Greenville Transit

jarvismj

Jim Bourey told me something could start to be built later this year, so we'll just have to see. Forget page 11 or 22, check out page 25 of the pdf file. :thumbsup: This would have to be to construct a new facility and not upgrade an old one, because Greenville doesn't have a multi-modal transit center. We have a bus station and amtrak station, but we don't have a center that includes more than one type of transit, so this could be pretty exciting. :)

Edited by g-man430

Call GTA and tell them how you feel about their bus service being cut. They need to know that people are willing to pay like 2 dollars every year to keep this service in business. This is about our future. If you care, speak up and be heard.

I will repost this story again about service to be cut on Wednesday: http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/.../701210334/1004

Riders rely on bus service for their daily bread: http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/.../701210316/1004

Perhaps you could tell GTA's board members and your city councilors to head up highway 25 to Asheville? They've been expanding service lately. Just last year, Asheville did the inverse of what Greenville is proposing: increased bus service hours. While previously buses only ran until 6:30 or 7:00pm, now some routes run as late as 11:30pm. Ridership also increased quite a bit after a 90-day fare-free promotion.

Still far from perfect, but it's an example of a bus system that is more-or-less embraced by the community and tries to serve the community best.

I could understand bus service cuts in an area that's losing population (Detroit or Toledo or wherever) but last I checked, Greenville is still growing. They're just going to have to suck it up and realize that bus service is important, and is worthy of a piece of the property tax pie.

The funny thing is Clemson Area Transit also expanded last year too, like Asheville. The GTA could really learn something from these transit agency's. On top of that, CAT is fare-free and some of their buses run at like 2:00am in the morning sometimes.

Edited by g-man430

The funny thing is Clemson Area Transit also expanded last year too, like Asheville. The GTA could really learn something from these transit agency's. On top of that, CAT is fare-free and some of their buses run at like 2:00am in the morning sometimes.

CAT has a couple 24-hour routes, too. I wouldn't mind just seeing the CAT bus service expand into Greenville County and become the primary bus service. They go to Anderson, Seneca, Central, and Pendleton. Why not add Greenville, Mauldin, Simpsonville, Greer, and Easley, too? :silly:

:angry: Everytime I post a news story on here about GTA, it keeps getting deleted by somebody. Who is doing it? Story on GTA's decision to delay bus cut routes and fare hike: http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...EWS01/701240447

The only reason I can think of for having the links deleted involves the fact that this thread is supposed to be for light rail transit. If the mods don't think this thread is the appropriate place to discuss bus transit, then we definitely need another thread - this is an important time for public transportation in Greenville.

This thread is for all things transit in Greenville. The reason is that your posts do not contain any information other than the link. Our rules very specifically say that you should not post links on their own. Write something to encourage disucssion of the articles you think are important. Afterall, we're here to discuss the important issues, not serve as a links-only site.

Yes, it's common sense to discuss it; however, I think what Spartan is saying is that the rules of U.P. pretty clearly state that one shouldn't post just a URL without also providing some value-added discussion in the process (i.e. cite something you find particularly interesting or distrubing nfrom the article being referenced and make some commentary or ask some question about it).

I can't fault you entirely - I'm just as guilty as you are of hurriedly posting URLs without taking time immediately to add much value or to raise a question about it. I suppose I should wait until I've got more time to actually say what's on my mind about what I'm posting rather than just posting a link hoping that someone else will speak my mind for me or make a comment on something to which I can reply.

As for the GTA situation, I don't have much to offer on the topic as the transit system is very poor here to begin with as compared to other cities and it really doesn't serve any need that I personally have.

Would I like to see public transit improve? Heck, yes. Would I be willing to have part of my taxes dedicated to maintaining and growing the transit system? You bet. Are government leaders doing anything to really leverage my willingness to do so? No. It's obvious that public transit is just not a priority to any government body here. Rather than do something about the problem, they seem only to want to discuss it more. I suspect we (Greenville) are not alone in this. I'm sure this repeats itself in cities across the country as people are in love with their freakin' cars almost everywhere.

Here's my question to you RT, and to everyone: If GTA was more convenient (in terms of hours of operation, destinations, and frequency of busses) would you ride?

From my house, probably not. I live fairly close to downtown and deep in a neighborhood where a bus would most likely never travel. IF I lived OUT THERE, I'd like to think that I would ride or utilize a park and ride service- of course like you said, if it were convenient and frequent.

From Clemson for entertainment in Greenville: yes. If the CAT bus hooked up with GTA and took me around Greenville to downtown, Haywood, Woodruff, and Cherrydale, then I would definitely ride the bus. I would never ride it home, though-- too much hassle with tons of stuff to lug around.

I'm not comparing the two, i'm contrasting the two. GTA sucks and CAT doesn't. It's a fact, not an opinion. Look at CAT's route markers then look at GTA's. Look at CAT's website then look at GTA's. Look at CAT's route maps they hand out for free, then look at GTA's. The only thing you could compare is how both systems have nice looking buses, but that's it. GTA is too stupid to figure out that they should charge residents like 10+ dollars every year to keep the system going. If they weren't stupid they would of started charging residents a long time ago.

Edited by g-man430

I'm not comparing the two, i'm contrasting the two. GTA sucks and CAT doesn't. It's a fact, not an opinion. Look at CAT's route markers then look at GTA's. Look at CAT's website then look at GTA's. Look at CAT's route maps they hand out for free, then look at GTA's. The only thing you could compare is how both systems have nice looking buses, but that's it. GTA is too stupid to figure out that they should charge residents like 10+ dollars every year to keep the system going. If they weren't stupid they would of started charging residents a long time ago.

I would really encourage you to stop, analyze the situation, and contrast them more fully. Perhaps even use bullet points. Just pointing out their route markers, web sites, and route schedules/maps isn't really selling me on your argument here, man. It's not as much about how the GTA is being funded as much as it is about how whomever is managing the GTA is managing it (or not managing it, as the case may possibly be). Yes, budgetary and financial concerns are part of that; however, there's much more to it. There's obviously some strategic planning that's not being done and some failed implementation of a few key items (such as the web site, route markers, and route schedules). These are all symptoms of the same problem: effective mangement of the system. Perhaps the GTA needs to hire an administrator away from CAT? :whistling:

CAT has no route markers except on campus. I have spoken with the CAT leaders and officials on capus. The cool flag stops you see on campus (the ones with the outdated maps) are the work of the Parking Director, who knows that CAT is key to the future of Clemson's parking problems. You don't see those stops anywhere else in town though. Trust me. That freaking map that they hand out is horribly out of date in terms of route locaitions and hours of operation, among other things... and the one that is on display in the Student Union is at least 10 years old. CAT suffers from inadequate administration too. They just have the money to hide it very well plus CAT has a great operations manager and Clemson has a great parking director. The things you all praise CAT for are very simple for GTA to do, but they just have to do it for all of Greenville (which is much larger than Clemson).

GTA's management is contracted out anyway, so the City and County will probably have to wait out the contract or pay to terminate it. But that said, GTA's management does a fantastic job given the pittance that they are given. If they had more money they would be able to do a much better job of operating the system, making it more appealing to riders.

As someone who has a huge transit system at my disposal, I don't bother to use it to commute to work. This is what it will take to get Greenville up and running with a system that people will use, and I'm using this from the past few months of experience.

1) Park and Ride stations that can and will attract users.

2) Is it an amusement or an advantage in overcoming traffic gridlock.

3) Is it going to be financially justifiable? The answer to this one is no, no system is ever financially stable and justified. As so, we need to evaluate the need again. I would have ridden the GTA when I lived there, if it went to where I needed it to go, and ran more than once an hour. Once an hour is what I wait for on the commuter rail to Providence, not on the bus to Chestnut Hill.

This is sad, I have to get up at 5AM, leave for work at 5:30, drive 2 hours to get to my office. If the T had stops near me would I take it? Hell yes. Do you think that I enjoy sitting in traffic on 93? I use the hell out of the T on the weekends though. It's convenient. I pay $3 to park my truck at Wonderland, and then charge up my CharlieCard for a weekend pass ($15) It more than pays for itself after one days usage. The thing that Greenville is going to have to do is just set up the tax, and be done with it. Lots of people don't like taxes, but it doesn't bother me if it goes toward a good purpose like transportation, and not some confederate submarine.

GTA is going to have to redo the bus lines to make them integrate better than what they are already, and to offer better service, at maximum a service frequency of 30 minutes, more park and rides, and more points to transfer. In addition, I would recommend capital improvements of at least more signage for street stops, stronger bus stop shelters, maps, and buses, and an automated fare card system.

Thats all that I can think of now, but please add to the debate.

IMPORTANT REMINDER !!

There is a meeting tonight at 5:00 pm at Furman University Center's Watkins Room to discuss the Gville-TR Tram Line. Carlton Owens is conducting it.

Can someone attend and post notes? I can't get away fom work !

<_<

I may go but I'll have to leave around 6-6:30 if it goes that long. I live close by and will be out and about in the general area. Anyone else thinking for going? If so we might could say hi in person. I will be leaving for the gym shortly, run a few errands and may actually drop by the Furman Student Center early to take advantage of the free public wireless.