial Center tower was first announced. At the time it was going to be a 20 story tower...but nothing ever matierlized until today. And well good things come to those who wait....35 stories. That will be quite something. I look forward to seeing the design of this building.

Very good news but a bit confusing to me as another plot of land was announced for rezoning and someone said it was 34 stories? Separate projects, correct? I think the time is just right for this type of market in Charlotte, people seem to embracing it and wanting to move downtown. Hopefully it won't be long before we start getting some major retail in the downtown area!

You are thinking of the new Wachovia office tower planned for S Tryon St near the 1st St intersection. It is planned to be 34 stories. Construction however will probably start about the same time as this proposed condo tower.

I read the news today and I got very excited about this project. Uptown Charlotte is definitely on the right track and I am really happy for you guys!!! Sure, I wish we could get something like this in Raleigh, but I know that Charlotte's lead is hard to ignore. Besides, it will shut the mouths of many critics who fail to see the big picture for North Carolina's largest city. I am anxious to see drawings, but I am sure someone will post them as soon as they become available.

Two thumbs up for Charlotte!!!

Wow, thats good news! For a second I thought this was about the new Wachovia tower.... Myrtle Beach is definately in the Carolinas :) It might have the most and the tallest resedential towers in South Carolina. Columbia and Greenville have only a handful- Spartanburg and Charleston only have 1.

I read this story this morning too and got really excited. Not to down-play Charlotte's other high-rise condo projects but I'm glad to see a "tall" condo tower being built. I have been waiting for a 30+ floor condo tower for a while. All though the other towers will have an impact on the urban fabric of uptown I feel this one will actually have a real impact on the skyline as a whole.

In the article there were two quotes that caught my eye, one saying we could see a condo tower boom affect the skyline in the 2000's much in the way the office tower boom did in the 90's and anyone that went through the other thread showing 1990's uptown saw how much that boom changed the face of uptown so this is an exciting comment. Second quote (and I forget who from) said that they KNEW of other developers looking at projects uptown. I can't wait for more upcoming proposals.

By the way, when did all of this new info on the Wachovia tower come out. I thought I was keeping up with it pretty well and the next thing I know everyone on all of the forums knows all of these definites about height. I guess I missed it but I'm glad to see that it went taller than I was expecting.

I think this announcement is really making me think that Charlotte's uptown population could double in 5 years.

~8500 people currently

390 units here for ~600 people

104 units at Courtside for ~160 people

107 units at The Park for ~160 people

800 students at Spectrum's City View towers

750 students at J & W dorms

that gets us to ~ 10K when all these projects are fully moved-in in a few years.

I'm looking forward to seeing what else is announced for uptown. Theoretically, we should at least see announcements for units to house the rest of the 4,000 J&W students by 2007.

As far as the Wachovia building goes, the new info came out because the applied for a rezoning and an article showed up in the observer on Thursday.

Just for the sake of interest I went back to the first page of the NODA (Pt. II) thread and looked at monsoon's photo of uptown shot from NODA. A 35 floor tower in that location will have a big impact on the skyline when veiwed from that angle. Hearst, BofA, and IJL already looked terrific there next to each other and this new building will not only increase the width of that line but will also add some dimension to that view. Also when you look at that photo from monsoon's angle you can see that a building there may also visually attach Carillon to the rest of Uptown's towers so that (at least from that angle) it won't appear so far out on it's own.

• 1 month later...

Topic to discuss the Avenue

Construction starting

Looks like the tallest residential tower between DC and Atlanta is about to start construction. Interesting to note the developers have added an additional floor. 36 total floors.

Admin note" since this was announced, a 50 story and 53 story tower was announced, this is a consolidation of several threads

avenue.jpg

There are parking lots further down 6th street that can be built on. There are blocks of parking lots between Courtside and the offices of Tryon

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, but my understanding is that Levine has all of those or the city has plans for something non-residential in the ones between Courtside and the Square. I asked Furman if there were any plans to team up with Levine and he laughed as if that would be very unlikely. Said that Levine has his number if he wants to bring it up, almost as if that would be great opportunity but that Levine was way out of his league or something.

The lots on sixth street sound intriguing, but would those be considered "closer."

Hmmmm I dont know. there could be any lot or something anywhere really. Who really pay'd attention to the lot that Novare's tower is gonna be built on? That is VERY close to the square. So I am sure there is a lot or soemthing somewhere,w e jsut havnt thought of it yet hehe.

Archived