Greenville Transit

jarvismj

I'm sure not saying it's not in the plan. I'm one of the ones saying it is and yes they are building a new trestle over Woodruff Road for future LRT. Just look on page 11 of this topic for pics taken by gsupstate on May 14 of the new trestle being built for it.

Edited by g-man430

Go to http://greenvilleplanning.com/transportati...grats/index.htm for more information about Greenville's future transportation plans. :thumbsup:

I read through this plan. It's good they are starting to think about transportation, but this plan is extremely light on anything having to do with public transportation and creating the conditions so that it might be successful.

At some point, Greenville is going to have to gather up the political will, to force developers via strict zoning to stop the sprawling cul de sac development and to force density along defined transportation corridors. I did see where they want to require that developers start adding sidewalks to their developments which is good, but they will need to go a lot further than that. Unfortunately I think there is an element of people who will say this violates the rights of property owners so the pain is going to have to get a lot worse before people start to demand that changes be made for this to happen.

I do encourage anyone, as the plan suggests, to get involved in their planning process and bring up these points. Its surprising to me at how little this aspect of transportation planning is understood by local governments.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going with monsoon now. If you think our state is going to get LRT within 20 years, think again. Our state can barely keep up the bus system. What makes people think they'll be able to keep up LRT?

Edited by g-man430

I will not give up talking about and hoping for some form of rail transit in the Upstate, regardless of these potential roadblocks. The future sustainability of the Upstate region will depend on a viable form of mass transit and rail would be the best option between the major hubs. Also, as Greenville continues to focus more intently on developing higher density, people will look harder at alternative methods to get around.

I will not give up talking about and hoping for some form of rail transit in the Upstate, regardless of these potential roadblocks. The future sustainability of the Upstate region will depend on a viable form of mass transit and rail would be the best option between the major hubs. Also, as Greenville continues to focus more intently on developing higher density, people will look harder at alternative methods to get around.

I sure hope your right and i'm wrong.

Why won't it ever see the light of day? Quit being so negative. :P

I was referring to the high speed rail line plans that was posted above, not the chances for light rail in Greenville.

We will not see highspeed rail from Charlotte to Atlanta which would go through Greenville simply because our current Administration does not believe in it and there is no money coming from the feds to pay for it. Likewise GA and SC do not have any funds earmarked for it.

In regards to light rail in Greenville, this is a tough one too because again the Bush Administration has essentially cut off any spending on rail transit in this country. If it happens, Greenville is going to have to come up with a significant amoung of local funding and hopefully some money from the SCDOT. Given the unprogressive nature of the SC Legislature, I don't see that happening anytime soon either.

Greenville's best bet is to look for some type of grass roots effort to get something off the ground at very low cost. Nashville did this with commuter rail, and Charlotte did it by building a 2.5 mile electric trolley line for just $19M.

These stupid people here are allowing these developers to build "vinyl villages" out in the suburbs and just causing more sprawl, just like when yesterday the paper said that Greer would be getting over 800 new homes. Same goes with the Shops at Greenridge and the Point in Greenville. Whether you agree with me or not, it's the truth. All it is is more sprawl, disgusting. :sick: The only thing that could cure it some at this point is the Verdae Development, but other than that, we got nothing and our state obviously does not have the money for a LRT line at the moment. Cities like Greenville can learn from Atlanta and do they "NO."

Edited by g-man430

The Shops at Greenridge and The Point are good utilizations of prime real estate with interstate frontage. They are within the City limits, but are not within the urban core, because they are intended to target the many people passing through Greenville, as well as the vast Upstate populous.

RANT!

UGH Woodruff Rd,.... I HAD to run to walmart after work. So I hit up 385 to Woodruff Rd. Well, I got to sit on the measely 2 lanes of 385 PAST the 85 exit because of Woodruff Rd traffic backed up onto the interstate... then I got to ease up to fight the 85ers getting on 385 just so i could get off the interstate... then i got to sit in traffic on woodruff rd til i got to walmart. UGH!

END. I feel better. thanks

Yes, however look at what it's done to Woodruff Road. All I have to say is Woodruff Road's a joke. It's ridiculous.

Neither of these projects created the Woodruff Road sprawl - that was in place years ago. If you can think of a better utilization for those large pieces of property with I-85 and I-385 frontage, I'd like to hear it.

A couple things...

While Woodruff Rd is a mess, one thing to keep is that 95% of people who have recently moved into this market will tell you the same thing: the traffic at Woodruff Rd is negligible compared to where they were before.

That's not to say it can't be fixed or isn't a pain. But things can be alot worse.

While it's easy to complain about sprawl, I think it's more productive to optimistically think through solutions than to pessimistically rant about problems. We all recognize that Woodruff Rd could have been done better. So what do we do about it?

The irony of the situation is that until we have loads more sprawl (and the negative consequences thereof), I don't envision the political climate being motivated enough to actually do anything about mass transit. With that mindset... the best thing to do to promote mass transit is to promote sprawl... the more inefficient, the better. :D

I think planning for LRT is a good idea. I think the biggest challenge is finding a second legitimate destination. Greenville is one. We don't have another. I don't think Spartanburg is close enough. I think the only possibility in the short-term (next twenty years) is the hub that will be emerging around ICAR, Verdae, and The South campus.

Greenridge and the Point certainly don't help the situation on Woodruff Rd, but that said- the advantage of Greenridge is that all of those stores are in the same shopping center rather than each building on its own lot down the side of the road (think Clemson Blvd in Anderson). Rail between Greenville and Spartanburg is very impractical at this time. The commute patterns are not strong enough to warrant it, and the densities aren't there to support it. Greenville could probably handle its own, maybe even Spartanburg one day.... though that day is far off.

The irony of the situation is that until we have loads more sprawl (and the negative consequences thereof), I don't envision the political climate being motivated enough to actually do anything about mass transit. With that mindset... the best thing to do to promote mass transit is to promote sprawl... the more inefficient, the better. :D

It's a shame we've got to be so reactive, only to find out that we're so far gone and have been for some time. Unfortunately it is like this just about everywhere in the South (and even the nation, with a few exceptions).

Neither of these projects created the Woodruff Road sprawl - that was in place years ago. If you can think of a better utilization for those large pieces of property with I-85 and I-385 frontage, I'd like to hear it.

It didn't make the sprawl, it made it worse. Sort of like that commercial with "we didn't make the car, we made it faster." :lol: Same thing is going to happen when Magnolia Park Town Center gets built, just more traffic for Woodruff Road. :sick:

Edited by g-man430