Greenville Transit

jarvismj

Ok, thats what I thought. That GTA map is out of date. The Dunean route and the Crosstown route have been cut, and some of the other routes have had minor alterations to better serve the area, particularly around Greenville Tech. This is one of my big problems with GTA. How are people supposed to be able to take the bus, when their own map doesn't accurately reflect the routes!!!!

To their credit, if you go and ride the bus they have individual route maps that are accurate. But in this day and age, you really need accurate online information.

I fail to see the problem. So they went over budget to pay their employees and keep the busses working? Oh the horror. The facts are that GTA has been operating without $2.5 million that it should have been recieving from the City and County over the past 5 years that would have more than covers those expenses. It all comes back to a lack of funding. You can't fault GTA for paying its employees and fixing its busses can you? The City and County need to realize that its their fault for not funding the system. Placing blame on Mrs Dudley is easy, but it really doesn't solve anything in the long run because the system still won't have any money! Get with in Greenville!

• 2 weeks later...

^There was a big GTA meeting of some sort the other day. I'm sure it was related to that in some way.

Is that merely a guess, or do you have hard information to prove that this was related to a GTA meeting in some way? I ask this because ridership is actually up quite a bit, and much higher than in Spartanburg. The transfer station is less than two blocks up the road, and I have witnessed many GTA buses pull out of there with heavy loads before.

Is that merely a guess, or do you have hard information to prove that this was related to a GTA meeting in some way? I ask this because ridership is actually up quite a bit, and much higher than in Spartanburg. The transfer station is less than two blocks up the road, and I have witnessed many GTA buses pull out of there with heavy loads before.

Skyliner, please explain to me what SPARTA's ridership has to do with this discussion. I'm interested to know why you bring up SPARTA, since it isnt relevant here at all and nobody else brought it up.

My statement was speculation due to the fact that I knew of a GTA board meeting that day, and the three busses went by all with full loads of people. It could have very easily been a roving meeting of some sort. You may read my previous post as "I wonder if it was related to the GTA meeting the otherday" if that makes you happy.

-New GTA board member plans to meet with feds over land deal. More info: http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...EWS01/702240338

-Mayor says land deal evidence of poor GTA decision making. More info: http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...EWS01/702240335

-Land dispute adds to tension between city, GTA. More info: http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...EWS01/702240328

All I have to say is what the heck is going on around here? What is wrong with GTA selling land to make money? :dontknow: Thoughts and opinions on this issue?

Edited by g-man430

what future light rail bridge?

They're rebuilding that railroad bridge that goes over Woodruff Road near Laurens Road. The railroad that runs on it is no longer in use and they're rebuilding the bridge there for future light rail service that will begin in the next decade or two.

Edited by g-man430

^^^It was in the Greenville News a couple years ago when they had an article on the Woodruff Rd. widening project and where the old bridge that was located there would move too. They said the old bridge would be moved to some historic site or something. I was quite shocked myself they were going to spend the money to rebuild a bridge that uses a railroad not in commission anymore.

Edited by g-man430

^^^It was in the Greenville News a couple years ago when they had an article on the Woodruff Rd. widening project and where the old bridge that was located there would move too. They said the old bridge would be moved to some historic site or something. I was quite shocked myself they were going to spend the money to rebuild a bridge that uses a railroad not in commission anymore.

So it's just speculation that the bridge is a "future light rail bridge"?

Why would you rebuild a bridge for a light rail system that won't be in use for a decade or two?

Why would you rebuild a bridge for a light rail system that won't be in use for a decade or two?

Probably because they can get money for it now for being a "replacement" than they could in a decade when it is a new build. Just conjecture.

I think the real hot potato land issue for GTA isn't so much the parcel behind West End Field (across from the Children's Theater) but the Transfer Center a block west of Main St. between Washington and McBee. I think the City wants to see that land with a high-rise. They may have already contracted (or promised) a local developer along the lines of Bob Hughes or David Glenn the rights to develop that parcel. I suspect that that's the real estate that the City is eyeing in their effort to take control over the GTA system. Not that that's the exclusive reason. I just think that that's a hot button that helps decisionmakers involved choose sides.

This part of this rail line that goes from 291 to just past the Millennium Campus

has been placed in the U.S. Rail Bank System, as part of this system the entire

length of the line must be connected to a main line R.R. So if the bridge is

not rebuilt the portion from Woodruff rd.to 291, could revert to previous owners

and be sold off and destroyed.

BTW Greenville county owns the section,from Woodruff rd. to I85.

This part of this rail line that goes from 291 to just past the Millennium Campus

has been placed in the U.S. Rail Bank System, as part of this system the entire

length of the line must be connected to a main line R.R. So if the bridge is

not rebuilt the portion from Woodruff rd.to 291, could revert to previous owners

and be sold off and destroyed.

BTW Greenville county owns the section,from Woodruff rd. to I85.

So even if its never used again, they have to have a bridge, just 'in case' they want to keep the land? Weird, but understandable.