Greenville Transit

jarvismj

Interesting article about the possible use of stimulus funds to start a Simpsonville/Mauldin/Downtown Greenville route for Greenlink. This is good to see. Now if we could just get a Greenlink route to the airport.

Article from GV News:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20.../904290312/1071

This is wonderful news! Any discussion in this direction is a good move. If we can get longer distance commuting routes, such as this, we can start to build our case for the BRT line. :thumbsup:

This is wonderful news! Any discussion in this direction is a good move. If we can get longer distance commuting routes, such as this, we can start to build our case for the BRT line. :thumbsup:

Agreed.

I hope park-n-ride is a serious part of this plan. I also hope Greenlink is smart enough to follow the traffic flow.....multiple morning inbound and multiple evening outbound.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been trying to think of ways to connect the many nodes that can make up one's experience with downtown Greenville. This seems increasingly important as Greenville tries to not only make its own citizens aware of the possibilities in-town, but also as Greenville seeks to increase its tourism numbers. There's lots of great offerings, for sure. It's a matter of helping people get there and simply enticing them to check them out...

Here's what I see as important things for visitors and locals to discover:

--Heritage Green: There's so many great offerings for those culturally minded people and art supporters, including: Greenville County Museum of Art, the Children's Museum, Upcountry History Museum, Greenville County Main Library, Bob Jones Museum & Gallery, and the Greenville Little Theater.

--West Greenville's Pendleton St Arts District: While this area has only recently begun to emerge as its new identity, it's holding its own in the Greenville arts community. The concentration of art galleries makes art shopping and browsing easy. There's no doubt that this area will continue to reinvent itself and grow. I think better linkage can definitely play a part in its revitalization.

--Historic Lewis Plaza: This area is a lot of fun to enjoy. The buildings' styles, layouts, etc immediate take you back to a different day and time in Greenville's past. It's an icon for many in the Greenville area, and I think that a good solid connection to downtown could bring back that feel of Augusta Street's old shopping district. Perhaps we could see an emergence of the type retail establishments that sustained this vibrant community many decades ago...

I think a creation of two lines of either buses, street car systems, or trolleys could help bring all of this together to create one urban destination experience. An artist/cultural line could easily be run to connect Heritage Green, West Greenville's Pendleton Street, the West End, and the Peace Center. Another line could be run to connect Reedy Square directly, West End at Main Street, Historic Lewis Plaza, McDaniel Avenue, Sirrine Stadium, Chamber of Commerce, and McBee Station.

3547945588_485a505ea5_o.jpg

Anyway, obviously this is just a thought on how to create a seamless experience of all of Greenville's urban nodes around downtown. I think it has the opportunity to improve the experience of patrons to any of these nodes, possibly act as a commuting device for some, and ultimately change the way many Greenvillians view mass transportation (which is a part of the reason I think it may should be some form other than bus transit to run such lines, though still through Greenlink). All of these areas offer events throughout the year (Shaggin' on Augusta, Fall for Greenville, Artisphere, Art events in West Greenville, and cultural events at Heritage Green, etc), so why not offer people the opportunity to spend more time out and about. For one, it'd relieve parking issues with Shaggin' on Augusta, but also give people the option of eating downtown and not driving to the event.

Thoughts, ideas, discussion?

The new bus shelter is now up. Check it out. I love the fact that the lights are being powered by a solar panel that is attached to the shelter.

A couple of photos. Looks like there is still some detail to do (addition of map in blank space....basic landscaping...etc). Overall I like them. I would have rather seen a slightly more clean design, but the detail level is excellent......solar power, the Greenlink website, the fact that the colors are the green and purple in keeping with the city signing / wayfinder system. Overall, these should be an excellent addition to the city. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

IMG_5397.jpg

IMG_5398.jpg

I agree with you about the design could have been a little cleaner. The roof bothers me a little bit in its connection to the purple band, but overall I think it will be a great addition to the City. This is much better than the original proposed barrel vault design. :shades:

Slowly we're seeing the elements of the bus system's re-invention of itself showing, and I think it's good.

I just noticed this in the picture... is that the city's "g" stamped into the concrete under the shelter? Check out the second photo for the detail. Among the many things that Greenville is good at, branding is definitely a strong point. :shades:

Yes it is. Another shelter has gone up on Augusta Street in front of the Scott Towers. The first 25 shelters should be going up over the next several months.

Edited by citylife

Here's hoping people will actually use them.

I hope so too. :thumbsup:

I must give the city credit....they are making the right steps with the transit system to gain ridership. They still though, MUST make the transit system a system that works for all Greenvillians, not just the elderly going to the doctor, or those without a car going to the grocery store. Greenlink really needs to start targeting the middle class. Get a line to the airport as an alternative to driving, and I'll ride.

Does anyone know how much money Greenlink will spend putting up these sheltors / annual maintenance costs?

Here's hoping people will actually use them.

Not sure about maintenance costs, but the shelters themselves were funded 80% by the federal government and 20% by the city of Greenville. The solar powered lights should help keep maintenance costs lower.

I hope so too. :thumbsup:

I must give the city credit....they are making the right steps with the transit system to gain ridership. They still though, MUST make the transit system a system that works for all Greenvillians, not just the elderly going to the doctor, or those without a car going to the grocery store. Greenlink really needs to start targeting the middle class. Get a line to the airport as an alternative to driving, and I'll ride.

Agreed. What do you think SHOULD come first: frequency of buses on current routes, or expand the routes? Ideally, both at the same time, sure. :silly:

Obviously an airport route doesn't need to be too frequent, as the airport is only so busy and people will have most likely planned ahead for such travel. However, for commuting and such, I'm not sure expanded routes will capture that many more riders if they only run a lousy once an hour schedule... The middle class has the luxury to NOT waste time waiting on the bus. So, to capture them, you must minimize waiting times, IMO. --which, to serve the middle class, you'll most likely have to expand the routes, so it seems the answer really is both: expand and increase frequency simultaneously, if possible.

I think the BRT route is a most important first step. My parents, who are very pro-car and ease-of-use kind of people, have expressed interest in using the BRT line for nights spent downtown. Of course, this means hours could be a problem if Greenlink continues to use a day only policy for its routes. I assume it would be addressed when it comes time...

Oops. I meant to say 2010/2011 budget. :blush: Sorry about that. Information on budget for those years from pdf file:

Dear Chairman Kirven and Members of County Council:

I am pleased to present Greenville County’s biennium budget for Fiscal Year 2010 and Fiscal Year 2011. This document provides the financial structure for the programs and services which Greenville County government will be undertaking over the next two years. The budget provides the resources needed to ensure the delivery of governmental services in a fiscally responsible manner. This budget is a continuation of the financially sound practices Greenville County government has established and embraced.

BUDGET PROCESS

The two-year budget process will be similar to the process in prior years. Budget workshops are proposed to review the budget with County Council. The proposed dates are May 21, 2009 and May 28, 2009. In order to comply with section 4-9-140 of the State Code, a staggered ordinance adoption process will be followed. As in previous years, the budget ordinances will be reviewed concurrently. First reading is scheduled for May 19, 2009 and second reading for June 2, 2009. The public hearing for both budget ordinances is scheduled for June 16, 2009. The third reading for the fiscal year 2010 budget is scheduled for June 16, 2009. The third reading for the fiscal year 2011 budget is scheduled for August 4, 2009.

Edited by citylife

This is completely unrelated to transit. I briefly glanced at the budget document and it caught my eye. It says Greenville County's FY 2010 budget is $197 million. Is this the total budget for FY 2010 or only some kind of supplement?

I ask because where I am, Guilford County (Greensboro), and Greenville County have similar population numbers and land area. But the FY 2010 proposed budget for Guilford County is $585 million.

If the Greenville number is the whole budget, can someone explain to me why? Does the county have a low property tax or does it not provide some services?

I'd like to know so I can suggest Guilford County put the other $390 million towards light rail! :rolleyes:

Congrats on the extra county funding though. It's a good step forward.