Greenville Transit

jarvismj

All these Greenlink little tiny changes and still no route to GSP for the business community? Sad.

Must smile as I step off DART rail at Mockingbird Station, up the escalator for a latte and an art flick at the Angelika.

GSP bus service to start in July 2014.

• 2 weeks later...

The Greenlink bus service has taken another step toward creating a regional mass transit system for the Upstate by establishing a new route between Greenville and Clemson.

The hourly service starts Sept. 9 and will operate Monday through Friday between 6 a.m. and 11 p.m., said Mark Rickards, Greenlink director.

The Greenlink bus service has taken another step toward creating a regional mass transit system for the Upstate by establishing a new route between Greenville and Clemson.

The hourly service starts Sept. 9 and will operate Monday through Friday between 6 a.m. and 11 p.m., said Mark Rickards, Greenlink director.

Too bad it doesnt run Saturday on gamedays. Would be great to go watch Clemson play, go out in Clemson, and ride the bus back around midnight when bars close there.

I see that the bus fare between Greenville and Clemson will be $1.50 each way.

That's amazingly cheap- much cheaper than driving.

For game days, would people be willing to walk from the stadium to the Clemson train station?  If so, I'd think that someone like the Lancaster & Chester RR, which has a fleet of private railcars, could work with Norfolk Southern to start ferry service between Clemson and Greenville by train for those days to beat the traffic.

I see that the bus fare between Greenville and Clemson will be $1.50 each way.

That's amazingly cheap- much cheaper than driving.

For game days, would people be willing to walk from the stadium to the Clemson train station? If so, I'd think that someone like the Lancaster & Chester RR, which has a fleet of private railcars, could work with Norfolk Southern to start ferry service between Clemson and Greenville by train for those days to beat the traffic.

People walk that far anyway on a gameday. I think people would walk it.

• 4 weeks later...

A new Greenlink bus route connecting Greenville and Clemson that began last week will service two stops in Easley along U.S. 123 in what a leader called a “historic regional connection.”

One stop will be in the area of the Town ‘n Country shopping center and Lowe’s, and the other will be around Walmart at the Easley Town Center, said Steve Chastain, manager of transit operations with Greenlink.

Chastain said signs for the stops were expected to go up last week, and service to the stops was to start by sometime this week.

Greyhound's new neighbors aren't happy about about living nearby. “People are getting stopped when they pass the bus station. They've been asked for phones. They've been asked for money."

http://www.wyff4.com/news/local-news/greenville-news/neighborhood-fights-to-move-greyhound-terminal-out/-/9654794/22010922/-/1juvuhz/-/index.html

• Like 1

Greyhound's new neighbors aren't happy about about living nearby. “People are getting stopped when they pass the bus station. They've been asked for phones. They've been asked for money."

http://www.wyff4.com/news/local-news/greenville-news/neighborhood-fights-to-move-greyhound-terminal-out/-/9654794/22010922/-/1juvuhz/-/index.html

Who thought Woodruff Road was a good place to have a Greyhound bus station?  I thought it was almost a requirement to have such bus stations in a bad part of town.  I hope that we don't start seeing homeless/drunk/high people wandering along Woodruff Road with nowhere to go.

I simply don't understand this. Greyhound WAS in the same facility as the Greenlink transfer station, which makes perfect (seamless connection) sense. Now, to be on Woodruff? Crazy. I feel for the people in the community by the station......quite sure their property value will drop. Another 5 to 10 years and Woodruff will be a trashed area......Greyhound station, gun range, Goodwill....just need a few more payday lending stores, nail salons and a Church's chicken to make the conversion complete.

I simply don't understand this. Greyhound WAS in the same facility as the Greenlink transfer station, which makes perfect (seamless connection) sense. Now, to be on Woodruff? Crazy. I feel for the people in the community by the station......quite sure their property value will drop. Another 5 to 10 years and Woodruff will be a trashed area......Greyhound station, gun range, Goodwill....just need a few more payday lending stores, nail salons and a Church's chicken to make the conversion complete.

I agree.  Not even 10 years ago, we were talking about The Point (upscale, urban town center development) as well as Magnolia Park (also with upscale tenants).  Now The Point is a distant memory, and Magnolia Park has been revised 14 times with downgraded plans.  The Woodruff Road corridor is at a crossroads, for sure.  Will it capitalize on the positives like Costco, Whole Foods, REI, and Cabela's, or move toward gun ranges, Goodwill, and a Greyhound station?

Regarding Greyhound, surely this is part of a bigger plan that we can't see yet.  I can't imagine that this is a permanent solution.  Perhaps some sort of multi-modal transit center is planned for the urban core in the near future?

Edited by Greenville

Who thought Woodruff Road was a good place to have a Greyhound bus station?  I thought it was almost a requirement to have such bus stations in a bad part of town.  I hope that we don't start seeing homeless/drunk/high people wandering along Woodruff Road with nowhere to go.

It was Greyhounds idea.  They choose not to renew their lease DT, and wanted to be closer to the interstate.  Frankly, I'm glad the burbs finally have to deal with these issues for once instead of the urban core.

Who thought Woodruff Road was a good place to have a Greyhound bus station? I thought it was almost a requirement to have such bus stations in a bad part of town. I hope that we don't start seeing homeless/drunk/high people wandering along Woodruff Road with nowhere to go.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I saw about 6 homeless guys standing under the Woodruff road bridge that crosses over I385. Right at the top corner where the hill meets the underside of the structure.

It was Greyhounds idea.  They choose not to renew their lease DT, and wanted to be closer to the interstate.  Frankly, I'm glad the burbs finally have to deal with these issues for once instead of the urban core.

It was my understanding that Greenville Transit failed to renew the Greyhound lease because they wanted to take over the office space that Greyhound had been using, thus giving Greyhound no option but to move elsewhere.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I saw about 6 homeless guys standing under the Woodruff road bridge that crosses over I385. Right at the top corner where the hill meets the underside of the structure.

There have been homeless in that area for several years. I know that some have been camping out in the thicket in the corner of the Merovan property adjacent to the off ramp from I-385 northbound, and it wouldn't surprise me to learn that others have been residing in other woodsy areas or under the bridge.

It was my understanding that Greenville Transit failed to renew the Greyhound lease because they wanted to take over the office space that Greyhound had been using, thus giving Greyhound no option but to move elsewhere.

There have been homeless in that area for several years. I know that some have been camping out in the thicket in the corner of the Merovan property adjacent to the off ramp from I-385 northbound, and it wouldn't surprise me to learn that others have been residing in other woodsy areas or under the bridge.

Not like this. I pass it daily and this is the first for me.

• 3 weeks later...

County Councilor Fred Payne stated that two experts on riderless vehicles came to Greenville in July. They brought some exciting new dimensions to the potential for electric personal owned and manned driverless transportation. They have a Department of Defense funded testing at Fort Bragg, NC under what the Army refers to as an ARIBO (Automated Robotic Installation Based Operations). These vehicles are being used by the military to take wounded warriors from a residence to a hospital and back. If a soldier misses a visit to a hospital, it costs the Army $2,500 to reschedule the visit. Ultimately, they are looking at having driverless vehicles on the ground the way drones operate in the air where they become a tactical battlefield ultimate vehicle. They have one at NASA they expect to be funded in 2014. They contacted Greenville County Council and stated they wanted Greenville to be a demonstration site for a commercialized operation. It would be on the GCEDC right of way. They want it to end at CUICAR because they are a research university. They did not know Proterra was headquartered in Greenville. Proterra may be able to assist them with a bus project in Ft. Wood. The projects are at three levels:

1. Research and Development Projects that would focus on CUICAR and SCTASC. They would be federally funded (possibly Ft. Bragg, NASA or another project). They are looking for federal funding (DOE, FTA, etc.) for funding this EPOD Project on our route. A driverless vehicle cannot operate on a public road in the state of SC. We would have to get SDOT approval to start with on a limited number of roads such Millennium Drive or Verdae. Neighborhood electric vehicles such as golf carts are street legal. 

2. Federally Funded Project that could be funded by the FTA, Department of Energy, etc.)

3. Multimodal Transportation Corridor Project between downtown Greenville and CUICAR.

The first phase would be a bicycle path (southern Swamp Rabbit Trail) where a route way would be cleared from Millennium Drive to Verdae. A neighborhood electric vehicle being driven by a person can cross Millennium Drive and go down Verdae as a street legal vehicle. The driverless vehicles cannot go on public road without permission. County Council has made one exploratory visit with a proposal to a local funding agency. Their response was that they want more details on how this will be done, and they want it to be a project they can do within a year. If it happens, they hope to have multimodal along this strip. There is a possibility for a multimodal bus stop coming off Laurens Road to pick up people who want to go longer distances along current route ways. Ortec Racing in Simpsonville is interested in making prototype electrical vehicles. They are looking at a 12-foot lane. If there is a huge demand, another vehicle can be added.

• 2 weeks later...

Great to see this collaboration: http://www.greenvilleroadwarriors.com/road-warriors-greenlink-openingnight

Greenlink and the Greenville Road Warriors are offering BUY ONE GET ONE FREE vouchers for October 25’s Opening Night game. The vouchers will be available on all Greenlink buses on October 23 and October 24, and on October 25 until 5 p.m. Greenlink passengers can redeem their vouchers at the Bon Secours Wellness Arena Box Office. The vouchers are only valid for the Road Warriors October 25 game and cannot be combined with other special offers.

Edited by gman430

• 9 months later...