Greenville Transit

jarvismj

Since this relocation is now actually pretty firm on the horizon, I hope some serious discussions take place with the adjoining property owners. Centennial and Timberland Capital both have large parcels adjoining the Transit property.  The entire triangle between Main, Augusta and the RR tracks could easily be the next ONE or Camperdown project if either one were combined with the GTA parcel. 

The Gather GVL project might should do a recalculation too. as it is completely surrounded by the transit property. Perhaps a land swap to eliminate that impediment factor should be considered before they start on the construction for that.      

9 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

Since this relocation is now actually pretty firm on the horizon, I hope some serious discussions take place with the adjoining property owners. Centennial and Timberland Capital both have large parcels adjoining the Transit property.  The entire triangle between Main, Augusta and the RR tracks could easily be the next ONE or Camperdown project if either one were combined with the GTA parcel. 

The Gather GVL project might should do a recalculation too. as it is completely surrounded by the transit property. Perhaps a land swap to eliminate that impediment factor should be considered before they start on the construction for that.      

I've always thought that the open lot on Main and Wardlaw would of been a great location for Gather GVL.  That would probably generate a lot activity in the area. It's current location just isn't connected well to Main Street and the ballpark. I still expect it will do well on Augusta though.

• 5 weeks later...

This is just a random thought and I wanted to toss it out there. I was looking at the GreenLink Route map and noticed that there don't seem to be many transfer points between routes. This forces people tor ride for longer back into downtown to transfer. Would it not make more sense to have multiple overlaps on the bus routes with decent shelters in those locations to allow people to move more freely around the bus system? 

• 1 month later...

The cost of putting in a railed system along main street would be my biggest issue...not to mention they would have to rip up the length of main street to put in the rails.  Increasing service and limiting other traffic on Main St. during busy times would be a better option..but its just my opinion. Also, btoy is right, the current set up allows for far more flexibility as downtown grows and develops. 

27 minutes ago, sptgguy said:

Maybe that pod system idea can be revived.

The updated article says it’s for this. It would connect downtown Mauldin to downtown Greenville if built. This money is being used to conduct a study to see if the system would be viable.

Edited by gman430

19 minutes ago, sptgguy said:

I can't see how it wouldn't be viable especially if they set up as a park and ride with a terminal in Mauldin, a station and parking in I-Car, and maybe some express bus routes feeding into it for Haywood Rd and Woodruff Rd

Is traffic bad enough and parking expensive enough for people to give up their cars/flexibility for a portion of their commute? I don't know.  I certainly want to see it happen, and would welcome the density it could help ignite along the line. But, people have to be willing.  

1 hour ago, GvilleSC said:

Is traffic bad enough and parking expensive enough for people to give up their cars/flexibility for a portion of their commute? I don't know.  I certainly want to see it happen, and would welcome the density it could help ignite along the line. But, people have to be willing.  

I think that the people who are commuting from Mauldin/Simponsville/Ft. Inn probably spend more time driving than they want but I get what you are saying. I can see how it would be heavily utilized on the weekends, but that is not enough to drive it forward. If the general system and idea were to be expanded down Woodruff Rd with stations in Magnolia Park and Greenridge it would be even more viable. 

8 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

Mauldin wants to (re-?) create a downtown. They could use this as a jumpstart.

I would personally love it to go from DT Simpsonville to Mauldin to Greenville, then TR. 

1 hour ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

Waste of money.

I’d love to see passenger rail in Greenville but (1) Mauldin to Laurens Road doesn’t have the population density for it and (2) a line to downtown would be better.

It does not have the population density...for now. The Swamp Rabbit extension is going to change that and, well, it has already started. 

There has been four new apartment complexes along Laurens in the past few years. 

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

This proposed line would go downtown. 

You’re right.

Still, there is no need to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on a study.  A few Google searches will show what is needed for a rail line to work: enough population density along the route, a late enough destination and existing transit that is well-used.  That’s what Charlotte had before it began its light rail line.

1 hour ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

You’re right.

Still, there is no need to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on a study.  A few Google searches will show what is needed for a rail line to work: enough population density along the route, a late enough destination and existing transit that is well-used.  That’s what Charlotte had before it began its light rail line.

It's free money to Greenville. Somebody is going to use it. Why not Greenville? Charleston got even more.

58 minutes ago, motonenterprises said:

It's free money to Greenville. Somebody is going to use it. Why not Greenville? Charleston got even more.

Other cities actually have viable transit projects.  Charlotte does.  It would be better to use the money on a study for a project that might actually happen.

16 minutes ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

Other cities actually have viable transit projects.  Charlotte does.  It would be better to use the money on a study for a project that might actually happen.

Maybe, but Greenville isn't going to turn down grant money. Who can blame them. Anything can happen. It's already punched above it's weight in many categories. Glad to call it home.

Edited by motonenterprises

In my thinking..there may not be enough density at the moment, but why couldn't it be set up to serve as a park and ride system. People from Simpsonville/Ft. Inn who don't want to deal with 385 and parking in downtown and ride to a station that is close (Mauldin) and catch a ride in. Put another station like that at 385 and Laurens Road in the I-Car development..maybe swing by with a stop near Greenville Tech (it does have 10,000 students) and then on in to downtown. This could be a lure for companies who don't want to go downtown because of parking problems that exist during business hours Monday-Friday.  But....a rapid bus system could do the same thing for less and would be cool if the buses were equipped with traffic light changing technology so that they didn't get caught at every light.  

If they want it to go downtown, where do you all think the route and stop should be at? I think Washington could work and they could have the stop at the parking garage they own across from Aloft. They could do it in tandem with a redevelopment of that property. Then they could extend it up to the Amtrak station. Thoughts? I know this is all wishful thinking but it’s certainly more fun than working!

• Like 2