Greenville Transit

jarvismj

Yes because being pessimistic always gets things done. :rolleyes: Unlike you, I am going to be optimistic and say it will happen. :)

There is basically no way for it to be financially stable. The one example in the US works for its on a college campus. Unless 50,000 move to within a 1/4 of the route within 5 years, there is no way this will be built. 

There is basically no way for it to be financially stable. The one example in the US works for its on a college campus. Unless 50,000 move to within a 1/4 of the route within 5 years, there is no way this will be built.

What if you have investors though that are willing to finance it? Who's to say it won't be financially stable after its built?

I'd use it if it could take me from downtown to Greenridge, etc on Woodruff. I'd use it to commute if it were a reasonable price and easy enough access to take me from the West End to the north side of the City Center- it's a 30 minute walk for me now... But yes, the routes and station locations are critical, as is the zoning and development around the stations.

I am skeptical about this as well and leaning on the side of "I hope this doesnt get built".  I can't figure out the problem it is trying to solve and how it could be financially feasible, there are other places money could be better spent IMHO.  I dont think there are enough people that need to use it and there are much better low tech solutions if there are that are more cost effective.  How about we just pave some roads around here instead?

I am skeptical about this as well and leaning on the side of "I hope this doesnt get built". I can't figure out the problem it is trying to solve and how it could be financially feasible, there are other places money could be better spent IMHO. I dont think there are enough people that need to use it and there are much better low tech solutions if there are that are more cost effective. How about we just pave some roads around here instead?

If it is privately financed (like the RFP requested) I have no issue with this and don't see why anyone else would either. This isn't coming from road funds so I don't understand paving roads comment.

If it is privately financed (like the RFP requested) I have no issue with this and don't see why anyone else would either. This isn't coming from road funds so I don't understand paving roads comment.

Okay, so its privately funded then forget the paved roads comment, well, unless we can talk them out of funding this thing and making a check out for paving roads instead :-)    It's still weird and I dont think we have the population density to support support it. I guess it would be nice for novelty's sake.  Who has to pay for dismantling it should it go belly up?

Okay, so its privately funded then forget the paved roads comment, well, unless we can talk them out of funding this thing and making a check out for paving roads instead :-) It's still weird and I dont think we have the population density to support support it. I guess it would be nice for novelty's sake. Who has to pay for dismantling it should it go belly up?

I was wondering about that too... Maybe they should put in the agreement that there be a contingency fund for the future in case it fails. I would want a random elevated track to be there for years if it failed to succeed.

I would really love to see this succeed, but I also remember the infamous Southern Connector (toll portion of I-185), with its public-private partnership and promises of "if we build it they will come," which ended up in default after roughly a year and an eventual bankruptcy along with huge losses taken by investors. Yes, I know, apples and oranges, but those who fail to study history are bound to repeat it, and once bitten, twice shy...

The panel’s letter to Lester says his proposal states that Taxi 2000 “has engaged Metropolitan Financial Resources, Inc. and Simmons Company to procure 100% private financing” for the project.

“Each firm has provided a letter outlining the interest they received from financial institutions to provide financing for the Greenville SkyWeb Express ATN system,” the panel’s letter says.

Edited by gman430

Anything similar to the former McChesney development proposal (basically a secondary downtown) along Woodruff Road / Laurens Road / I-85 would create the cluster of urban density needed to adequately support a rapid mass transit system between the interstate highway and downtown. Unfortunately, development along Woodruff Road is spread out and not sustainable for heavy pedestrian activity. How many terminals and/or shuttles would be needed to efficiently transfer pedestrians from Whole Foods or World Market to Trader Joes or Costco? Downtown is urban enough to need only one terminal if it has easy access to/from Main Street.

Downtown is urban enough to need only one terminal if it has easy access to/from Main Street.

To what part of Main Street? I disagree on only one downtown station being necessary. You're not going to see people eager to walk over a mile from a location near Coffee Street to Fluor Field. A station in the North End, a City Center station, and a West End station would better serve our urban layout IMO.

To what part of Main Street? I disagree on only one downtown station being necessary. You're not going to see people eager to walk over a mile from a location near Coffee Street to Fluor Field. A station in the North End, a City Center station, and a West End station would better serve our urban layout IMO.

This may be where the trolley comes into play.

Multiple terminals are not necessary in downtown because pedestrians can walk or push a wheelchair almost anywhere fairly easily, and if walking is too difficult, bicycle rentals, free trolleys, and taxicabs offer reasonable alternatives. For most people, walking is affordable, healthy, and safe if the environment has been arranged to safely accomodate pedestrians.

Multiple terminals are not necessary in downtown because pedestrians can walk or push a wheelchair almost anywhere fairly easily, and if walking is too difficult, bicycle rentals, free trolleys, and taxicabs offer reasonable alternatives. For most people, walking is affordable, healthy, and safe if the environment has been arranged to safely accomodate pedestrians.

While this is true, there's also lots of published research on distances that people are willing to walk. People would be willing to walk further in a great pedestrian environment like downtown Greenville, but reality is that there are limits.