Greenville Transit

jarvismj

This is an idea that I just had. With Greenville not meeting air quality standards, or at least coming very close to violating said standards have one or two options. One, mandate that no federal money for any road project, and no federal money for anything that would create more or worsen the air quality. Second idea, is to only allow federal money for rail transit, or segregated ROW mass transit. If we went with the second option, we might have a fighting chance at getting rail here.

This is an idea that I just had. With Greenville not meeting air quality standards, or at least coming very close to violating said standards have one or two options. One, mandate that no federal money for any road project, and no federal money for anything that would create more or worsen the air quality. Second idea, is to only allow federal money for rail transit, or segregated ROW mass transit. If we went with the second option, we might have a fighting chance at getting rail here.

Those would never fly...they're too sapient. :rofl:

I like where you are coming from here, but that is very impractical. What we need are better land use controls, such as zoning. None of the counties in the Upstate have complete zoning. We need to enforce conprehensive plans at the county and regional level, and we need to plan for more integrated mass transit later. Greenville is doing its part. Spartanburg and Anderson are not. Right now, none of our cities need transit, but it will become a major issue later. What we have to do is encourage, butmore importantly, build more sustainable development practices. Suburbanization isn't going anywhere, but there are methods of development, like the new Traditional Neighborhood Developments (TND) or Transportation oreinted Developments (TOD) and a plethora of other buzz words that can be used as models to do this. I think people are starting to realize that, and that the wheels are in motion at some levels. It seems as though the standard residential pattern is not changing yet.

• 2 weeks later...

There was some discussion that the Trail could co-exist with either LRT or BRT and that the trail would use utility rights-of-way to go out and around narrow rail/trail spaces where both couldn't safely co-exist.

Actually, one thing that I had envisioned for this part of an LRT line would be to have the rail tracks seperated from the trail by a wraught iron fence, not some cheap barbed wire fence, but something that could blend well with the trail and the train. I know I'm going to piss someone off here by saying this, but LRT is something that eminent domain should be used for. Lets have the trail, but if the time comes to have LRT to the Travelers Rest area, that needs to and should take presedence over a walking/biking trail.

Actually, one thing that I had envisioned for this part of an LRT line would be to have the rail tracks seperated from the trail by a wraught iron fence, not some cheap barbed wire fence, but something that could blend well with the trail and the train. I know I'm going to piss someone off here by saying this, but LRT is something that eminent domain should be used for. Lets have the trail, but if the time comes to have LRT to the Travelers Rest area, that needs to and should take presedence over a walking/biking trail.

LRT into Travelers Rest from Downtown Greenville isn't as high of a priority in my mind (and keep in mind that I live here) as it should be for the Golden Strip area and for Easley/Greer. Although I have no demographic data to back this up, I base this on my own observations...keep in mind the mindset of and the type of people that are moving into Travelers Rest. They're outdoorsmen/outdoorswomen. They're tirathletes. They're marathoners. They're cyclists. They're hikers. They're raising their kids to be physically fit as well (for the most part). Do you think these people would rather use LRT or run/hike/bike on a trail?

Edited by RestedTraveler

I read the news articles concerning the WCR and found it to be fascinating that someone would form a company, without any obvious financing, to build rail transit. Given that he has to come up with $750K to purchase the 11 mile rail line (seems like a bargain) and that is just the start, it doesn't look as if this line will have rail transit on it anytime soon.

I read the news articles concerning the WRC and found it to be fascinating that someone would form a company, without any obvious financing, to build rail transit. Given that he has to come up with $750K to purchase the 11 mile rail line (seems like a bargain) and that is just the start, it doesn't look as if this line will have rail transit on it anytime soon.

I was never really clear on whether he had intended for this to be rail transit or freight. I had always been under the impression that it was going to be a freight line, based on the news reports.

The reasons he wants to purchase the line do seem to be very questionable. It's fairly easy to incorporate a company and put up an official website that doesnt really say much. My guess is that if he could get the land for $47K then it was probably a good idea for whatever purpose that he had. (probably as an investment to sell at a future date back to the county for rail service, at great profit of course). However having to come up with over $700K is quite another matter all together. I guess we will see if there is any real backing behind his words.

My guess is that his option will expire.

The reasons he wants to purchase the line do seem to be very questionable. It's fairly easy to incorporate a company and put up an official website that doesnt really say much. My guess is that if he could get the land for $47K then it was probably a good idea for whatever purpose that he had. (probably as an investment to sell at a future date back to the county for rail service, at great profit of course). However having to come up with over $700K is quite another matter all together. I guess we will see if there is any real backing behind his words.

My guess is that his option will expire.

It's all but already settled though: http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/.../LINK/603290426

Very nice article. And, once again, for the record: I am NOT Jim Hennigan (for those of you that remember that discussion). :rofl: I do like the way he put this vision together though. :thumbsup:

It'll hopefully be a sooner than 30-40 years; however, you raise a good point g-man. A lot of the funding for such transit comes from the federal budget and that budget is in a bad way at the moment.

Now if I could get photo credits for the photo he has posted on the article. If you notice, its the very first Greenville photo of the day!

Whoa...you're not kidding. I thought it looked familiar, but I figured anyone can go out and take a photo in Falls Park, but after I read this, I had to go take a 2nd look...and you're absolutely right. Hopefully you've e-mailed him. :blink:

Wait a minute...your name is very similar to his...are you sure you're not Jim Hennigan, NYT? :rofl:

Edited by RestedTraveler