News on GR's new Hotel

Allan

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They have announced that the new parking lot that will be built next to the Marriott will have 751 spaces and be over 100ft tall. It will be 10 stories, 9 above, one below.

(Business Journal)

I heard that they were considering adding more stories to the Riverfront Plaza Building and the old Telephone and Power (is that what it is called?) building. It sounds like it is almost a must now that the ramp will eclipse the Riverfront Building. The Riverfront building will have 141 spaces reserved in the new ramp which makes me think they will be building up (the building is maybe 5 stories, I wouldn't think 141 spaces would be necessary for a 5 story building).

Joe

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If they save anything from Isreals, it would be neat to see some of the archtetural artifacts integrated into the parking ramp I will say one thing about GR, it has some of the most archtecturally interesting Parking ramps I've ever seen.

I agree. The last thre parking ramps that have been built look very nice. I hope that this new ramp includes ground level retail. That street is in dire need of some frontage. Right now it is like all the building have their back turned to the street with parking lots galore. Adding streetlevel retail would make this an interesting (and more pedestrian friendly) street.

Joe

I am a bit skeptical about the addition of a 9 story parking lot in the area. Although I will not argue that is not needed, they have a tendency of not creating a vibrant street for pedestrians. I wish that they would put retail/restaurants on the first floor, as is the norm in many other cities. Recently, I went to Arlington, VA and they just completed a 5 story parking garage with boutique stores along the street-front...the way all parking ramps should be.

Jonny, Welcome to the forum.

I agree. I think it is imperative that they put storefronts on the first level. This will be the third parking ramp on this small street (four if you include Plaza Towers which sits back from the road). They need some activity to make it not seem like a cavern...

Joe

I have a feeling that it will have some ground floor retail. It would actually be a good place for a small store to service all of the surrounding condos and apartments. Ground floor retail is becoming pretty much a standard for parking ramps these days.

I just wonder why it took people this long to figure it out.

Archived