Greenville Transit

jarvismj

What is different about the people of the upstate than say the people in Charlotte/Mecklenburg 90 miles away where they did vote for a mass transit sales tax? That tax has made it possible for the city to have started construction of its first light rail line.

In Charlotte, (i) traffic is worse, (ii) business leaders have really pushed for it (the big banks' heads have a lot of influence, and one of them is very pro-downtown development/mass transit, and (iii) there aren't as many anti-tax/pro-libertarian advocates in Charlotte as in G'ville.

What is different about the people of the upstate than say the people in Charlotte/Mecklenburg 90 miles away where they did vote for a mass transit sales tax? That tax has made it possible for the city to have started construction of its first light rail line.

Case & Point: Last week, voters in Pickens County (Greenville suburb), voted against a 1% sales tax increase for schools.

Local voters said no to taxes for schools. You expect them to vote yes for a transit initiative? (yes, I understand they're in a different county, but mindsets do transcend borders.)

Charlotte's traffic is worse than Grenville's. I think we can agree on that. if we're ever to get light rail here, it would take a private company paying a hefty portion of it, and I can't see that happening.

Charlotte's voter's also just turned down a huge bond issue for schools. I don't think the two are related.

Look at it this way: I don't think most people here think transportation has reached a "critical mass". That being said, I'd think if given a choice, more people would vote to fund schools over light rail.

Sure, two different issues, but it still speaks to people's views as a whole, which is....we're being taxed too much!

And we already did vote to fund schools. We're beginning to see the fruits of our bond issue(s) here as construction on new schools and rennovation of older schools (nearly every school in Greenville County is being replaced or rennovated) is well under progress (and finished, in many cases).

I like the results I'm seeing. Now if we could just do something about teacher salaries and the quality of teaching in public schools...

Case & Point: Last week, voters in Pickens County (Greenville suburb), voted against a 1% sales tax increase for schools.

Local voters said no to taxes for schools. You expect them to vote yes for a transit initiative? (yes, I understand they're in a different county, but mindsets do transcend borders.)

There is a vast difference in the way Pickens County would vote and Greenville County (more so if it was Greenville City). See RT's note above about Greenville County and schools. Greenville County voted a few years ago to pour large amounts of money into it's school system and it's paying off! :thumbsup:

I live in Greenville County, and I would be in favor of a light rail/mass transit initiative. I am not, however, in favor of more funding for schools.

I would go into how I feel about the school system, but this is about mass transit, so I will save that for another time and another thread.

I wish the uncertainty about the north-south rail line would come to an end. The groups that are trying to buy it to reopen it are making a mistake in trying to have a rail line for industry that is no longer there, and not coming back. The community as a whole would be better served by a 10-15 year plan to use this as a light rail line, while currently using it as a walking trail. This would create a reason to redevelop some of the old industrial areas along the line into new/future TODs. Which I think in turn would make the whole idea of the line more appealing.

Rail Service into the Northern Part of Greenville County has some historical significance, so unless you've been here a long time, it could be difficult to understand this. I only know of it through reading articles in the two newspapers that serve Travelers Rest. At one time passenger rail service extended to Marietta, SC (north of Travelers Rest).

Although I can't see passenger service needed in Marietta, I can see a North-South line terminating in Travelers Rest, for sure. This would benefit residents of this part of the county (which is growing very fast, although not at the same rate as Simpsonville, Mauldin, or Greer). It would also be of benefit to the students at Furman University. Additionally, it would benefit the residents of other parts of the county by providing them with an alternate means to visit the foothills without driving.

I still prefer the use of these Rights of Way for Rails-to-Trails though. However, if by some chance, there is room for both light rail and Trails along these Rights of Way, I think this would definitely be something that would benefit our entire community and enhance our overall health and quality of life. -_- I could definitely envision people riding light rail from Simpsonville to Travelers Rest and bringing their bikes along and then riding back, too, if you can imagine.

Edited by RestedTraveler

North makes sense, especially with park and rides due to the growth on and around Paris Mountain. Southeast is must (Simpsonville, Mauldin). You know, when I moved here a few years ago, it seemed everything was growing East, now it seems as though Southeast / Golden Strip is outpacing the Eastside.

YA two real hugh growth areas will be Northern Greer, From HWY 29 to HWY 11, espcially around Greenville Tech on HWY 290 near where St. Marks and Stallings Rd. meet 290. That area is going to take off.

Also, Southern Greer, South of I-85, HWY 14/ Pelham to Riedville, that is going to be a hugh growth area as well. Including along HWY 101 and Abener Creek Rds.

I totally agree. Very professional-looking and well done.

One thing I think will need to happen is a line that goes to and from the airport. I seem to recall individuals (city leaders, perhaps?) mentioning in the past that even if light rail isn't fully implemented, they would at least like to have a line connecting GSP to downtown Greenville. I think that makes a lot of sense, and would need to either be an extension of a present line or its own "express" line with no stops in-between.

I think this will possibly be a catalyst for Greenville getting light rail, whenever it happens.

Thoughts?

The only real issue at hand, be a major issue with rail to GSP, is a fundemental lack of a right of way. But, as always, I'm working on it, and I want to have an updated map soon. This was just the one that will help pitch the startup service. I'm also working on several ideas that preclude the level of service, type of vehicles, station types, etc. If anyone has any ideas, PM me, or just throw them up here.

Also, when ever it is doen the CSX and or Norfolk Southern Lines should carry people out east. If you look where they arealdy go you can get these stops:

Piney Mountain

Taylors/ Pebble Creek

Taylors/ Downtown

Greer Downtown

Duncan

You would then also need a bus spur to BMW and one to GSP. The GSP bus would also go to Greer Memorial, Village at Pelham, and Pelham Falls Area.

Fear not, you will be getting the line to GSP / Greer / Taylors. There is a method to my madness, I'm just not sure of what it is at this point. Here is a new map. One idea I had is to run the system as LRT in Greenville, but as an electric commuter rail (same vehicles, fewer stops) out to Easley and Clemson. post-742-1132357485_thumb.jpg

I don't quite understand the idea of running any light rail north of DT Greenville. It would make more sense, IMO, to run it east, towards Taylors & Greer.

While I agree with that in principle, that area would probably not be very receptive to it. I could be wrong of course.

The idea of running the line north is that the ROW is already there, and I understand that part of the county is expected to see alot of growth.

I've been playing around and created the "offical map" of the GTA LRT System. Feel free to edit, change things around. post-742-1132337842_thumb.jpg

Like someone said before, this looks great, but the stops are way to cloose together. I'd mat the stops through downtown- RiverPlace, the Hyatt, and the Bilo Center. People are usually willing to walk .25 miles to a transit stop, so think of it as one every half mile or so.