Greenville Transit

jarvismj

Also their are discussionsabout a  Charlotte To Atlanta High Speed line that would go through Spartanburgh, Greenville, and Clemson.

Not sure if you have seen Vision 2025 for Greenville but they mention a line from Easly, Powdersville, Greenville, Taylors, Greer, Spartanburg,

And Travelers Rest, Greenville, Mauldin, Simpsonville, Fountain Inn.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There were a few posts about that somewhere. I'll see if I can find them. It was very interesting stuff.

I realize that your spelling "Spartanburgh" with an "H" was a typo, but it might interest some to know that this is how it used to be spelled. Some useless trivia :)

• 10 months later...

I know I've reiterated this before, but again, I think that someone needs to go "rent" some dmu's such as whats in operation on the NJT's Riverline from Camden to Trenton, NJ. Have them run on the Piedmont Line between Hillcrest and downtown Greenville. Set up temporary stops and have a temporary demo service for like 30 days, with 1.50 fare one way. If we can convince suburanites in Mauldin and Simpsonville to try it, I can almost guarantee that there will be LRT Commuter Rail in the near future.

It seems to me that they are going to keep at least some grade crossings, because I believe they are planning ahead, if youve been out to the ICAR/ Millinium campus, instead of tearing up the track and paving over where it used to be they upgraded the interchanges I believe there are 2 of them. They could raise it in some areas or go subterrainian in others who knows, but the way it appears there are going to be some grade crossings. Who knows I could be wrong and that could turn out not to even be for light rail, but I think I might be right only time will tell.

After riding the DART system in Dallas yesterday, on lower traffic roads that the lines cross, they use standard crossings, but higher traffic areas, its usually on a elevated viaduct. I can see the need for a flyover on that ROW at Haywood Rd, Woodruff Rd, and Verde, but other than that segment, I don't see the need. Anyways, with the widening of Woodruff from Roper Mtn to Laurens, they will tear down that old bridge anyways, so I'd say keep it elevated from just after Industrial to before ICAR.

After riding the DART system in Dallas yesterday, on lower traffic roads that the lines cross, they use standard crossings, but higher traffic areas, its usually on a elevated viaduct. I can see the need for a flyover on that ROW at Haywood Rd, Woodruff Rd, and Verde, but other than that segment, I don't see the need. Anyways, with the widening of Woodruff from Roper Mtn to Laurens, they will tear down that old bridge anyways, so I'd say keep it elevated from just after Industrial to before ICAR.

Actually there is a group looking to purchase and relcate teh tressle that runs over woodruff just off of Laurens Rd. I forget where they want to move it to, but there is a group trying to save it.

I like that old tressle! :thumbsup: Wish it could stay on Woodruff. Reminds of a neat tressle crossing the highway on the way to Aiken (south of Greenwood I believe). Can't remember the name of the town (small town), but they saved the tressle and integrated it into a greenway / walking trail. Obviuosly would great to save this one for future light rail!

Speaking of trestles, I could only imagine what it would be like seeing light rail moving across the trestle over Main Street in Taylors. It reminds me of the T in Pittsburgh.

That trestle is very historic. It used to serve the Piedmont & Northern line, which had some people cars decades ago. CSX actively uses it. I would like to photograph one crossing it. It is one good thing about Taylors.

That trestle is very historic. It used to serve the Piedmont & Northern line, which had some people cars decades ago. CSX actively uses it. I would like to photograph one crossing it. It is one good thing about Taylors.

In a few years that trestle in Taylors will be abbandoned. There are plans in the works now by the city of Greer to ger the CSX line merged with the Norfolk Southern line starting in Taylors and ending in Duncan. This is being done to free up land for development in Downtown Greer. The studies are underway now but these things can take time so it could be as much as 10 years before anything happens. I hope it happens sooner though.

I talked to someone at GDC about this today. CSX and Norfolk Southern have both agreed in Principle sharing the Norfolk Soutern lines (not get the right away but the exsisting track as well) and weather or not this happens has more todo with if Greer can afford it or not. If it happens, which I understand it has a pretty good chance, it would be in like 5-7 years.

Another issue being worked out is who would get the land being freed up, and how that would be handled.

• 1 month later...

The best part about the highspeed line is that it would provide away for me not to have to make that horrible drive to Greenville from Clemson twice a week for my internship.

But at the same time, being able to get from Greenville to Atlanta and Clt so fast would make the sprawl from those cities creep into the upstate much faster than it already is.

So assuming the cost to build this line is about $400M. What options are there locally for coming up with $200M to cover the local portion? Would the state kick in any money?

The state is cash strapped as it is. I predict the creation of a local transit tax district (or the expansion of the current one), as well as muni bonds to pay for it.

Again, tax, tax, tax. If it does come down to this, I also predict local voters will kill it off.

Again, tax, tax, tax. If it does come down to this, I also predict local voters will kill it off.

What is different about the people of the upstate than say the people in Charlotte/Mecklenburg 90 miles away where they did vote for a mass transit sales tax? That tax has made it possible for the city to have started construction of its first light rail line.