Greenville Transit

jarvismj

This is an older topic that I have not seen discussed here (sorry if it is just me) but, I have seen some talk about instituting a sales tax to fund transit in Greenville, would that pass the voters in Greenville? Any thoughts? Do people in Greenville want more transit? Also, I saw where the plans were to extend lines west and not towards Spartanburg, why would transit not connect the two largest counties in the upstate?

There is a plan to put a half or one cent sales tax on the Greenville County ballot in 2012 to implement bus rapid transit service from downtown Greenville west to Clemson, north to Travelers Rest, south to Simpsonville and east to GSP Airport. Sadly with the deficit and Greenville being a strongly conservative county, I doubt it will pass.

Edited by citylife

There is a plan to put a half or one cent sales tax on the Greenville County ballot in 2012 to implement bus rapid transit service from downtown Greenville west to Clemson, north to Travelers Rest, south to Simpsonville and east to GSP Airport. Sadly with the deficit and Greenville being a strongly conservative county, I doubt it will pass.

I order to have any chance of passing, the referendum would need to include some combination of more 'popular' items like highway construction, recreation, green space, etc. Charleston passed either a 1/2 cent or whole cent for transit/green space/road construction. Charleston is much less conservative, though.

I order to have any chance of passing, the referendum would need to include some combination of more 'popular' items like highway construction, recreation, green space, etc. Charleston passed either a 1/2 cent or whole cent for transit/green space/road construction. Charleston is much less conservative, though.

Agreed. Plus Greenville's traffic isn't THAT bad. Try the approach to the Lincoln Tunnel in New Jersey if you want to see nightmarish traffic, or even some of the Providence Road hassles in Charlotte- that's what convinced Republican suburbanites there to support transit.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Greenlink, Greenville’s bus system, was awarded for being the “most improved transit provider” by a state transportation group, a spokesman said.

Carl Jackson, Greenville’s transportation director, said Greenlink was honored at the Transportation Association of South Carolina meeting last month in Myrtle Beach.

“Greenlink’s success over the past year is the result of a team effort, and I’m particularly happy for the Greenlink staff,” he said in a prepared statement.

State, local and federal transportation employees attended the banquet and conference.

Greenlink general manager Sheila Schmitt and co-worker Greg Baney, who handles grants/planning accepted the award on behalf of the city, said Jackson. Pat Dilger, who serves on the bus system’s board of directors, also attended.

The conference offered training, marketing tips, strategies on alternative fuel, and insight on “combining bike, pedestrian and transit ridership,” said Jackson.

Greenlink just started bus service to a12.5 mile trek between St. Francis Hospital and the International Center for Automotive Research. Last year, ridership was up an estimated 100,000 to 750,000, Greenlink officials say.

From Greenville News ^

Things certainly have improved since the city took over. Congrats to everyone at Greenlink.

• 1 month later...

I've seen a blue Proterra bus driving around town a few times now with "TRY TRANSIT" written on their screen. Anyone know what's up with this?

Also, witnessed the ICAR Greenlink service today dropping several people off at Verdae Village. It's nice to see it being used!

• 1 month later...

Simpsonville City Council voted to move forward on Greenlink’s proposal to extend bus routes to the city.

Greenlink will purchase three buses and set up bus stops and shelters, with funds from a federal stimulus grant.

More info: Simpsonville moving forward with buses {sodEmoji.|} The Greenville News {sodEmoji.|} GreenvilleOnline.com

Simpsonville City Council voted to move forward on Greenlink’s proposal to extend bus routes to the city.

Greenlink will purchase three buses and set up bus stops and shelters, with funds from a federal stimulus grant.

More info: Simpsonville moving forward with buses {sodEmoji.|} The Greenville News {sodEmoji.|} GreenvilleOnline.com

This is AWESOME to see happening! So, will the routes simply bypass Mauldin?

This is AWESOME to see happening! So, will the routes simply bypass Mauldin?

According to a July 8 article in Greenville News that anticipated this meeting, "Mauldin is on board for the new service and it’s now up to Simpsonville City Council to decide whether the route will stretch to its main thoroughfares on North East Main Street and Fairview Road." Strangely, however, this morning's article reported: "Greenlink is still waiting on Mauldin’s decision, said Gregory Baney, Greenlink bus system’s manager of transit planning." I guess we just stay tuned and wait.

According to a July 8 article in Greenville News that anticipated this meeting, "Mauldin is on board for the new service and it’s now up to Simpsonville City Council to decide whether the route will stretch to its main thoroughfares on North East Main Street and Fairview Road." Strangely, however, this morning's article reported: "Greenlink is still waiting on Mauldin’s decision, said Gregory Baney, Greenlink bus system’s manager of transit planning." I guess we just stay tuned and wait.

Interesting...

• 3 weeks later...

The ARRA funded seven new 35-foot buses for Greenlink's fleet. The new vehicles will continue to assist Greenlink in reaching its goals, including more reliable service.

Greenlink’s on-time performance now exceeds 90% and ridership and revenue have increased by an average of 7% over the past two years. "Adding seven new buses will go a long way to further the quality of transit services delivered to the community," said Jackson.

• 3 months later...

From the Greenville News:

As city and county officials recently dedicated the $1.4 million upfit of Greenlink’s Transfer Center, Mayor Knox White signaled that the bus system seems to be turning a corner after years of struggle

“It’s a great renaissance,” he said at the Transfer Center downtown on West McBee Street

The city began running the bus system two years ago, and Greenlink is showing signs of stability — both in terms of providing service and its finances, White said He credited Greenville Transit Authority board Chairman David Mitchell and Karl Jackson, who the city hired to manage public transportation and parking We have the strongest and best board in the history of the GTA,” White said

General manager Shelia Schmitt is in charge of the the daily operation, including the 10 bus routes that run mostly from Monday to Saturday from 5:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m

A renewed Transfer Center helps the system’s image, White said. “This station was emblematic of GTA itself,” he said. “This station was dark, dreary. The new group acquired $1.4 million in grants from the Federal Transit Authority for the upfit. There was a 20 percent local match. Schmitt has predicted that ridership will be up 40,000 to 50,000, after a jump for 100,000 riders for 2009-2010.

“We’re dependable. People can count on us,” she said. “They’re pretty good about that,” said Brandon Williams, 24, of Greenville, who takes the bus daily to work. He said he wished that Greenlink supplied a bus that could take him to “Simpsonville, Mauldin and Fountain Inn.”. “And it would be good if they ran on Sunday.

Greenville County Councilman Fred Payne said he hopes that preliminary plans are given the approval for Greenlink to travel to the three cities that Williams wants. He said if metro Greenville is to grow economically that the bus system will need to expand.

Doug Frate, director of the Office of Public Transit, a division of the state Department of Transportation, saluted Greenlink. “You can’t have a successful transit system without a dedicated staff,” he said. Greenlink received a most improved award for its performance for 2009-2010 said there some money in the $1.4 million left unspent. Now that Phase I & II are completed, Greenlink managers are discussing with Neal Prince/LS3P Architects about a possible Phase III

Edited by vicupstate

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

IMG_5398.jpg

This photo was posted over 3 years ago in May 2009. Three years later (7 years in Greenville time)....is this bus shelter project finished yet? Obviously not.

Tonight on East North, I noticed one of the older generation shelters still standing....glass broken out, no signing or maps, weeds growing around it. Standing there in all its beauty, immediately beside the street.

Way to go Greenville.....way to get a project done. :yawn:

This photo was posted over 3 years ago in May 2009. Three years later (7 years in Greenville time)....is this bus shelter project finished yet? Obviously not.

Tonight on East North, I noticed one of the older generation shelters still standing....glass broken out, no signing or maps, weeds growing around it. Standing there in all its beauty, immediately beside the street.

Way to go Greenville.....way to get a project done. :yawn:

I don't know if I ever knew there was a timetable to have every bus stop sheltered. I thought there was some strategic plan that studied which stops most needed shelters because of use, etc. Anyone know?

I don't know if I ever knew there was a timetable to have every bus stop sheltered. I thought there was some strategic plan that studied which stops most needed shelters because of use, etc. Anyone know?

That's OK if every bus stop is not getting sheltered, but at least in three years the city could replace the old ones that have shattered glass, grafitti, no signage, weeds growing, etc. The one I saw on East North is an embarrassment. No excuse that it has not been replaced after this project being around for 3 plus years. I'll snap a photo and add it to Photo of the Day. It isn't pretty. The kind of thing Greenville is just letting slip through the cracks lately.

I have a feeling this is gsupstate reincarnated. Notice he hasn't posted recently.

Yes. You do know you can change your ID in your profile once a year. No reincarnation here, just didn't want "upstate" in my name. Still me.

So, as per the topic, do you have any info on the transit shelters, scgubers?

Edited by gs3

• 1 month later...

^^^So, based on the route, I assume that this will take the place of the St. Francis/CU-ICAR Shuttle?

Possibly not - it doesn't transport people between ICAR and the Candlewood Apts. But if the free shuttle utilization numbers were too low, there would be no reason to continue it.