Every major city or town has a Chinatown

Delta

Sydney's main Chinatown is located on the south-western fringe of the traditional CBD. Since it's humble beginnings in the early half of the 20th C. where mah jong parlours and opium dens were basically only known to the Chinese. The precinct has now become an integral part of the city.

Dixon Street has always been the tradtional centre yet as Sydney's boundaries bust at their seams, it has stretched for quite a few blocks beyond to become just as visible as any other entertainment area in or around the downtown areas.

Welcome to Dixon Street, long closed to vehicular traffic:

chinatown7.jpg

chinatown4.jpg

chinatown6.jpg

Not for the rain but for the evil sprits to slide off:

chinatown5.jpg

Sussex Street:

chinatown1.jpg

Haymarket:

chinatown3.jpg

Fairs with stalls 'n music are a common occurrence:

chinatown2.jpg

Food halls a' plenty...

chinatown8.jpg

Vibrant 24/7:

Sydney_Chinatown.jpg

chinatwnlge.jpg

Aus_Sydney_Chinatown_01_MSN_Messenger.jpg

...and a few blocks away are The Darling Harbour Chinese Gardens:

chinesegardens1.jpg

Chinese%20gardens,%20central%20Sydney.JPG

meditation04.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would you destroy such a wonderful thing...  :angry:

Because it was much easier to put a freeway through a minority neighborhood like Chinatown or Black Bottom than it was to put it through some rich white neighborhood. Chinatown got cut in half by the Lodge. It never recovered, since the Chinese never restablished the area. The city tried to help by creating an area where a Chinese open air market could occur, but that never took off either.

Providence doesn't have a Chinatown. But a popular story has it that former mayor Cianci visited San Francisco's Chinatown and was so impressed he ordered one of his aides to begin work on building a Chinatown in Providence. Only problem, there aren't that many Chinese people in Rhode Island. :o

Boston's Chinatown was servely impacted by the construction of the original Central Artery through the city. The city's red light district also set up shop in Chinatown after it's old location, Scollay Square was cleared to make way for Government Centre. The red light district was known as the Combat Zone and for years, the Combat Zone and Chinatown were virtually synonymous.

Today Chinatown is experiencing a bit of a renaissance with the burying of the Central Artery and the creation of the Rose Kennedy Greenway, Chinatown is becoming a hot area for developers.

It strikes me as funny to want to "build' a Chinatown. Most Chinatowns were developed gradually by Chinese people living near eachother and thus creating a demand for Chinese restaurants, shops, etc.

Cianci was a funny guy.

I don't think it's that weird to want a chinatown, or even encourage it's development. They make popular attractions in a lot of cities, and the added diversity is always a plus. In Ft. Lauderdale they're working with China to create a China Trade Zone which will in effect be a "chinatown" with shops, residences and import/export facilities.

Miami could use a Chinatown. There's quite a few asians around, but most of them are spread out through the suburbs.

Here's a little of the Chinatown in Honolulu, i think it used to be the oldest in the US at one time until they burned the whole thing down because of the bubonic plague but its still one of the oldest, the first Chinese arrived in Hawaii in the yeat 1789 way before they settled on the US Mainland or Canada. Hawaii was a huge gateway for many of the first asian and pacific islander migrants to the US.

BTW Honolulu's Chinatown is a lot different looking than other Chinatowns it doesnt have all the large signs or bright lights as they wanted to preserve the original feel of the place and billboard type signs are illegal in Hawaii.

The Main Chinatown in Honolulu is a little over 15 city blocks in size

chinatwn16.jpg

I love this building its at the outer edge

aa5.jpg

Honolulu's Chinatown is also very mutlicultural as there are many korean, filipino, thai, laotian, vietnamese, indian, hawaiian, samoan, etc businesses there too.

aa33.jpg

aa35.jpg

aa41.jpg

aa50.jpg

aa66.jpg

aa99.jpg

aa96.jpg

aa94.jpg

aa92.jpg

aa37.jpg

aa63.jpg

chinatwn2larger.jpg

chinatwn6.jpg

chinatwn15.jpg

chinatwn13.jpg

chinatwn23.jpg

chinatwn25.jpg

...a little bit of Taiwan

aa10.jpg

aa8.jpg

hehe we have a little bit of everything most stuff is scattered or mixed in around the city

..a little bit of Vietnam

aa70.jpg

aa73.jpg

aa71.jpg

aa74.jpg

aa77.jpg

...a little bit of korea

LittleSeoul.jpg

korean%20newspapers.jpg

l6.jpg

l17.jpg

k4.jpg

ahh yeah?

k13.jpg

Queens, New York has a Chinatown in Flushing. Downtown Flushing is overwhelmingly Chinese, with Japanese and Koean areas on the edges. Further down Main Street there are many South Asian shops and restaurants, Indian, Pakistani, Afghani, Bangladeshi...

Actually Delta, in the United States there are loads of large cities without a Chinatown. As far as I know, none of the following cities have a Chinatown for example:

Denver

Minneapolis

Miami

Buffalo

Detroit

Dallas

Phoenix

Atlanta.......

Nearly every city in Canada has a Chinatown though, even Victoria (metro population 300,000).

A lot of those places wouldn't make sense to have a Chinatown. I mean, Buffalo? C'mon. And Miami is obviously more spanish/caribbean inspired.

Edit: Oh yeah and Victoria is right across the... bay? from Vancouver, which, as I'm sure you know, has the highest Asian population outside Asia.

Yes, but even Winnipeg (metro pop. 700,000), which is nowhere near any major city with lots of Asians has a Chinatown. The point being Winnipeg has a smaller Chinese population than other cities that don't have Chinatowns.

The only major (metro population over 200,000) cities in Canada that might not have a Chinatown (I don't know if they do or not) are cities like:

Regina

Saskatoon

Quebec City

Halifax

etc.

The only 500k+ metro that might not have a Chinatown is Quebec City.

Urbanrailfan, NYC has more than one Chinatown i think LA does too.

monsoon, thats a trip an Asian Mall? Wow, i'm guessing its out in the burbs somewhere? I'm kind of wondering how or if such things as Chinatowns or whatever will develop in the newer boomtowns such as Charlotte or other cities that are just starting to see a larger influx of other races/ethnicities that were not as common in the past? I can't picture a Chinatown, Koreatown, Japantown, Filipinotown, Little India, etc forming in those cities as the people now are more global, educated, and many immigrants now a days seem to move to the burbs. What do you think? I could be wrong though cause some cities now a days have newer formerly recognized hoods like Little Mexico's, Little Ethiopia's, etc :unsure:

Here in Honolulu our newest immigrant waves are the Micronesians which eventually other parts of the US will end up seeing a large number of them, Hawaii is like a stepping stone for many of the first Pacific Islander to Asian migrants to the US and this is the next batch. I think the latest estimate for the Micronesian pop in Honolulu is like around 20,000, they have become very noticeable very fast and already subgroups like the Marshallese and possibly the Chuukese have already out grew the Tongan population which has a history in Hawaii dating back a 100 yrs. The Micronesians seem to be scattered though but there are area's that certain ethnic groups tend to rotate too like the majority of Palauans seem to live just east of the the CBD, the Chuukese in Kalihi, Palolo, and Makiki the Marshallese in Waipahu, Makiki, the Kosraeans in central Honolulu, the Pohnpeians central Honolulu to Kaimuki, etc etc this wave has brought like 20-30 different languages/ethnic groups so it has put a strain on resources and there's a huge need for interpreters and people that are familiar with their cultures. :ph34r:

South of Boston the city of Quincy (which is at the southern end of the T's RedLine) is attempting to develop a sort of Chinatown around a Chinese Mall. Boston's Chinatown has become quite pricy so a lot of the smaller shops are moving out of the city, Quincy has a small nexus of Chinese shops that it is trying to build on.

New York's Chinatown in Flushing has been growing as people are priced out of the Manhattan Chinatown as well.

I think though immigrants are tending to settle in the suburbs as much as the cities, we'll still see a need and desire for ethnic enclaves. I've known many suburban Chinese who frequently go into Boston or New York's Chinatowns to make purchases that can't be made in the suburbs, and simply to socialize.

The economies of scale make it difficult to have everything available to a spread out population, having a central city location where people from all over can converge to shop allows merchants to make things available that wouldn't be economically feesible for shops with a less concentrated customer base in the suburbs.

A lot of those places wouldn't make sense to have a Chinatown. I mean, Buffalo? C'mon. And Miami is obviously more spanish/caribbean inspired.

So why would being spanish influenced take away from us having a chinatown? I don't know the numbers, but I see a large number of Asians here in Miami. Most of them are middle class suburbanites. They don't need a chinatown.

It's ture we're more carribean inspired, but I don't really see what that has to do with it. We also get a lot of asians via latin america and carribean. There's a Japanese-Brasilian here at work, and quite a few Jamaican/Chinese and Trinidadian/Chinese people here. It makes for some interesting dining options with Chinese/Cuban and Jerk/Chinese being popular in some places.

I don't see what's so wrong with the mall.

Oh and Orlando has a rather large Little Saigon neighborhood.

Archived