The Avenue

monsoon

For those of you who are not familiar with the specific lot and old house on 8th street, here is a picture and subsequent links to more information:

http://maps2.co.mecklenburg.nc.us/website/...DValue=08010204

I got the rezoning petition in the mail, and thought it was good infill replace an unimpressive old house.  The lot next door is a group of townhouses, so it didn't seem out of character with the neighborhood. 

I don't think the house has much historic value, although i was surprised to see that it is 90 years old, but i think it was originally a shotgun house from the olden days.... but it has been modified so much, it is hard to see it as historically important.

I'm not happy to hear about the lack of street-facing design.  I don't see the design on the drakeford website... do you have any links or more information?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nope, at this point you know what I know.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those old homes on 8th, while not the most attractive do have historical value. If it were up to the City of Charlotte then none of them would be in existance today. The City wanted to mow them down as part of the old Earle Village public housing complex. Instead the owners stood up to the city and sued and won. They stand as a symbol of one of the few things in this city to survive the urban renewal efforts of the 60s and 70s.

If anything I think that a single family home should go there as thats what is in the First Ward Master Plan...single family homes on 8th, 9th, and 10th.

But if townhomes MUST go on that parcel, then make them face the street like everything else in First Ward.

If you want an idea of what Drakeford wants to build, then go take a look at the Grandin over in Wesley Heights....but turn it 90 degrees to that the sides of the buildings face the street instead of the fronts.

grandin.jpg

Good points. I didn't know they were on the chopping block before. In this case, the owner has signed on.

On the other hand, it is really positive that a long time resident of the community is actually able to cash in on the success of the neighborhood. Gentrification is bad for most longtime residents, but when they own and are able to take advantage of the major appreciation, their lives and financial security can improve dramatically.

You make some good arguments, and I agree that single-family homes would be most appropriate for that block. those homes are just so mediocre and forgettable, they don't seem worthy of permanency. (By the way, i want to start a fund to repaint the glow-stick yellow house at 8th & Myers :sick: ).

The part that bugs me about it is the idea that someone would tear anything near a century old and not replace it with the a design worthy of another century.

Hmmmm I dont know. there could be any lot or something anywhere really. Who really pay'd attention to the lot that Novare's tower is gonna be built on? That is VERY close to the square. So I am sure there is a lot or soemthing somewhere,w e jsut havnt thought of it yet hehe.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is it possible that Furman is the "anonymous competitor" of Spectrum for the convention center project?

Is it possible that Furman is the "anonymous competitor" of Spectrum for the convention center project?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd thought of that too, but it seemed almost too radical to suggest. Would he really go through all the trouble it takes to tear down the old building? I don't know. Maybe if he wanted to build a 45 story residential building. But then where would Uptown get its much needed shopping and movies?

:(

A movie theater is going up on Elizabeth Ave, so that it take care of for the most part, even if the OCC is replaced purely with Residential. I don't think that even if Furman builds there that that block will only be condos. At Village of South End, Furman has both office and I think he worked with Crosland on the commercial space. Certainly on the OCC block, he will work with someone to bring sizeable commercial space in a addition to a a tall condo building.

It will be great if Furman is the one, he is certainly making a big name for himself here, and the more successful he is, the better it is for Charlotte.

I hope that whatever project goes on this block does not need public assistance. That way more money is available to spur development in places with less momentum, like 2nd ward or the block just south of the transportation center.

• 1 month later...

Good points. I didn't know they were on the chopping block before. In this case, the owner has signed on. 

On the other hand, it is really positive that a long time  resident of the community is actually able to cash in on  the success of the neighborhood. Gentrification is bad for most longtime residents, but when they own and are able to take advantage of the major appreciation, their lives and financial security can improve dramatically.

You make some good arguments, and I agree that single-family homes would be most appropriate for that block.  those homes are just so mediocre and forgettable, they don't seem worthy of permanency.  (By the way, i want to start a fund to repaint the glow-stick yellow house  at 8th & Myers  :sick: ).

The part that bugs me about it is the idea that someone would tear anything near a century old and not replace it with the a design worthy of another century.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For anyone interested, there will be a meeting on Thursday at the AME Zion at 5:30 about the new proposal for townhomes by the Drakeford Company. Sounds like they've greatly modified their former plan to have front facing townhomes that are relatively large in square footage and each include a two-car garage.

Look for me there...I'll be the one with the SmellyCat nametag on. :-)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Word is that the meeting regarding the Drakeford Company's proposal will be a contentious one. Apparently, one of the long time residents of First Ward is strongly opposed to any further development along 8th and wants to preserve those single-family houses as historic homes or something. I think it is important that everyone show up to express their viewpoint as First Ward or Uptown residents.

Its not just one resident...but a LOT of residents of First Ward that are not happy with the development plans. However I am willing to see what improvements to the plan Drakeford has made and make my judgement at that time. I just hope that whatever he presents will be better than his Gradin townhome project...which is not all that good looking in my opinion.

There is a move on by the Mecklenburg Historical Commision to designate those properties as historical...which would mean there would be a 1 year moratorium on any development.

Speaking of First Ward development plans, what ever happened with the renovation of the old red Treloar House on 7th & Brevard?  It was in the city's development report as an office/retail renovation project by Levine.  It's just sitting there collecting dust.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it will be factored into whatever their plan is when they reveal it in the next few months. I guess ULI has returned with the plan and it is being reviewed by Levine and will be modified depending on his comments.

The soon to be released ULI plan is interesting....but a bit vague...the house is not mentioned specifically. The most interesting recommendation in it is that the park be rotated 90 degrees from the current plan so that it would run between college and brevard street and 8th and 9th streets.....whether this will transpire is tough to say, especially since it would require coordinating with CATS since the trolley and LRT would be running across the park and theoretically over a parking garage. It may be a possibility since Levine did participate in the plan, though I'm not sure to what extent he supports the park in that location. There are also a few skyscrapers envisioned in the plan, but then again it's just a vision so it's unlikely things will develop exactly as recommended.

The soon to be released ULI plan is interesting....but a bit vague...the house is not mentioned specifically.  The most interesting recommendation in it is that the park be rotated 90 degrees from the current plan so that it would run between college and brevard street and 8th and 9th streets.....whether this will transpire is tough to say, especially since it would require coordinating with CATS since the trolley and LRT would be running across the park and theoretically over a parking garage.  It may be a possibility since Levine did participate in the plan, though I'm not sure to what extent he supports the park in that location.  There are also a few skyscrapers envisioned in the plan, but then again it's just a vision so it's unlikely things will develop exactly as recommended.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My guess is that he'll want his buildings to be on the park as a selling point. Is the park envisioned to be large or small? Hopefully they don't recommend putting the skyscraper directly across from Courtside (for selfish reasons :)).

Well......not right across......as it is now, think 30 stories between 5th and 6th streets at brevard....actually think about two of those on each side of brevard.....again, it is just a vision plan. We'll see if any developer is interested in the idea. Although, from what I understand, the parcels that they are on (which the city owns), especially the on between brevard and the rail tracks is so expensive, that you have to go highrise (over 20 stories) to make it work financially. As far as Levine. He owns so much land and has such a grand plan that I don't think the house is that important to his overall vision. However, it is likely that he will start the commercial component of his plan with the house and some additions, seeing as it is already built and has some recognition.

Well......not right across......as it is now, think 30 stories between 5th and 6th streets at brevard....actually think about two of those on each side of brevard.....again, it is just a vision plan.  We'll see if any developer is interested in the idea.  Although, from what I understand, the parcels that they are on (which the city owns), especially the on between brevard and the rail tracks is so expensive, that you have to go highrise (over 20 stories) to make it work financially.  As far as Levine.  He owns so much land and has such a grand plan that I don't think the house is that important to his overall vision.  However, it is likely that he will start the commercial component of his plan with the house and some additions, seeing as it is already built and has some recognition.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So you're talking about the "pork chop" shaped lots that are right next to the arena? A bit of a relief, then, since those wouldn't entirely block a view. My reading of what's to be done with the lot with the Treolar house is that the buildings are only to be 3 or 4 stories. But that's an old plan.

Lol.....sorry, but the breakfast club's days are probably numbered. The two towers are proposed at the narrow part of each "pork chop"....plus I think a shorter tower (maybe 19 stories) is shown up along the rail line.....maybe they'll find a way to intergrate the breakfast club into the new development :-)

I think he has backed off the old Treloar house plans for now, but will be looking to do something with them sometime by late this year.....maybe.....I don't think Levine is planning anything more than 8 stories in that part of his land. The taller stuff would be closer the the rail tracks and along I-277.

For anyone interested, there will be a meeting on Thursday at the AME Zion at 5:30 about the new proposal for townhomes by the Drakeford Company.  Sounds like they've greatly modified their former plan to have front facing townhomes that are relatively large in square footage and each include a two-car garage.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Any update on the Drakeford project?

Archived