Greenville Transit

jarvismj

It would only be amazing in my mind if they would talk about plans for say A REGIONAL line that dont just serve downtown and CU-ICAR and points in between. I dont work at ICAR nor anywhere between here or there. If they want to truly get people out of their cars go where ALL of them go and not just where SOME of them go. I work in Fountain Inn and if I didnt have to drive to work I wouldn't. Maybe the city and county should get together and make this happen instead of always working against each other. The CAT serves Clemson but ya know what Clemson students that I have known go to Anderson to Target and the mall and things like that and ya know CAT GOES THERE, heck they probably even go to Seneca. The other talk about density, I could give a damn how many people per square mile live here I want rapid transit that goes where I go too. People here absolutely can not drive and I despise having to deal with it everyday but since I dont work at ICAR, the Carolina First Center or anywhere between there and downtown I'm left to play Russian roulette everyday... Classic... I know small towns with a better transit system than Greenville even dreams of having.

The CAT serves Clemson but ya know what Clemson students that I have known go to Anderson to Target and the mall and things like that and ya know CAT GOES THERE, heck they probably even go to Seneca.

The CAT actually does serve Seneca, Clemson, Central, Pendleton, and connects to Anderson's buses.

Mauldin needs to step up to the plate as the next city on the BRT line and insist that it continues to their City. Likewise the County, then Simpsonville and Fountain Inn should step up, too. Right now the City of Greenville seems to be the only party running this thing, which is fine, but they can't devise a system that serves the golden strip and beyond with their resources as a city of 27 sq miles and 56,000 people. Someone needs to be proactive, whether it's Greenville, Mauldin, the County, Simpsonville, Greer, or Fountain Inn, to get service for more people.

Greenlink's website: RideGreenLink.com

I like what I'm seeing on there. They have a Green Initiative section that says starting April 1, 2008 ALL of the buses in the fleet will run on Biodiesel. It also has a 'savings calculator' and an example of how many fares one tank of gas at $3.50 for a 20 gallon tank will buy... (56 one-way tickets @ $1.25 apiece). Also from reading some of the other stuff on there, it sounds like they want to make this a 'real' commuting option.

Troubles with current service in my opinion: The latest that any bus run on any given day is 7:30pm (only 3 routes), while the others stop at 6:30pm. And the routes.

Thanks for posting the link to the new website. The new site is a vast improvement! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I have a good feeling about the future of Greenlink. It will take 100's of positive baby steps, but I have a feeling the city is really behind this. I think we can expect a much improved (and successful) system down the road.

One article about the press conference says that "short-term improvements previewed by the city include repairs to vehicles and renovations at the downtown transfer center, while long-term goals include hiring a permanent director, installing bus shelters and possible expansion."

In another article about the press conference, City Manager Jim Bourey says "...in fact, the taxpayers aren't paying anything more. But the investment you do make will be leveraged and be more effective. But in the longterm, additional funding will be needed to expand service and upgrade what we currently have."

GMan copied the Journal Article about the BRT line here, but the BRT line appears to have fallen into the longterm/additional funding portion of the press conference.

I don't expect the city of Greenville to pay for something that connects to the Golden Strip, never have, thats why I said they and the county should start working together I failed to mention however that the other municipalities involved should be pushing this thing as well. You want people to ride this thing though go LRT, I could be wrong but, couldn't you fit more people on a train than a bus? Just a thought.

Edited by gvillenative

LRT would probably be more attractive to people, too. It wouldn't have the bus stigma. For the same reason, I think that's why they're hoping to add BRT on its own right of way with different vehicles. Before we get LRT though, we have to make a case for it. We need to increase riders and prove that we are ready.

LRT would probably be more attractive to people, too. It wouldn't have the bus stigma. For the same reason, I think that's why they're hoping to add BRT on its own right of way with different vehicles. Before we get LRT though, we have to make a case for it. We need to increase riders and prove that we are ready.

Well said. We can view BRT as somewhat of a "trial run" for LRT. It allows us to break-in a cheaper system with a similar philosophy, and if it is successful then a case can be made for LRT. We will be able to use the same right-of-way and simply put the rail line down for LRT, correct?

Well said. We can view BRT as somewhat of a "trial run" for LRT. It allows us to break-in a cheaper system with a similar philosophy, and if it is successful then a case can be made for LRT. We will be able to use the same right-of-way and simply put the rail line down for LRT, correct?

If the case is made (that G'ville can support mass transit) by a successful BRT - then why would you want to switch to LRT? The case being made successfully would mean that the BRT is being used heavily, right? If it's being used and it's working....

If the case is made (that G'ville can support mass transit) by a successful BRT - then why would you want to switch to LRT? The case being made successfully would mean that the BRT is being used heavily, right? If it's being used and it's working....

My thinking is that LRT is more efficient, and a logical step up from BRT. But I suppose if BRT is successful then there is no reason we have to make the switch. :)

My thinking is that LRT is more efficient, and a logical step up from BRT. But I suppose if BRT is successful then there is no reason we have to make the switch. :)

It's all about scalability, folks. BRT is capable of only so many passengers per trip. If BRT got to the point to where the number of passengers and frequency required on the route were not practical, then LRT would be the next logical step.

Lookslike the city has already started facelifting the Downtown Bus Depot. Just drove by there and the parking deck above it is closed off and they were demo'ing some of the existing brick walls up there.

They're renovating the planters. Expect lots of beautifying in this area now that the rich folk are about to move into their S. Laurens condos. Kind of like people that move near the airport and then complain about the noise...they're moving across from the bus station and now want to make sure they never actually have to see the bus station. Hence the new planters (and soon to be trees) everywhere.

Lookslike the city has already started facelifting the Downtown Bus Depot. Just drove by there and the parking deck above it is closed off and they were demo'ing some of the existing brick walls up there.

Wow. That was quick. The city just took control. Good to hear. :thumbsup: I'm expecting good things from the city run Greenlink. Now if they will just get a route to the airport...........

They're renovating the planters. Expect lots of beautifying in this area now that the rich folk are about to move into their S. Laurens condos. Kind of like people that move near the airport and then complain about the noise...they're moving across from the bus station and now want to make sure they never actually have to see the bus station. Hence the new planters (and soon to be trees) everywhere.

You shouldn't have to expect a bus station to look awful. Spartanburg's is a great example of one that is NOT an eyesore. Yea, Laurens Street's beautification probably has a lot to do with the new renovations occurring along that street, but that has come to be expected of any new development downtown. The bus station's renovations have little to do with its new neighbors.

Maybe they'll take time to beautify that fountain on the corner of McBee & Richardson, too. Something a little larger, more elaborate, and sculpture-like would be very nice there, in my humble opinion. I'm not asking for Buckingham Fountain or anything...but something nice that fits on that corner.

Maybe they'll take time to beautify that fountain on the corner of McBee & Richardson, too. Something a little larger, more elaborate, and sculpture-like would be very nice there, in my humble opinion. I'm not asking for Buckingham Fountain or anything...but something nice that fits on that corner.

Agreed on the corner fountain. Maybe something that can rival/play off of the one across the street at the County Bank building. Nothing too elaborate or large that would take away from the view of Downtown Baptist as you look down Richardson Street though.

I noticed this article on the AP today regarding the new SC D.U.I. bill. It reminded me of the news story last week about the number one cause of death of American teens being traffic related.

Have you ever thought about the cost of all the legislation, law enforcement, prison, loss of contribution to society due to imprisonment, court costs, court appointed attorney costs, loss of life costs associated with D.U.I.'s, uninsured motorists, speeding, reckless driving, and all that could be saved if we had adequate and reliable mass transit? Law enforcement could just say "caught once and lose your license for 10 yrs. etc." - ride the bus.

Europe has more drinking and underage drinking and many fewer D.U.I. issues.

We encourage our uninsured, drunk, stupid, old, and otherwise impaired to drive by giving them no alternative.

I don't know how to put a price on human life, but it seems like someone could put a price on some of the rest of it and give us a choice. Should we continue widening the roads or build a real transportation system?

Edited by greenvillegrows

I noticed this article on the AP today regarding the new SC D.U.I. bill. It reminded me of the news story last week about the number one cause of death of American teens being traffic related.

Have you ever thought about the cost of all the legislation, law enforcement, prison, loss of contribution to society due to imprisonment, court costs, court appointed attorney costs, loss of life costs associated with D.U.I.'s, uninsured motorists, speeding, reckless driving, and all that could be saved if we had adequate and reliable mass transit? Law enforcement could just say "caught once and lose your license for 10 yrs. etc." - ride the bus.

Europe has more drinking and underage drinking and many fewer D.U.I. issues.

We encourage our uninsured, drunk, stupid, old, and otherwise impaired to drive by giving them no alternative.

I don't know how to put a price on human life, but it seems like someone could put a price on some of the rest of it and give us a choice. Should we continue widening the roads or build a real transportation system?

Well.... Since you put it that way...

Seriously - I agree with you 100%. We've live in one great nation and, to me, it's a weakness rather than a show of strength to spend so much on highways, cars, fuel, and other associated costs (including the ones you've mentioned) rather than to invest it in wide-spread, efficient, and affordable mass transit. I loathe getting into my car and driving into downtown or anywhere else at times - especially when I can in my own mind envision riding my bike to LRT station or bus stop near my home and hopping on something of that nature to get into and around town.

I still think the current bus station location is a bad waste of a good DT space, that should be developed for more urban type projects. Put a new bus depot somewhere else DT. Also, I really think a ton of new routes would need to be added, with increased frequency for ridership to ever take off. As others have said, most people will only use it if "it goes where you want and need it to go." Otherwise it is useless. Right now Gvilles bus system has an unbelievably pathetic 13 routes. By contrast, Atlanta's system (admittedly a much larger area of course) has almost 200 routes (and I daresay more frequent ones). Right now, GSA is about 1/4 the size of Metro Atlanta. That means we should have roughly 50 routes to serve our area to acheive the same efficiency.

Edited by distortedlogic

I still think the current bus station location is a bad waste of a good DT space, that should be developed for more urban type projects. Put a new bus depot somewhere else DT. Also, I really think a ton of new routes would need to be added, with increased frequency for ridership to ever take off. As others have said, most people will only use it if "it goes where you want and need it to go." Otherwise it is useless. Right now Gvilles bus system has an unbelievably pathetic 13 routes. By contrast, Atlanta's system (admittedly a much larger area of course) has almost 200 routes (and I daresay more frequent ones). Right now, GSA is about 1/4 the size of Metro Atlanta. That means we should have roughly 50 routes to serve our area to acheive the same efficiency.

GTA or Greenlink as it is now called does not serve all of GSA. To be closer to apples-to-apples, you would have to include the Anderson and Spartanburg system, at a minimum.

I still think the current bus station location is a bad waste of a good DT space, that should be developed for more urban type projects. Put a new bus depot somewhere else DT.

My vote doesn't count, but I still think the area next to the tracks along the right field wall at Fluor Field would make a great location for a bus/rail depot for GreenLink.